Not sure if this is the correct forum but I am looking to make an inflight of a SH 1/32 X-15A-2.  What I am looking for and cannot seem to find is the dimensions of the eject-able lower fin.  Does anyone know the dimensions of it?  Is it the same size as the upper one?

Thanks,

Richard

9 hours ago, dekon70 said:

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I am looking to make an inflight of a SH 1/32 X-15A-2.  What I am looking for and cannot seem to find is the dimensions of the eject-able lower fin.  Does anyone know the dimensions of it?  Is it the same size as the upper one?

Thanks,

Richard

Ejectable? Didn't know that

The fixed portion of the ventral (lower) fin was 17.5", the moveable portion was 26.5", for a total vertical dimension of 44".

The fixed portion of the dorsal (upper) fin was 17.5", the moveable portion was 37.5", for a total vertical dimension of 55".

The moveable sections were both rudders, their movement was linked. And yes the ventral rudder was ejectable, it extended lower than the rear skids when extended so the ventral rudder was jettisoned before landing.  It had a parachute and was reused when recovered.  

The ventral rudder was carried on early flights but apparently caused some instability at high AoA so later flight were made without the ventral rudder.  Specifically 73 of the 199 flights were made with the lower rudder in place, 126 without.  So it would be accurate to display the X-15 in flight with or without the ventral rudder.

Edited by habu2
9 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

I'd like the dimensions of the external tanks if anyone has those.
I'd like to 3D/print some for my 1/32

Cheers

Sorry to hitch a ride Dekon

No problem, I am interested also.

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

The fixed portion of the ventral (lower) fin was 17.5", the moveable portion was 26.5", for a total vertical dimension of 44".

The fixed portion of the dorsal (upper) fin was 17.5", the moveable portion was 37.5", for a total vertical dimension of 55".

The moveable sections were both rudders, their movement was linked. And yes the ventral rudder was ejectable, it extended lower than the rear skids when extended so the ventral rudder was jettisoned before landing.  It had a parachute and was reused when recovered.  

The ventral rudder was carried on early flights but apparently caused some instability at high AoA so later flight were made without the ventral rudder.  Specifically 73 of the 199 flights were made with the lower rudder in place, 126 without.  So it would be accurate to display the X-15 in flight with or without the ventral rudder.

Thanks for the information.  I thought it always flew with the jettisonable part.

9 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

I'd like the dimensions of the external tanks if anyone has those.
I'd like to 3D/print some for my 1/32

Cheers

Sorry to hitch a ride Dekon

If you print them, please post some pictures.

Looking at the instructions on scalemates.com it looks like SH included parts to model the ventral fin with and without the ejectable rudder.  See parts D11 & D12 for the full ventral, and D9 & D10 for just the fixed part.

12 hours ago, habu2 said:

Looking at the instructions on scalemates.com it looks like SH included parts to model the ventral fin with and without the ejectable rudder.  See parts D11 & D12 for the full ventral, and D9 & D10 for just the fixed part.

habu, thanks for the information, I am going to have to check it out.