Flight Condition with Most Control Surfaces Deployed on an F-14D

Hey All,

I KNOW this question has to have been asked before (maybe even by me), but I could not find the answer, so here's another question.  I have two F-14D models, the 1/48 AMK and Tamiya, and I'd like to build at least one in the most 'extended' configuration ever used.  By that, I mean, what part of a flight had the most control surfaces extended, which surfaces were those, and what other movable parts were in what positions?  I'm thinking it had to be landing, or just before the wheels touch down on a carrier.  I'd like to model at least one of my F-14Ds (likely the AMK since it has more choices available) with EVERYTHING 'hanging out'.  Wings forward, slats deployed, flaps extended, spoilers fully extended, air brakes fully extended...  What other parts are in what positions, such as the engine nozzles, at that time of flight?  Am I correct in assuming that just before landing was the time when the most airplane parts are hanging out?  Or is there another part of the flight envelope where all the parts are extended?  I'm guessing that during takeoff on a cat, there are SOME of those parts extended, the wings forward, the slats extended, the flaps extended, and the famous kneeling position of the front landing gear strut, but are there other parts that were extended or deployed during cat launch that I've missed?  If you wanted to show your F-14D with the most parts deplaoyed/extended, what part of flight would you be modeling??

The "most extended" configuration happens during the roll-out portion of a runway landing.  The flaps/slats are already fully extended, the engine nozzles & airbrake panels would be fully open.  The key feature here are the wing spoilers.  Rather than try to explain, read para. 2.23.4.2 Ground-Roll Braking:

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 5.52.30 PM.png

Edited by IshyIsh
Add image

Landing or the controls wipeout on the catapult. 

On landing, flaps would be full, eleverons variable depending on control input, but slightly front side down.  Speed brakes were normally out...quicker to retract those than wait for the engines to spool up.  And inboard spoilers out for DLC (direct lift control).

On the catapult, flaps full down, eleverons down (I want to say it was 12 degrees), and during the aileron check, spoilers would pop too.  You would loose the speedbrake and one side of the spoilers compared to landing.

The tough thing with landing is the aircraft would have to be in the air with extended oleo's.  DLC spoilers and speed brakes retracted with throttle past a certain position, so when the pilot pushed full forward thrust at touchdown, they'd all be back in.

Rollout after landing on an airfield.

ACtC-3cHaGRoiRQDtf6SIlBjB0etI7fHD2UChC9V

Just before touchdown on a carrier. Note that only the inboard 2 spoiler panels are deployed. This is part of the Direct Lift Control system. 

1280px-thumbnail.jpg

Airfield landing will allow everything to hang out but carrier landing will allow you to drop the hook as well.

Mark

EDIT: One more. Maintenance.

tbp125956or01.jpg

Edited by gb_madcat_sl

As raised above just after touchdown on a runway...not the boar as the spoilers retract with thrust application. On a runway with idle thrust the spoilers stay up, speedbrakes still open flaps and slats out..

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going to model my AMK F-14D landing on an airfield runway.  I know that means retracted hook, but I'm okay with that.  I think it would cover my desired 'all out' control surface configuration if I do a diorama of the plane just after nose wheel touchdown on the runway.   I have always modeled my airplanes with the canopies open, thus, this would have to be  a first for me, with closed canopy, AND pilot figures, too!  Wow...talk about a scary concept for me...I am absolutely atrocious with painting figures!!  Anybody got any idea of the best figures appropriate for an in-flight pose for a 1/48 F-14D?