ICM 1/32 AH-1G (Early Production)

Hi,

Now that I may have given some of you the bright idea to replace the minigun in the nose turret with the Master set for the Vulcan, I must warn you. It was simply beyond my ability to assemble that.

The parts are really beautiful, but I just couldn't get them alligned and into the tiny round bits with six holes in them.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2021 at 2:55 PM, hueycrew said:

Why did they decide to make the MR is 4 pieces? I saw the kit the other day. Struck me as odd.

Hi,

Yeah, struck me as a bit odd as well, but I carefully cleaned up the parts and they went together quite well. 

I haven't had much modeling time recently, but I did see this announced om Britmodeller SH32082 AH-1G Cobra ‘Early Tails over Vietnam’ Hi-Tech Kit 1/32 - rendery Hi-Tech obsahu (specialhobby.net)

It's a reboxing of the ICM Cobra by Special Hobby with all sorts of update parts. Lots of stuff that has been discussed earlier in this thread, like the HUD, the XM-158's and the minigun. I think better looking hoses for the ECS too.

I obviously haven't seen the parts, but I'm quite interested in that reboxing.

Cheers, Stefan. 

I can’t wait to see the Special Hobby release.  I will be starting the Late one shortly.  

I am waiting on the Eduard stuff.  I’ll throw all of that at the set.  Hopefully Special Hobbies, CMK or Resikit will come out with those updates.  While I’d like to, I just don’t have enough CAD guys that are willing to do that stuff.  

I’d love to do decals as well but again I’d need decal artists.  

The kit is far superior to the Revell one.  It could have been better.  I’m surprised no one has mentioned the lack of rivets or panel lines on the bottom of the tailboom.  By the way, the raised rivets are a pain in the arse to replace when you have to.  I’ll take recessed any day. 

All the things mentioned already, XM-73 site, XM-158 pods, collective, seatbelts, screened inlets and a bunch of other things could be improved, but overall I liked building it more than the Revell kit.  The fit and external detail is superior in every respect, especially the belly panel.

I’ve got two others already and I’ll get the Special Hobbies one as well.  
Floyd

Floyd, 

Have you seen the Quinta 3D printed decals for the IP and other details yet?  They look awesome.  I have a set that will go into/on the ICM kit.  I bet they would fit the old Revell kit as well.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

You can order the Quinta sets at Hobbynut Models.  That’s where I got my sets from.  They seem to be getting restocks pretty regularly.

https://www.hobbynutmodels.com/collections/3d-print-detail/products/1-32-quinta-studio-ah-1g-cobra-3d-printed-interior-for-icm-kit-32068

Sprue Brothers has also started carrying some sets.

23 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Floyd, 

Have you seen the Quinta 3D printed decals for the IP and other details yet?  They look awesome.  I have a set that will go into/on the ICM kit.  I bet they would fit the old Revell kit as well.

s-l1600.jpg

I knew they existed but haven’t gotten a set yet

Floyd

Hi Guys. Just wanted to drop a short note and thank you all for contributing to this thread! I started my build about a week ago and this thread has been a goldmine in terms of references and information. I really appreciate your dedication to the subject, as I have profited from it immensely. 

On 9/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, HeavyArty said:

Floyd, 

s-l1600.jpg

I have two sets of these and two sets of the Eduard PE parts and another two PE sets from a Russian company I found on Ebay that looked interesting.  I'll throw all that I have at my next one which will have the M-35 system.  I still have some Fireball Modelworks decals so I may redo Cindy Ann since I sold the last one.

Speaking of decals, if you or anyone you know has any good pictures of an AH-1G in Vietnam or markings that you might like done let me know.  No promises but if I don't have the photos then I can promise you it won't be done.   I have John Brennan's books, all of them, so any others that you or a family member may have flown PM me.  Werner's Wings is planning on doing a sheet of 9-10 AH-1Gs.  It will take some time but we'll do it.

Not sure of a resin set yet.  Might use some of Fireball Modelworks stuff and some Werner' Wings CAD stuff that we did for the AH-1F Super Conversion that will work on the AH-1G as well.  I might even release a limited edition two PE fret set that I had done up for the AH-1F that will work on this kit as well.

Floyd

43 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Speaking of decals, if you or anyone you know has any good pictures of an AH-1G in Vietnam or markings that you might like done let me know.  No promises but if I don't have the photos then I can promise you it won't be done.   I have John Brennan's books, all of them, so any others that you or a family member may have flown PM me.  Werner's Wings is planning on doing a sheet of 9-10 AH-1Gs.  It will take some time but we'll do it.

Wow! That's really great news about the decals. Thanks, Floyd.:thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I bought the Master set of 1/32 Vulcan barrels in anticipation of one with the M-35 system.

Just gambling that I'll do better with this than in 1/72 scale. It's Set No AM-32-029.

Cheers, Stefan. 

On 9/17/2021 at 5:08 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Not sure of a resin set yet.  Might use some of Fireball Modelworks stuff and some Werner' Wings CAD stuff that we did for the AH-1F Super Conversion that will work on the AH-1G as well.  I might even release a limited edition two PE fret set that I had done up for the AH-1F that will work on this kit as well.

Floyd

Floyd, I believe you saw my FB post?  Plenty of needed resin for the kit too.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I've just finished my ICM Cobra and as I profited very much from the intel on this thread I thought I'd post it. I know that some details are not quite right (as the kit has them wrong in the first place, especially on the tail section). But some of them are right thanks to the info and the photos you provided here!

I built the model more or less as it comes out the box, I just added (cheated with...) the Quinta cockpit set and the M134D is from Live Resin. Anyway - thanks again for providing the materials that helped me with this build. 

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

The Quinta instrument panels work great and fit perfectly.  Here is mine installed in the AH-1G Late cockpit along with some Eduard, a Russian company from Ebay, Cobra Company stuff, some Werner's Wings items that I'm debating on selling and some scratch built things.  Overall pretty happy.

I had to lighten the photo so you could see the instrument panel properly.

Floyd

IMG_1319small.jpg.b0200486f0645802feb7f96c058f6e50.jpg

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.