CD48216 - 1/48 US Navy A-7A/B

• 1 month later...

I was able to fit five options on this one. There is obviously a separate stencilling/national insignia sheet and a black/white insert with the modex numbers and other black markings (not shown).

cd48216.jpg

3 hours ago, Rod D said:

That VA72 Corsair clinched it for me.  Checkerboard markings for the rudder?

Of course - as I mentioned. some of the black/white markings are on the insert that is not shown above.

I looked at a lot of photographs and interpreted this to be black. However, insignia blue looks very close to black in many photographs and I may have been mistaken.

If anyone know for sure that these markings were black, it can still be sorted out with an insignia blue correction insert - please let me know.

In the earlier picture I posted, it looked black.  In this shot, when comparing the letters, hawk and rudder checkerboards to the wing/stabilizer tips, the latter look lighter, more blue.  At least to me and my 55 year old eyes!

I hope others can confirm the correct color, because this is a classy Corsair scheme.

.  LTV_A-7B_154498_VA-72_JFK_Spit_24_10.76_edited-2.thumb.jpg.bee3c93b84e1f623717be766a54f06cc.jpg

The checkers, fin tip and wing tip color matches the red-white-blue on the fuselage stipes and insignia, hence I consider these blue.
While the eagle head and chevron appears black to me - also they align more with NAVY than the colored stipes on the fuselage. 

Edited by Niels
On 7/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, Stephen said:

Hobbyboss I would imagine.

Yuck! Please, no!  With a bit of work, I believe the excellent Hasegawa kit can be converted to early Corsairs.  IIRC I think it was Steel Beach or someone who made conversion sets to backdate Hasegawa A-7Es.  I think Cutting Edge also made a set.

Edited by JackMan

I am by no means an expert, but the late A-7E CAG & CO Birds that flew in Desert Storm had black hawk chevron, with blue checkerboards, blue vertical tail tips, a blue actual hawk logo, and in some cases a red/white/blue fuselage/Langley stripe. I am doubtful that the squadron would go from black markings to blue to do a retro throwback scheme. Also, the squadron’s name WAS the Blue Hawks. Just my .02 - YMMV. 

14 hours ago, JackMan said:

Yuck! Please, no!  With a bit of work, I believe the excellent Hasegawa kit can be converted to early Corsairs.  IIRC I think it was Steel Beach or someone who made conversion sets to backdate Hasegawa A-7Es.  I think Cutting Edge also made a set.

That would be ideal if either of those companies were still in business. 

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

That would be ideal if either of those companies were still in business. 

You're right.  Hasegawa is quite capable of producing multiple variants of the same aircraft ( eg Zero,  Skyhawk, etc). I wonder why they didn't do the same for A-7 & F-8 Crusaders?  I think early versions of the A-7 & F-8 would be quite popular. 

• 7 months later...

I was not aware of the CAT4 intake correction set (thanks, Collin), it was a nice surprise to learn that there is now a way to correct the most glaring issue of the HB kit. Unfortunately it is a Ukrainian company and availability may be a problem, so get yours while you still can.

s-l500.jpg

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

I was not aware of the CAT4 intake correction set (thanks, Collin), it was a nice surprise to learn that there is now a way to correct the most glaring issue of the HB kit. Unfortunately it is a Ukrainian company and availability may be a problem, so get yours while you still can.

s-l500.jpg

Mine was mailed to me the day before the invasion. Their website is still up, they say go ahead and place your order(s). Once they kick the Russians out…they will ship. 

Collin