RODEN T-28B 1/48 in VNAF markings.

Hello all,

To keep my VNAF A-1 Skyraider, O-1 Birdog and F8F Bearcat company, my next project will be the Roden kit in VNAF markings. Yes, it is going to be rough so I ordered many after market parts to make my built bearable. Racked up quite a bill but I think they will be worth it. Dai 

FSM NP0712_23.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1018392-14904-93-pristine.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.png

s-l500 (2).jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Yo all...

Since this project will involve lots of resin and plastic surgeries, got myself a small grinding tool for the project. So far pretty impressive tool for less than 20 USD on Amazon ! Dai

IMG_7567.jpg

IMG_7570.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hi all ...

Good stuff starts to arrive. To think of it, only the airframe, the canopy and prop are the only original kit parts. Everything else is after market! Dai

IMG_7578.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello my fellow modelers ...

More great stuff keeps coming everyday. Mine will be the T-28B but I also ordered the D version since it has all the under wing weapons. Likely the B version has the wings pylons installed for rockets and bombs delivery. Will need to check the references for this one.  I welcome any inputs from experts of the Trojans used during the early Vienam war conflict. Dai 

IMG_7589.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Howdy everyone ...

The first step is the Aires cockpit essembly. The molded in details on the sides must be removed as well thinning the sides of the resin cockpit tub. There is lots and lots of dry fitting involved. Now onto the painting stage of the assembly. Dai 

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg

IMG_7596.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Yo all ...

Dry fitting indicates so far everything is in order. I tried to paint the black panels by hands and ended up in disaster as I could not make the border clean and sharp. Stripped all the paint, repaint and tomorrow will mask the panels and airbrush them. Thought about sanding all the raised details and use Eduard PE but it looks too one dimensional. Dai

IMG_7615.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Ok gang...

The cockpit is painted and waiting for the Eduard instrument panels as they are in color rather black and white as with the Aires. Will be installed to the fuse as the next step. Dai

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings my fellow modelers...

Worked on the engine tonight. The Quickboost offering is very detailed in the cylinders but lack the pushrods and the central ring. I made the pushrods from sprue and used the kit's ring. So far the kit is very rough. Every part has to be worked on before it can be used. The Trojan is sorely missed in 1/48 scale. I am suprised only Roden is the only player in town (the Monogram is so outdated that I do not even consider). Dai 

IMG_7653.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello modelling clan...

Got the main components installed. There will be so much sanding and filing to be done later. The nose weight is 35 grams instead of the insufficient 25 that instruction suggested. The gears are from G Factor. Very strong and WAY better than SAC gears. Dai

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7669.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

Edited by dai phan

I need T-28 expert help here...

On the right wing, there is an extra length as indicated with the arrow but there is none on the left. I could not locate a photo of top surface of the right wing to see if this extra length is correct or not. I appreciate your help. Dai 

IMG_7672.jpg

IMG_7673.jpg

Edited by dai phan
  • 2 weeks later...

Good progress! :thumbsup2:

No Light Gull Grey from Mr. Color? That's a surprise. 

EDIT: You could use Mr Color 315 or 325. 315 is FS 16440, 325 is FS 26440. 16440 is a glossy paint, 26440 is a semi-gloss/satin. The only difference is the finish. The hue should be the same. 36440 is just the matt version.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Howdy everyone...

Installed the Quickboost exhausts that are much better than stock. File, sand, check, file, sand,check... So much of this stuff that I feel like working on a wooden model. Dai 

IMG_7790.jpg

Edited by dai phan
7 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Good progress! :thumbsup2:

No Light Gull Grey from Mr. Color? That's a surprise. 

EDIT: You could use Mr Color 315 or 325. 315 is FS 16440, 325 is FS 26440. 16440 is a glossy paint, 26440 is a semi-gloss/satin. The only difference is the finish. The hue should be the same. 36440 is just the matt version.

Thank you so much! Dai 

Hi gang,

All primed, flaws corrected and ready for the paint job. There is so much filings, sandings that by the time you are ready to paint I doubt if the outline is even accurate at all. Comparing with the photos, the kit is more of a representation than an actual replica. But Roden has a nitch that is producing models that major manufacturers tend to ignore. Dai 

IMG_7795.jpg