ICM 1/32 AH-1G (Early Production)

On 6/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, stakor said:

I started with this kit and I am wondering if MRC Uh-1C engin can be used... It looks like this..

IMG_20210625_204627_000~2.jpg

If you happen to have or are able to get one, the Revell Huey or Cobra kits both came with an engine and transmission. Since they are 1/32, the engine may fit better.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, goose814 said:

If you happen to have or are able to get one, the Revell Huey or Cobra kits both came with an engine and transmission. Since they are 1/32, the engine may fit better.

I forgot to check that. Good idea but I already closed the fuselage.. But I think I prefer MRC/Academy. 

20210629_171612.jpg

20210629_172944.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The ICM AH-1G arrived here last week. I'm very happy with it.

There is some awesome knowledge and skills here. I'm not that much of an expert, but I have been interested in the AH-1G for a couple of decades. I have the Revell kit and the Cobra Comany upgrades and Werner's Wings vac-form canopy.

The ICM kit may help me get started on building a couple of Cobra's...with all the rare and no longer obtainable bits, I was always a bit hesitant to start building.

The "not much of an expert" bit is not false modesty, until I saw this thread I had no idea about the blue canopies!

Here's couple of things I'd like to run by you guys.

*I saw a cockpit illustration once, I think it was in the old Squadron Signal "Gunslingers" book, and there was one part of the instrument panel described as "ash-tray". Was that for real? It seems unbelievable today, but then there are the pictures of guys with cigarettes loading rockets on AH-1G's.

*The ICM kit has part C52 to use as a VHF/UHF antenna under the tailboom. If one builds an earlier Cobra with the UHF/VHF antenna "in the doghouse", should any of that antenna be visible? 

* I don't recall seeing a picture of a Cobra in Vietnam that had the unfaired skids. Is it correct that these are post-Vietnam thing?  

Cheers, Stefan.

Ash-Tray:  Yes, smoking was as much 'a-thing' in the 60s as it is 'not-a-thing' today.

UHF/VHF Antenna:  Not at all visible in the early cobras.

Unfaired skids: I believe it was a cost / weight saving measure initiated in the early to mid-70s. 

Here is my ICM AH-1G with Fireball Modelworks and Werner's Wings decals.  This is a very early version.  Werner's Wings Dust Deflectors were added to the hub.  The rest is pretty out of the box.  I did add Archer rivets to the underside of the tailboom and where I sanded them off.  I would have rather had recessed rivets.  This was a pain.  Look for it in the August issue of Scale Aviation Modeler International.

Floyd

IMG_7877small.jpg

Looks nice, Floyd.

I had been planning to do almost the same as you: a first build that pretty close to out of the box and some with more aftermarket later on. I also picked the Playboys decal option from Fireball Modelworks for the first one.  

I'm planning to use 4 XM-200 rocket pods and the bunny with the black background...and ignore that there are no rivets on the underside of the tailboom.

I'll do some experimenting with Tamiya X-23 on a spare canopy for the blue glass look.

Cheers, Stefan. 

Nice work Floyd, I especially like the rotor blade tie-down.   Any chance you have a pic of the underside of the tail boom so we can see how it came out?    What size rivets did you use?  

23 hours ago, 11bee said:

Nice work Floyd, I especially like the rotor blade tie-down.   Any chance you have a pic of the underside of the tail boom so we can see how it came out?    What size rivets did you use?  

I can't remember.  I measured the kit spacing and found some rivets that worked.  MicroMark also produces decals for significantly less month.

Floyd

7 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Here you can see the "ash receiver" circles in green on a AH-1G pilot instrument panel.  

Ray

Thanks, Ray.

I'm not a smoker myself, but I find it quite interesting that the AH-1G came with a built-in ashtray.

It's a bit like all the smoking that can be seen in the movie "Once upon a time in Hollywood".

Cheers, Stefan.

13 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Thanks, Ray.

I'm not a smoker myself, but I find it quite interesting that the AH-1G came with a built-in ashtray.

It's a bit like all the smoking that can be seen in the movie "Once upon a time in Hollywood".

Cheers, Stefan.

In the mid-1960s, 45% of Americans smoked.  In fact, it's ironic that in Vietnam the US Army had an ongoing anti-smoking campaign, because smoking was "hazardous to your health".  Tell that to combat troops..

4 hours ago, FM-Whip said:

In the mid-1960s, 45% of Americans smoked.  In fact, it's ironic that in Vietnam the US Army had an ongoing anti-smoking campaign, because smoking was "hazardous to your health".  Tell that to combat troops..

Like a number of ideas over there, that’s not going to work. 

2 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

This is part A5 from the kit.

wBBxC9V.jpg

I believe that the bit that I circled in yellow is part of the ECU.

As I'm building an early Cobra without the ECU, I'm going to remove it.  

Cheers, Stefan.

This is indeed for the ventilation system, but a common misconception is that pre ECU birds didn't have the system. As this diagram form the 1967 AH-1g dash 10 manual shows, they did, it just didn't carry cold air but instead recirculated air form outside.

603800763_AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00001_Page_142.thumb.jpg.840348fd97e27c3a285237a963ba5d8e.jpg

In bird with the ECU there would be little visible difference in the cockpit.  

1453465150_AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00001_Page_144.thumb.jpg.cf4237eeb4c11a6a67d1c972ce73d070.jpg

However, this vent on the left side would be visible on ECU equipped birds.

image.thumb.png.6bf237edd0d202ce76725d15e857fb49.png 

Bit not on birds like these that lacked the ECU.  Bell photo.

582839782_004777_AH-1Gcroppedsmall.thumb.jpg.ea1882707ec2201621ebe2ffd3a112ea.jpg

Edited by rotorwash