CD48215 - 1/48 FB-111A Part 2

Please excuse my asking, Im asking because I dont know as Ive never used them (are they all really that bad)?.

Why do aftermarket decal makers keep remaking decal sheets over and over again?

The Tiger meet markings on the FB-111A are in the Hobby boss kit. Why then would you go to the effort of making a sheet with them on when with the same effort you could well do a completely different aircraft and end up with two sets of markings instead of the same aircraft done twice over.

The F-111E sheet is a really good example of that. Ive got it but Ive also already got most of those markings... Heartbreaker, June nite, My Lucky Blonde, The Chief, Whispering Death, Tiger meet '91...

All been done to death for the F-111E and Caracal helped do them to death.

Why?

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Depends; 
Sometimes kit decals leaves a lot to be desired, even if the markings are attractive. There's plenty of kit manufacturers who had less than good quality on their decals, even if things in general seems to be improving. 
Other times it could be related to availability of resource photos, again other times the devil is in the details whereby nose art and the like is done (much) better by an aftermarket maker compared to a kit maker.  

I can only answer this specifically for myself:  I think the HobbyBoss kit is junk and I would never buy it just to get the tiger stripe decals.  I have two Academy kits that, while not perfect, catches the shapes better and don't have overdone rivets in fantasy places.  I have every faith in Kursad making a better job of it, and the decals will be printed by the best in the business.

Yeah I must say the Trumpeter (and the companies they OEM for) have decals that leave a lot to be desired.

Tamiya kit decals aint that great either.

Cant agree on the HobbyBoss F-111 kit. Its much the same as the Academy kit in different ways. Neither are good.

I don't consider the HobbyBoss tiger meet marking usable as many stencils are not in the correct color. Tail stripes are OK but includes the yellow background which most will prefer to paint. Love this bird so will pick up the Caracal sheet. Although I just got the Dark Vark sheet...guess I'll need another model 😊.

Kursad, Do you plan to update your CDB48001 FB-111A Basics decal from the "Dark Vark"scheme to the SIOP scheme to go along with this new sheet?  Some of the stencils are the wrong color for the SIOP scheme. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nine options on this sheet - there is also a black insert (not shown) with black markings such as the Tiger Meet stripes for the tail, crew names and numbers on the front landing gear doors, etc.

cd48215.jpg

Gawgeous!  Just gawgeous!  Ayuh!  

Kursad, will you include a set of RAM panels with the black sheet as well?  Or do we need to buy the FB-111A Basics sheet? K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
On 7/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, KursadA said:

No RAM panels with this one - sorry. There was no space for them.

Kursad, When you do the 1/72 sheet, can you add one or two sets of RAM panels to that sheet please? K/r, Dutch

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, When you do the 1/72 sheet, can you add one or two sets of RAM panels to that sheet please? K/r, Dutch

Dutch,

These RAM panels are easy enough to cut out of colored decals sheet, which is what I plan to do if I ever have time to build one of my Hasegawa FBs.  Also I believe the panels were sometimes two different colors. . .  Dark rust color, and gray.  Somewhere In one of my Aardvark books I've seen them. Maybe early vs. late??

Rod.

• 1 month later...