F-14A Tomcat VF-1 with late ferris scheme from 1983

I collecting referenses on the hulls from VF-1 that got painted in ferris schemes in 1983 for a coming project.

I've found a few pictures but would want more pictures from different points in the scheme's lifetime to see how it fades and weathers.

So bring out your old photos and scan them please 🙂 I would be immensely grateful!

Hi Janne,

Good to see you around!

If I remember right there was an article specially on Ferris schemes back in 80's in one British issues of Scale AIrcraft Modelling. Not 100% about this but . . .  Have it somewhere in the archive, but could not retrive it even if you kill me. Sorry.

Still will give it a try. I know I found those schemes fascinating and wanted to have one on my Hase Tomcat back in those days.

Best regards

Gabor

21 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Janne,

Good to see you around!

If I remember right there was an article specially on Ferris schemes back in 80's in one British issues of Scale AIrcraft Modelling. Not 100% about this but . . .  Have it somewhere in the archive, but could not retrive it even if you kill me. Sorry.

Still will give it a try. I know I found those schemes fascinating and wanted to have one on my Hase Tomcat back in those days.

Best regards

Gabor

I'm still lurking, haven't had the energy to build because of private issues but I'm here 🙂

well I'm thankful for you trying 🙂

I know of two jets (Wichita 105 and 111) that were painted in the camo. It's not quite a Ferris scheme. It doesn't have the hard edges and angles that typify the Ferris. There was an issue of Koku Fan that had a couple of pictures. Furball has a sheet that has one of them. Pictures are hard to come by, as I don't think they lasted very long.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:53 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I know of two jets (Wichita 105 and 111) that were painted in the camo. It's not quite a Ferris scheme. It doesn't have the hard edges and angles that typify the Ferris. There was an issue of Koku Fan that had a couple of pictures. Furball has a sheet that has one of them. Pictures are hard to come by, as I don't think they lasted very long.

I have the furball sheet and will do this scheme. I'm searching high and low for refs. Yeah, I know it's not a true Ferris scheme but it's really good looking 😄

I would like to do the scheme a bit less than pristine.... well you know me...  well I don't think it ever carried that scheme on a cruise so I don't think it would have weathered as bad as TPS at sea but I would think that some sun fading and dirty hands would leave their mark. Thoughts on that?

17 hours ago, Aigore said:

I have the furball sheet and will do this scheme. I'm searching high and low for refs. Yeah, I know it's not a true Ferris scheme but it's really good looking 😄

I would like to do the scheme a bit less than pristine.... well you know me...  well I don't think it ever carried that scheme on a cruise so I don't think it would have weathered as bad as TPS at sea but I would think that some sun fading and dirty hands would leave their mark. Thoughts on that?

I don't know. The photo of 104 looks like it's starting to get a bit patchy. In the end, do it the way you enjoy it. That's what the hobby is all about. Knowing you, it will look fantastic!

I know you want to do the 1983 airframes, but there were also the Ferris scheme F-14s that were on the Enterprise in 1977. Furball used to do a sheet with these two.

image108081.jpg.2a0b37b001ce8fc654753c44a79da7df.jpg

Edited by Mstor
21 hours ago, Mstor said:

I know you want to do the 1983 airframes, but there were also the Ferris scheme F-14s that were on the Enterprise in 1977. Furball used to do a sheet with these two.

image108081.jpg.2a0b37b001ce8fc654753c44a79da7df.jpg

Yup, not as good looking though as the softer colours of the -83 scheme 🙂

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, Aigore said:

Yup, not as good looking though as the softer colours of the -83 scheme 🙂

Yep, those '83 schemes were beautiful.