My 3D X-15 external tank

Oh Yeah-h-h-h! That looks pretty good and ... you're FAST!!

I've seen that a 1/32 X-15-2 is available and I'm just at the thinking stage of getting it ... but let us know if it'll be on Shapeways!

Nice Job Aussie-Pete!  :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

Oh Yeah-h-h-h! That looks pretty good and ... you're FAST!!

I've seen that a 1/32 X-15-2 is available and I'm just at the thinking stage of getting it ... but let us know if it'll be on Shapeways!

Nice Job Aussie-Pete!  :thumbsup:

There are two releases by Special Hobby with the external tanks, 32031 & 32081.  I believe the only difference is the decals (and paint scheme)   {edit: it looks like the later release includes a stand to display the X-15 in flight}

You can download the instructions from scalemates and see the piping/plumbing details and mounting pylon for the ETs on pages 12 & 13.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/3/7/5/1305375-17-instructions.pdf

Edited by habu2

Gee whiz habu2 ... thanx for the link ... this looks like an even nicer kit than I thought!

I was prepared to have to build the Ejection Seat from scratch or at least augment the kit along ... but at this glance, it looks like it's ALL there!

Thanx!

Pete

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

There are two releases by Special Hobby with the external tanks, 32031 & 32081.  I believe the only difference is the decals (and paint scheme)   {edit: it looks like the later release includes a stand to display the X-15 in flight}

You can download the instructions from scalemates and see the piping/plumbing details and mounting pylon for the ETs on pages 12 & 13.

The later release also includes the dummy ramjet that was attached to the ventral fin on that flight.

The Special Hobby X-15 kits are nice, especially when you consider they are “short run” kits. There are some criticisms, mostly about the undersized horizontal stabs. They match the plan view perfectly but did not account for the anhedral angle so the true span is off. 

There is a WIP on britmodeller that is worth checking out:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088396-132-x-15a-2-special-hobby/

Aussie-Pete, sorry if we hijacked your thread. Your tanks for look nice. 
👍

Edited by habu2

Pete, I was trying to create a similar shape in AutoCAD by lofting some sections but could never get a shape that seemed to flow correctly - e.g. the radii of the tapering sections didn't change progressively. Could I trouble you to explain how you drafted this shape?

Thanks in advance,

Kirk 

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

Thanks for that link. I was having trouble finding these details

3 hours ago, CaptKirk said:

Pete, I was trying to create a similar shape in AutoCAD by lofting some sections but could never get a shape that seemed to flow correctly - e.g. the radii of the tapering sections didn't change progressively. Could I trouble you to explain how you drafted this shape?

Thanks in advance,

Kirk 

I found if I only used a front circle at the main body and a small dia circle at the point with a guide line that the shape was distorted. So I used a number of reducing dia circles along the guide line to ensure the shape remained and lofted between each circle.
I used Fusion 360

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

The Special Hobby X-15 kits are nice, especially when you consider they are “short run” kits. There are some criticisms, mostly about the undersized horizontal stabs. They match the plan view perfectly but did not account for the anhedral angle so the true span is off. 

There is a WIP on britmodeller that is worth checking out:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088396-132-x-15a-2-special-hobby/

Aussie-Pete, sorry if we hijacked your thread. Your tanks for look nice. 
👍

All good. Grateful for those links

Thanks Pete. Looking more closely at your model, I think what I've been doing wrong is not having a correctly placed guideline along the common tangent of the reducing circle sections. You've inspired me to drag the model out and have another try. Cheers!

X-15 External tank

X-15 External tank

I'm no Fusion expert and I seem to have an issue with the model but it's broken down into 6 parts and I'll have a go at printing this weekend.
The pipe wont be printed. I expect to use a wire for the piping
Designed using the kit reference. 

Edited by Aussie-Pete

Aussie-Pete, those tanks look great.  I'll have to try my hand at them.  I have an extra Dragon X-15 1+1 kit and I could convert that into an X-15A-2 with a set of external tanks.  At 1/144 scale I probably wont include the piping but I'm sure my Mars 2 Pro will work just fine to print a set of them.  Now, off to open up Fusion 360 and draw a set of tanks.

Keep it up.