A-7E VA-12 TPS which yellow for radome tip?

Hello community,

VA-12 Corsair II's featured a yellow redone tip during their 83 Med Cruise. Could someone point out to me, which yellow was used?

Here

is a link to the decal sheet and jet I refer to.

Thanks

Michael

The yellow is actually clear rubberized rain erosion tape that has yellowed over time. It is the same tape that used to be applied to the leading edge of Navy aircraft back in the 70's and early 80's. There is no "true" color since each aircraft would weather/fade differently over time. I would say make the color translucent. I've seen that tape fade to either a greenish, tan'ish and yellowish color, just depending how long it's been on the aircraft the base color under it.

It is not bare fiberglass 😉

hth

GW

10 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

clear rubberized rain erosion tape

That's a thing I didn't know existed!

So, went playing in Google.

It appears to be available in transparent, black, grey. Also usable on leading edge of helicopter rotor blades.

Is listed with several other kinds of tapes here, https://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/4289/3MAerospace

Hmm, interesting, the tape can be painted over;

3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8663 is an erosion protection tape and primarily used on aircraft leading edges such as vertical stabilizers. It is constructed of a polyurethane backing coated with a long-aging, solvent-resistant, pressure sensitive adhesive that is protected with a transparent easy-release liner.

The transparent tape can be painted or applied over painted surfaces.

A polyethylene liner helps protect the adhesive from contamination prior to bonding. 3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8663 is qualified to leading aircraft manufacturer specifications for protection from sand and rain erosion.

Provides erosion protection to help reduce maintenance cost; Tough, thermoplastic polyurethane elastomer is abrasion, scratch, erosion, tear and puncture-resistant; Long-aging, solvent-resistant, pressure-sensitive acrylic adhesive is protected by a transparent release liner; Acrylic adhesive bonds to a wide variety of substrates and retains bond strength over time, yet removes easily when needed; Transparent tape is easy to apply and conforms over curved surfaces; Tape can be painted or applied to painted surfaces

https://shop.boeing.com/aviation-supply/p/8663-3=27

If it were me modeling this tape, in order to show that something other than plain aircraft surface is there, I might tint transparent paint to the just barely yellowish hue seen in image of new roll of tape on page.

Edited by southwestforests

I don't think that was the tape that was used 40-50 years ago, the tape that was used was about a 1/16th to an 1/8 of a inch thick.

If it can be used on the leading edge of rotor blades, it's too thin. The stuff used back then was thick, you could see the step and when sliding a tool box over it it would catch the bottom lip of the tool box.

We had it on our birds when I was in VA-82 back in 85, was on the leading edges of the UHT's. VS-24's S-3's and VA-35 A-6E's had some birds that had it applied also.

Thanks Gents,

it is awesome to be able to get access to the groups' knowledge.

So I guess I will apply some clear yellow mixed with a bit of clear orange. Will see what I can achieve.

Cheers

Michael

16 hours ago, GW8345 said:

The yellow is actually clear rubberized rain erosion tape that has yellowed over time. It is the same tape that used to be applied to the leading edge of Navy aircraft back in the 70's and early 80's...

Question for GW8345: I'm familiar with erosion tape, and I assume it comes in linear strips/rolls for application on leading edge surfaces.  How was it applied to the compound curves of a radome?  

For large areas they used one piece and cut it to fit the area. I believe the stuff came in either large sheets or a roll, all the radomes I saw that had, it was one piece, not multiple pieces.

I never saw it actually being put on, I've only seen it once it was on the plane.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:11 PM, GW8345 said:

I don't think that was the tape that was used 40-50 years ago, the tape that was used was about a 1/16th to an 1/8 of a inch thick.

If it can be used on the leading edge of rotor blades, it's too thin. The stuff used back then was thick, you could see the step and when sliding a tool box over it it would catch the bottom lip of the tool box.

Ah. Well, considering I came in to this not knowing such tape even existed, it would make sense for me not to know that."
Is interesting to learn from those who have personal experience.

12 hours ago, GW8345 said:

For large areas they used one piece and cut it to fit the area. I believe the stuff came in either large sheets or a roll, all the radomes I saw that had, it was one piece, not multiple pieces.

I never saw it actually being put on, I've only seen it once it was on the plane.

Thanks GW