RODEN T-28B 1/48 in VNAF markings.

Greetings...

Started to apply the main colors. Next will be the light gull gray using MRP lacquer for the first time. I have heard rave reviews about this paint so I cannot wait to test it out. Dai 

IMG_7818.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone...

Some more progress with dry fit of the main components. The G Factor bronze gear is a exact copy of the kit's. Unfortunately the main gears are way too long so by the time they are trimmed to the correct length, I lost the mounting pegs. I had to resort to the kit's gears with the metal pins in order to glue to the fuselage that has adequate strength. The two piece rear canopy worried me but actually fits pretty well. I am waiting for the fuselage exhaust panel masks that should be arriving this week. I wish these would be provided as decals just like the wing walkways. Dai

IMG_7885.jpg

Edited by dai phan

I am lucky to have the actual modeled photo of the plane. I wonder if the upper surfaces of the flying surfaces should be painted white like the other aircrafts of the day coming from the US. Dai

IMG_7926.jpg

IMG_7929.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello all ...

I need some expert help here. The AOA decal instruction says the T28B carries one gun pod and 2 pylons while the D version carries one gun pod and three pylons on each wing. I realized too late after I ready painted the plane. I search high and low on the Net for a photo of a B with pylons but come up short. I wonder f the pylons are in the same locations like the D except not having the outboard ones?  Or the B has the entirely different locations for the pylons?  Thanks Dai 

Ok, I have done some more reaseach and found that after 1965, some B/C models were converted to 3 pylons and one gun pod each under each wing. So it is possible my model could recieve the modifications after 1965 to have 3 pylons each. Also looking at some flight sims images, the one that carries one gun pod/two pylons have different mounting positions then the 3 pylon variant. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Howdy everyone...

Almost done decaling the plane. The AOA decals are excellent and they did a good job of duplicating the correct yellow and red of the VNAF insignia. Dai

IMG_8000.jpg

Edited by dai phan
On 7/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, Hajo L. said:

Good work! I never noticed that that the VNAF Stars'n'Bars were carried on both wings...?

HAJO

Yes they were as well as on their other planes till the fall of Saigon. Dai 

On 7/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, dai phan said:

IMG_7929.jpg

It's interesting how the wing's marking has faded so much. I wonder if the markings on other aircrafts such as, the F-105 had the same level of weathering....:hmmm:

3 hours ago, SERNAK said:

It's interesting how the wing's marking has faded so much. I wonder if the markings on other aircrafts such as, the F-105 had the same level of weathering....:hmmm:

Weather in SE Asia is tough. Rain all day all night followed by humid hot temperature. That will take a toll on the paint. Later years the insignias did not seem to suffer much as better stronger paints were used.  I do not see this type of fading on US planes. Must be higher quality paint used. Dai 

Edited by dai phan
4 hours ago, dai phan said:

Weather in SE Asia is tough. Rain all day all night followed by humid hot temperature. That will take a toll on the paint. Later years the insignias did not seem to suffer much as better stronger paints were used.  I do not see this type of fading on US planes. Must be higher quality paint used. Dai 

:thumbsup:

Howdy everyone...

My VNAF T28B is completed. As usual here are my takes...

PROS:

1. The best T28 in 1/48 scale.

2. Good visual representation of the aircraft.

CONS:

1.  Poor surface details. Panel lines are too deep and missing important surface details.

2. Crude and oversized parts.

3. Injection marks present in the areas that are hard to address.

4. Poor fit of parts. Nothing lines up and everything is off. 

5. Crude and inaccurate tooling. Comparing the parts to the actual plane will reveal multiple inaccuracies.

6. Poor decal sheet. 

7. Inaccurate recommended nose weight. You need 35 grams rather than 25 to prevent tail sitter.

I can go on and on but these are the main issues. Roden has a nitch where it produces subjects that are ignored by other makers like the T28, Bird Dog, Mohawk... UInless you really need a T28 in 1/48, I say forget about this one. This project reminds me of the 80s' cottage industry resin kit. There is so much trimming, filing, sanding to get it to the painting stage. With this kind of onslaught to the tooling I wonder if any accuracies are left at all.  There are still works needed on the model such as rescribing lost panel lines, flap linkages but consider the quality of the model, I do not think it would be a wise investment to do these tasks. Dai

IMG_8111.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8110.jpg

IMG_8109.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

Here are what I used in building this kit.

1. T28B as the airframe.

2. T28D to get the pylons and weapons. T28B in VN have one gun pod and 2 pylons on each wing although after 1965 were converted to D configuration (one gun pod and 3 pylons). The one gun pod/2 pylons have diffferent mounting locations than the D version (not just one pylon less).

3. Aires cockpit set. Forget about the True Details that does not fit. Be prepared for lots of plastic surgery.

4. Quickboost air scoops, exhausts, control sticks, wheel covers (comes with wheel well set that I did not use), engine and speed brake. Much more to scale in thickness.

5. G Factor bronze gears. These are exact copies and too bad the main gears are 3 mm too long. Luckily you only need the front to support the weight (35 grams).

6.  Eduard seat belts and instrument panels. 

7. AOA decals as the kit's offering is rubish.  High quality decals and strong. Respond well to solutions. 

You can see this can be expensive with all the add ons. I am glad I got the project completed but spent 3x effort than a regular kit. Roden technology clearly falls short on today's technology and expectations. The only thing going for them is producing under represented kits. Unless you are into sanding, filing, trimming and repeat all over, I cannot recommend this kit to an average builder. Dai  

IMG_8093.jpg

IMG_8089.jpg

Edited by dai phan
  • 3 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, dai phan said:

OK gang,

Need some help here. Do you know of after market 1/48 Mk 83 100lbs GP bombs? The kit's offering is so poor that I need a replacement.  Thanks Dai 

Not sure if anyone replied back to you Dai but the Hasegawa Weapons set A includes over a dozen.  Aircraft Weapons: A, Hasegawa X48-1 (1987) (scalemates.com)

BTW - Outstanding work on your T-28.