Looking to get my very first airbrush as a complete noob, need to know everything I need

You will need:

An air source (usually a compressor)

An Airbrush

A hose to connect the airbrush to the hose

paint

thinner

Lots of practice

some way of moving Fumes from the room in which you are spraying, such as a spray booth

helpful things:

Interdental brushes for cleaning

mixing cups or tattoo ink cups for  mixing paint out side the airbrush

Disposable droppers for measuring paint and thinner

Extra needle and nozzle

plastic jaw pliers

I am sure i am forgetting something, but hopefully you get the idea.

Oh boy!!!!  There is SOOOOO much I would like to tell you, if you're open to it.  My first question to you would be to ask what kind of person you, in terms of material items.  Are you the kind of person that is satisfied with less expensive items, or are you, like I am, usually better off getting higher end stuff right from the beginning, because I know that I won't be happy with the lower end stuff.  If you can answer that, and give us some idea of what you are willing to spend for the items you want, it would be easier to specify some of the equipment we might recommend.

Edited by Curt B

If I were looking for my first airbrush, I'd pick up one of those $15 Harbor Freight deals, and a cheap pancake compressor. After a dozen or so models you'll know how to use it, and what you like/don't like about it. Then you'll have a better idea what you want without dropping 3-$400 at the start.

Just my suggestion.

3 hours ago, Bill Staudt said:

If I were looking for my first airbrush, I'd pick up one of those $15 Harbor Freight deals, and a cheap pancake compressor. After a dozen or so models you'll know how to use it, and what you like/don't like about it. Then you'll have a better idea what you want without dropping 3-$400 at the start.

Just my suggestion.

+1

Even if you end up purchasing higher end equipment, starting out with ‘bargain’ stuff will give you a better idea what you like or don’t like. 

I started with an inexpensive, siphon style single action, and I didn't like it at all. My second airbrush was an Iwata HP-C and it is just a joy to use.  

A less expensive airbrush is OK, but get a gravity fed one that is reasonably similar to an HP-C.  I bought a modest price compressor.  Make sure you get one that's quiet enough you won't mind it in your ear.  

A vent hood is an absolute requirement as well. 

I think it's Iwata's the local shop carries! I'll ask if they've got any HP-Cs.

And yeah I should also look at building a vent hood, although I was thinking mostly doing it either in my garage or even outdoors.

Procuring a high quality/silent compressor is often the primary financial burden in a scenario like this. I was a grown man before i could buy one such for myself and oh boy it is SO worth it. As for airbrushes, you may obtain several different ones for your stash but as far as compressors, you usually only carry one in your arsenal over a long period of time. For sure look for used compressors unless you come fully loaded. Here`s one airbrush i find very attractive and good quality.  

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2198

Throwing my two cents in here, get a California Air Tools compressor, you won't be sorry. Very quiet and dependable. I've had mine since 2015 and no complaints at all with it. I drain it after every use and leave the petcock open until, I go to use it again.

(edited)_IMG_7135.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

As for airbrushes, there are LOTS of options. You'll need to decide if you want a siphon feed (cup on the bottom ) or, a gravity feed ( cup on top ). You DO NOT need to spend big money for a good brush. Again, just my opinion but, I've been a Paasche guy my whole life. Good, dependable, affordable, simple to clean brushes. I have the VL type airbrushes ( 25+ years now ), I have three different bodies set up with a #1, #3 and, #5 needle in each body because I got tired of swapping over for different painting applications. These are my "workhorses" and I've NEVER had any issues with them. I think my work, that I've shared here on the forums, using the Paasche brushes speaks for itself.

Paasche also makes a nice gravity feed airbrush, the Talon. I'm considering one because the cup is on top. Sometimes the cup on the bottom gets in the way. I also have a Grex Tritium TG3, a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR plus and, a Mr. Hobby / GSI Creos Custom 0.18 for my small detail work.

Your also gonna need some kind of spray booth that vents outside, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SPRAYING.

Again, all this is just my opinion and, what I've used over the years. You'll find what works for you, good luck

Steve

I second the California Air Tools compressor. Very quiet and so far reliable and reasonable price. I got a smaller one and it’s more than enough for all day airbrushing. 

https://www.cpooutlets.com/california-air-tools-cat-1p1060sp-0.6-hp-1-gallon-oil-free-hand-carry-air-compressor/clfncat-1p1060sp.html?ref=pla-mobile&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=clfncat-1p1060sp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi-HrnuuD8QIVkxatBh3xrQR1EAQYASABEgJnZvD_BwE

Edited by kozlok
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

Throwing my two cents in here, get a California Air Tools compressor, you won't be sorry. Very quiet and dependable. I've had mine since 2015 and no complaints at all with it. I drain it after every use and leave the petcock open until, I go to use it again.

(edited)_IMG_7135.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

As for airbrushes, there are LOTS of options. You'll need to decide if you want a siphon feed (cup on the bottom ) or, a gravity feed ( cup on top ). You DO NOT need to spend big money for a good brush. Again, just my opinion but, I've been a Paasche guy my whole life. Good, dependable, affordable, simple to clean brushes. I have the VL type airbrushes ( 25+ years now ), I have three different bodies set up with a #1, #3 and, #5 needle in each body because I got tired of swapping over for different painting applications. These are my "workhorses" and I've NEVER had any issues with them. I think my work, that I've shared here on the forums, using the Paasche brushes speaks for itself.

Paasche also makes a nice gravity feed airbrush, the Talon. I'm considering one because the cup is on top. Sometimes the cup on the bottom gets in the way. I also have a Grex Tritium TG3, a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR plus and, a Mr. Hobby / GSI Creos Custom 0.18 for my small detail work.

Your also gonna need some kind of spray booth that vents outside, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SPRAYING.

Again, all this is just my opinion and, what I've used over the years. You'll find what works for you, good luck

Steve

Cool! Looks like it's got great potential for multi-use, would that be correct?

17 hours ago, Just call me Ray said:

It depends, it's only has a 6.3 gallon tank and, a 1 hp motor. I only use it for my airbrushing or, occasionally, putting air in a tire. It's not make to run airtools. You have to remember, the more a compressor runs, the more heat it builds up and the more moisture you'll get in your airline. This is why if your running airtools you need a larger motor and a larger holding tank. This comes at a cost of both money and noise.

I had a 6 hour airbrush session yesterday and, this compressor kicked on three times after the initial start up. I spray at the lowest pressure I can getting the results I want. I've NEVER had water in the moisture trap or my airline. I completely drain the compressor after every use and, leave the drain open until I fire it up again for my next session.

Steve

My little 1 gallon comes on about every 20 minutes while using, so it makes sense your 6 gallon tank would only come on every couple of hours.  I have my airbrush station in a little laundry room closet, so space and noise are both at a premium for me.  When I had my booth in the garage, I just used my larger Craftsman air compressor, but it was WAY too loud in the little closet I use now.  

On 6/17/2021 at 8:49 PM, Just call me Ray said:

It is great for filling tires, but like A-10 loader said, it is not enough to run air tools. But .. It is  enough to to use an Iwata LPH80 mini hvlp spray gun if you want to get into spraying larger areas. 

2 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

It is great for filling tires, but like A-10 loader said, it is not enough to run air tools. But .. It is  enough to to use an Iwata LPH80 mini hvlp spray gun if you want to get into spraying larger areas. 

Correct, I have a Anest Iwata RG-3L-2 spray gun and, the compressor handles it just fine.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Iwata Neo is a great beginner airbrush, don't go too cheap, nothing ruins your airbrush learning more than a sloppy POS (cheap) airbrush. I buy good airbrushes and cheap compressors, as long as it has a pressure gauge and moisture trap on it all is good.

@ the OP, Just call me Ray:  Are you still interested in opinions/suggestions, or have you made some purchases yet?  I've been lazy, and haven't followed up on your thread here.  Again, I'll be pleased to give you some thoughts, in detail, if you are still looking for same.  Clearly, you have been provided some good information here, already.  Have you acquired any equipment yet, and if so, can you tell us what you have?