3D printed 5x F1 fitted to Dragon Saturn V

I've been doing these drawings and adding detail for 12 months. Sure it's missing pipe work but otherwise I am more than happy with how they have turned out.
You can see inside bell details have changed between 3 iterations. These are size wise to scale height and dia.
The support requires some modding to fill the holes and make room for the intake shroud and the actuator arms need adding.
the center engine had a minor print issue which I filled.

20210605_153411

20210605_153513

20210605_153343

20210605_153656

Edited by Aussie-Pete
  • Aussie-Pete changed the title to 3D printed 5x F1 fitted to Dragon Saturn V
19 minutes ago, southwestforests said:

Those turned out nicely. 3D printing has become quite a useful modeling tool in several hobbies; this, model railroading, miniatures gaming, and even for flying model rockets.

It's a great tool if you keep in mind it's limitations when modeling.
This all came about when I saw Michael Key's and Oli Braun's models. I decided to dive into 3D modeling. All self taught with some Youtube help

HO-LEE-SCHMITT! Those are superb! You should indeed be happy with these! 

Man-oh-mna, I can NOT get over the fine detail on the inside of the skirts ... 3D has come a long way in a short time!

Not to mention those fine, fine details on the upper engine bell!

And who, tell me, WHO is gonna notice any missing piping? Aussie-Pete, you've done an ex-cell-ent job on these! and the paint ... WOW! 

And what was the scale again? 1/32? ... kidding ... only kidding!    :whistle:

Pete ... Canadian Pete

11 hours ago, K2Pete said:

HO-LEE-SCHMITT! Those are superb! You should indeed be happy with these! 

Man-oh-mna, I can NOT get over the fine detail on the inside of the skirts ... 3D has come a long way in a short time!

Not to mention those fine, fine details on the upper engine bell!

And who, tell me, WHO is gonna notice any missing piping? Aussie-Pete, you've done an ex-cell-ent job on these! and the paint ... WOW! 

And what was the scale again? 1/32? ... kidding ... only kidding!    :whistle:

Pete ... Canadian Pete

I'm humbled Pete.
Thanks for the nice words.

On to the J2?

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work, Aussie-Pete!  Very inspiring!  And they look like they're made of real metal parts.   You won't won't believe this --  I've got the printer, the gloves, the resin, the IPA, good weather for printing in the garage -- the whole caboodle -- everything I need to start printing, except the courage to give it a try : )   Maybe it's because I don't want to make mistakes and waste expensive resin, or because I don't want to break the printer (can you even break the printer).   I don't know what it is exactly but I know I should just go ahead and take the leap.

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

Beautiful work, Aussie-Pete!  Very inspiring!  And they look like they're made of real metal parts.   You won't won't believe this --  I've got the printer, the gloves, the resin, the IPA, good weather for printing in the garage -- the whole caboodle -- everything I need to start printing, except the courage to give it a try : )   Maybe it's because I don't want to make mistakes and waste expensive resin, or because I don't want to break the printer (can you even break the printer).   I don't know what it is exactly but I know I should just go ahead and take the leap.

Are you designing your own parts/models
To start maybe try using some free models from Thingiverse.com?

Can't wait to see what you produce.
What printer did you buy?
I'm thinking of upgrading to the Photon Mono X with near 2x the print area of my current Photon.
Hmmm then I can print my F1 at 1:48 or bigger

12 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

… I've got the printer, the gloves, the resin, the IPA, good weather for printing in the garage -- the whole caboodle -- everything I need to start printing, except the courage to give it a try : )   Maybe it's because I don't want to make mistakes and waste expensive resin, or because I don't want to break the printer (can you even break the printer).   I don't know what it is exactly but I know I should just go ahead and take the leap.

I’m in the same boat with the color photo printer I bought last year - afraid to waste expensive ink on mistakes. Instead the whole printer is wasting away, unused. And still expensive. 

N I K E.   Just Do It. 

Edited by habu2
8 hours ago, habu2 said:

N I K E.   Just Do It. 

I like that : )  

Hi Aussie-Pete,  I have the Elegoo Mars and picked up a Saturn a couple months back. They say there are 2 versions of the Saturn -- the early type has 12mm linear guide rails and the newer ones have the 15mm.  Mine's still in the box -- too scared to find out I got the older version : )    As for the Mars I thought if I just looked at it long enough something's gonna happen but it's been on my desk for over a year, inches away from my face, and absolutely nothing has happened.   I've know I've got arms, I've got legs, I'm sure there's some brain up there so what's keeping me from plugging the printer in and pouring resin, I don't know, haha.  Habu2 is right, I need to just do it.  I'm looking for my LLRV file -- will see if I can print myself some nice landing gear struts.  2021 will finally be the year I started printing something : )    Hey,  I've seen great reviews on the Mono X -- nice printer!  And the printing plate's a bit bigger than the Saturn's.  

Edited by crackerjazz
10 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

I like that : )  

Hi Aussie-Pete,  I have the Elegoo Mars and picked up a Saturn a couple months back. They say there are 2 versions of the Saturn -- the early type has 12mm linear guide rails and the newer ones have the 15mm.  Mine's still in the box -- too scared to find out I got the older version : )    As for the Mars I thought if I just looked at it long enough something's gonna happen but it's been on my desk for over a year, inches away from my face, and absolutely nothing has happened.   I've know I've got arms, I've got legs, I'm sure there's some brain up there so what's keeping me from plugging the printer in and pouring resin, I don't know, haha.  Habu2 is right, I need to just do it.  I'm looking for my LLRV file -- will see if I can print myself some nice landing gear struts.  2021 will finally be the year I started printing something : )    Hey,  I've seen great reviews on the Mono X -- nice printer!  And the printing plate's a bit bigger than the Saturn's.  

Must pull the pin and do it.
It's amazing turning a design into a model you can hold.
Printing upgrade parts for plastic models. is pretty cool

On 6/28/2021 at 8:52 PM, Aussie-Pete said:

Are you designing your own parts/models
To start maybe try using some free models from Thingiverse.com?

Can't wait to see what you produce.
What printer did you buy?
I'm thinking of upgrading to the Photon Mono X with near 2x the print area of my current Photon.
Hmmm then I can print my F1 at 1:48 or bigger

I recently upgraded from a Photon to the MonoX and can attest you won't be sorry. Not only the larger build volume but MUCH faster and higher resolution as well. I think they've really honed in on the printer set-up and so far any print mistakes I've had are purely ME not doing something right, and that's even more forgiving. I've only had a few mishaps but otherwise incredible print success rates. Get it!

Bill

Edited by niart17
2 hours ago, niart17 said:

I recently upgraded from a Photon to the MonoX and can attest you won't be sorry. Not only the larger build volume but MUCH faster and higher resolution as well. I think they've really honed in on the printer set-up and so far any print mistakes I've had are purely ME not doing something right, and that's even more forgiving. I've only had a few mishaps but otherwise incredible print success rates. Get it!

Bill

Let's see how nice the tax man is this year

Hi guys, what's the thinnest walls you've printed?   And do you actually pre-plan this or just model parts as solids and hollow them out later using the slicer?  I tried modeling my LLRV with actual aluminum tube sizes so the tube walls are quite thin.  But when scaled down to 1/18 they're too thin for printing;  I had to go through all the tubes and modify them as solid rods.   And now I just remembered there are flat aluminum sheets on the model as well -- will have to thicken those, too, and the slicer can't help me in that regard   : (    I really should start thinking about how parts will hold up to printing while I model.

hmmm....that's a good question. I actually haven't run any tests to see the thinnest that would hold up but I may have to do that. perhaps a line up of sheets on end at various thickness and angles to see what it can do. I'm always leary of doing these kinds of test for not wanting to "waste" material. But if I were smarter I'd realize that the actual waste is not knowing what it can and can't do and trying to print things that fail. 

this is obviously a Falcon 9 grid fin printed at 1:144
Wall thickness depends on orientation it's printed and whether it's supported or un supported
the thinnest I do on purpose is .5 mm
When I do a model like the last X15 tanks that are 2mm walls and each section is printed vertical with only supports around the bottom and any over hangs
No photo description available.