Lavochkin La-5FN - Zvezda, 1/48 (pic intensive)

Hello guys,

Here's my last completed model, the Zvezda, 1/48 Lavochkin La-5FN, white 22, from 2 GIAP (Aviation regiment of the Guard). The yellow scribing reads "Mongolsky Arat", workers of Mongolia, whose donation funded 12 aircrafts in the squadron.

This the first of the Zvezda's "new tooling", and was build out of the box, decals from the Avalon range. Quite easy build but for the soft plastic and the engine cowling is a bit tricky, as there are lots of parts to align.

Paints from the Gunze acryl range, various mixes of RLM76 as basis, with black and blue.

Hope you'll like her, and as usual comments and critics most welcome. 

Best,

Stef (#6)

La5_final_rfx_01.jpg

La5_final_rfx_02.jpg

La5_final_rfx_14.jpg

La5_final_rfx_04.jpg

La5_final_rfx_05.jpg

La5_final_rfx_06.jpg

La5_final_rfx_07.jpg

La5_final_rfx_08.jpg

La5_final_rfx_09.jpg

La5_final_rfx_10.jpg

La5_final_rfx_11.jpg

La5_final_rfx_12.jpg

La5_final_rfx_13.jpg

La5_final_rfx_15.jpg

La5_final_rfx_16.jpg

La5_final_rfx_17.jpg

La5_final_rfx_18.jpg

La5_final_rfx_19.jpg

La5_final_rfx_20.jpg

La5_final_rfx_21.jpg

La5_final_rfx_22.jpg

La5_final_rfx_23.jpg

La5_final_rfx_24.jpg

La5_final_rfx_25.jpg

La5_final_rfx_26.jpg

Edited by Stef (#6)
bad image link
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, sakai said:

It's really pleasing to see that you have used the right shades for VVS fighter standard camo scheme. Congrats!

If these are the shades based on the old Soviet book with paint chips, they are likely too dark. (The book of which only 3 copies exist in Russia I mean)

Eric Pilawski saw one copy, and said the book's colours have darkened over time. I believe him, because pieces buried face down or otherwise protected remnants always show lighter more vivid colours, despite never facing the sun. If Russian aircrafts were that dark, they would not have lightened in photos when the shift from black and green to gray and gray happened. But they do look lighter, including the green of the black and green... It is just an opinion, but I feel the research relied too much on that old Soviet book, and having just one source is never good, even if the 3 books deteriorated to similar shades...

14 hours ago, Robertson said:

If these are the shades based on the old Soviet book with paint chips, they are likely too dark. (The book of which only 3 copies exist in Russia I mean)

Eric Pilawski saw one copy, and said the book's colours have darkened over time. I believe him, because pieces buried face down or otherwise protected remnants always show lighter more vivid colours, despite never facing the sun. If Russian aircrafts were that dark, they would not have lightened in photos when the shift from black and green to gray and gray happened. But they do look lighter, including the green of the black and green... It is just an opinion, but I feel the research relied too much on that old Soviet book, and having just one source is never good, even if the 3 books deteriorated to similar shades...

Hello,

Thanks for your inputs :).

My research for the colors wasn't extended that much as refering to the reference book you're talking.

In fact I've just been browsing Massimo Tessitori's website, and made a compilation of the various shades paint manufacturers were proposing.
I first resorted to colors proposed by Eduard and it seemed to me there was far too much contrast between the 2 shades.

I then made some trial mixes, trying to reflect the contrast level I saw on various B&W pics rather than matching "most commonly accepted hues".

Beside, my pics might be a little underexposed, which reinfiorce the "too dark" impression.

I always like a good, constructive talking about colours and references, indeed.

Best,

Stef (#6)