That's funny - I live in the area and can hear the jets ripping up the Cascade valley from work.  I hear them on maybe 2 or 3 days per week, max.  Not only that, when they do pass by, it's for a few seconds.  They make it sound like there is non-stop flying circus of Growlers out there just to torture visitors and wildlife....

I have lots of friends and co-workers who live and work out at the NAS - half the community out there loves the NAS and half hate it.  I'm sure it's the same for every other base on earth....

half the community out there loves the NAS and half hate it

My grandparents lived out there in the 80's and I used to love spending summers there. Oak Harbor is definitely a Navy town but there are a number of people who resent it and they seem to have grown a bit more ludicrous over the last decade or two.

People who whine about an airport that has been there for a long time, gives me the impression they are being egged on by a greedy land developer. 

Well, the area / park they were talking about isn't far by Navy jet but it's not precisely next door either. You'd have to cross a channel of water by boat and drive for a bit. There's a whole spectrum between "I like airplane noise and you shouldn't complain about airports that have been in operation for 80 years" and "OMG tell that slug to SHUT UP it's too loud!"

I think most complainers are more to the side of the later, but since the Navy did change flight plans there is some legitimacy to at least a little complaining.

I work with a former Intruder/Prowler pilot who flew out of Whidbey NAS and various carriers for years and, like Tracy said, they trained out there every now and then in a very specific MOA but certainly didn't go out and do hourly low-level noise runs.....I guess it's too much to ask for nuanced reporting and discussions instead of hyperbole.  A man can dream....