What's a good, really cheap 1/72-1/48 kit for someone looking to get into the hobby again after years and relearn everything (incl. and esp. basic glue and airbrush fundamentals)

Whew, quite a title I know. But I think that pretty much gets everything.

Subject isn't really all that much of a concern other than I feel like a classic prop whether it be a Messer, Mustang, Spitfire whatever. 1/72 preferred just because of space concerns. Along those lines I feel like a single-prop too. Other than that, umm, whatev I guess.

I'm thinking probably an Airfix, Italeri or Mono/Revell kit is going to fit the bill but that still leaves a lot open for suggestion, especially for any of you who has a preference for a particular kit you think will fit the bill.

Edited by Just call me Ray

There are lots of options, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions. Have to ask: what is your idea of "really cheap," and how much are you willing to spend? If I were in your shoes, I'd want at least a decently fitting kit that's not going to fight me every step of the way; so you might want to consider spending a bit more than the bare minimum - say something in the $15 to $30 range.

Can’t go wrong with any of the Pegasus 1/48 kits. They’re snap but benefit greatly from glue. Simple details, good airbrush palettes. Can easily find them under $20. I personally like their V-2 (I’ve built two so far and have 3 more in progress) as well as their P-51B. Google them, you’ll find some nice build ups. 

For a return-to-the-hobby kit, I'd go for something that fits well and isn't too fussy. Personally, I'd stay away form the old(er) Airfix, Revell and Italeri kits and go for something more modern tooling-wise. They may not even be that more expensive. Basically as seawinder said. You can always deal with the less well-fitting kits later. I've never understood recommending older kits to beginners and returners. If you're getting into making silk purses, why not start with a fuss-free and vice-less silk purse kit? Why start with a sow's ear? Sure, they're cheap and getting to the silk purse will teach you a lot of things fast, but maybe frustrate as well due to the learning curve.

Thankfully, there are loads of recent kits that are both detailed and fit well.

Some 1/72 suggestions:

P-51D Mustang - Airfix' recent kits - cheap and good

Spitfire Mk. V - have read good things about Airfix' recent kit

Spitfire Mk. IX and VIII - Eduard- well-detailed, but maybe a bit on the fussy side as far as assembly is concerned. Nothing too bad, though, and the best kits in the scale.

Me 109F - Zvezda -  I think they're technically snap-fit kits, but well detailed nonetheless. And a bit of glue won't hurt.

Me 109G - Tamiya - maybe a bit more expensive than your average 1/72 WWII prop, but a gem of a kit.

P-47 - Tamiya for a fuss-free build

F4U Corsair - Tamiya

Fw 190 - Zvezda do a snap-fit kit that's rather nice. Maybe a better choice for a return-to-the-hobby kit than Eduard's really nice 190s. Same as with their Spits: good kits, but fairly involved.

Oh, and one tip for a returner. When I returned to the hobby as far as building the things is concerned (never stopped collecting :rolleyes:), Tamiya's Extra-Thin cement has been a revelation! Far easier to locate and then cement than it is to cement and then locate the parts. Tidiness as far as seams are concerned improved dramatically. I can't imagine going back to Revell's Contacta Professional. I mean, that one still has its uses, but for 99% of glue jobs, Tamiya's Extra-Thin is just so much easier, quicker and tidier. Hold the parts together so they fit, apply a little cement with the built-in brush and voilà! The Extra-Thin Quick-Setting version is even better.

I agree with the Pegasus Models suggestion. 

Stay away from anything from PM Models or Zhengdefu, no matter how inexpensive they might be priced. You will spend more on filler and aspirin. 

After a quick look at eBay:

Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire Mk. I and virtually any of their 1/72 aircraft offerings will be well engineered and fun to build.

I'd say the same thing about their 1/48 kits, although some of them, like the A6M2 Zero, are older molds; but you're obviously going to pay more for them. Still, I saw a 1/48 P-47M at eBay for $20-$30 plus shipping.

I just built an Airfix 1/48 P-40B and enjoyed it very much. They've got two boxings, one US and one Commonwealth.

Personally I'd suggest any of Tamiya 1/48 scale single engine fighter kits, like the P-51.  They have fewer parts, fit like a dream and look great if finished using their paints and so on.  While I love the Airfix P-51 it is more work to get a finished model out of it, and the Eduard P-51 - lets just say not for someone just getting back into the hobby.  I would next recommend most Hasegawa 1/48 single engine fighters.   My thinking is to start with something that if you bought the model, followed the suggest build and colors you'd end up with a good looking and successful build and a good experience.  Starting off with something that may be little more complicated may lead to an bad experience and cooling you renewed interest in the hobby.  Tamiya P-51's for example typically run between 22-25 dollars.  Buy good brushes not cheap.  Buy quality paints, again I'd start off with Tamiya colors, and even use Tamiya's spray can silver.  I'd recommend an online shop like Sprue Brothers or Scale Hobbist (there are other stores out there too) as they ship fast and prices are good.   Start off easy, have a fun build and a good experience.  Stay away from any urge to buy resin, etch metal or a lot of aftermarket, just keep it simple.  Although I would recommend a canopy mask set from say Eduard and yes  a supply of Tamiya tape.     

4 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Personally I'd suggest any of Tamiya 1/48 scale single engine fighter kits, like the P-51.  They have fewer parts, fit like a dream and look great if finished using their paints and so on.  While I love the Airfix P-51 it is more work to get a finished model out of it, and the Eduard P-51 - lets just say not for someone just getting back into the hobby.  I would next recommend most Hasegawa 1/48 single engine fighters.   My thinking is to start with something that if you bought the model, followed the suggest build and colors you'd end up with a good looking and successful build and a good experience.  Starting off with something that may be little more complicated may lead to an bad experience and cooling you renewed interest in the hobby.  Tamiya P-51's for example typically run between 22-25 dollars.  Buy good brushes not cheap.  Buy quality paints, again I'd start off with Tamiya colors, and even use Tamiya's spray can silver.  I'd recommend an online shop like Sprue Brothers or Scale Hobbist (there are other stores out there too) as they ship fast and prices are good.   Start off easy, have a fun build and a good experience.  Stay away from any urge to buy resin, etch metal or a lot of aftermarket, just keep it simple.  Although I would recommend a canopy mask set from say Eduard and yes  a supply of Tamiya tape.     

If this forum had a LIKE button, I would have clicked it.

Thanks everyone! I was tempted to order online but I ended up just going to the local hobby store (HobbyTown USA) and picked up what they had - an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire, a Revell 1/48 P-40 and P-51 and the infamous 1/48 P-61 (the last two are particularly for nostalgia) along with the Revell 1/144 Saturn V (can't wait to see how it compares to the LEGO version!)

They did indeed have a wide selection of Tamiya kits but they were priced something like twice as much as the Airfix and Revell offerings. Maybe next time.

Edited by Just call me Ray
9 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

The new tool Tamiya Bf 109G-6.   Basically a single sprue and the best fitting kit I’ve ever built.   Tons of paint scheme options!  $20ish dollars.   

Steve

I'll look into it! Any way I can tell from the box if it's the new tool? I have no idea how fresh or new the inventory is at the local hobby shop, unless you suggest I just order online.

29 minutes ago, Just call me Ray said:

I'll look into it! Any way I can tell from the box if it's the new tool? I have no idea how fresh or new the inventory is at the local hobby shop, unless you suggest I just order online.

There is no old tool version of the Tamiya 1/48 Bf109G-6.  He just meant it’s a recent kit.

Honestly, for someone just getting into airbrushing, I wouldn’t get a WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft.  The late war mottling camo may be a bit much for a first go.  A simpler paint scheme on a US or RAF aircraft might be better.

12 hours ago, Just call me Ray said:

What Dave said- it’s just new.  You can easily order it online or eBay for cheap.  The kit looks like this:

DLKjYpm.jpg

11 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

There is no old tool version of the Tamiya 1/48 Bf109G-6.  He just meant it’s a recent kit.

Honestly, for someone just getting into airbrushing, I wouldn’t get a WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft.  The late war mottling camo may be a bit much for a first go.  A simpler paint scheme on a US or RAF aircraft might be better.

I agree that the camo is more complex, but this is the best fitting 1/72 kit ever made.  It improves upon the earlier Tamiya 1/72 kits.  The engineering ensures perfect alignment of the landing gear and tail and it’s almost like building a LEGO set in terms of positive fit.   The kit is also engineered to allow you to paint the lower cowl and tail (typically RLM 04) separately and then attach afterwards (again, basically click fit with just a dab of Tamiya extra thin on the interior alignment tabs to secure everything).   

ECw44OS.jpg

If you are feeling up to trying a Luftwaffe scheme, I’d give it a shot! You can build up this kit in a few hours and have it ready to paint.   One Saturday or a few evenings.   Mottling doesn’t have to be perfect and you can work on and overcome those airbrush “fears” earlier rather than later.   Just grab a spare sheet of paper or plasticard, thin the paint to skim milk, dial the airbrush pressure down to 10-12 PSI, and spray close (start at 1” away from the model).   If you hate it, it was a $25 learning experience towards improvement 😜

Cheers
🍻 
LYBJiKm.jpg

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

I suggest that Ray's early visits to the workbench be confined to 1/48 models.  I found  1/72 stuff really small and fiddly for initial building experience when I picked up post-retirement. 

I also found that the ARII/AMT 1/48 models were simple and straightforward and built up well, although I have no idea of current availability or which name's now on the boxes.