Tamiya 1/48th Grumman F-14A Tomcat late variant (item#61122) with detailed wings (flaps, slats etc.)

• HomeBe changed the title to Tamiya 1/48th Grumman F-14A Tomcat late variant (item#61122) with detailed wings (flaps, slats etc.)

Hopefully a true B is not far behind.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Why the hell can't they just put all the parts in one damn box and let me decide which to use?

Enough of this "build it this way/as this variant" crap!

On 6/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, Cool Hand said:

Why the hell can't they just put all the parts in one damn box and let me decide which to use?

I'm with you on this. It would be nice to have something like their F-16 release that had every option in it. But to play devil's advocate, maybe that didn't sell as well, and they think they can get more sales with individual releases.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, Cool Hand said:

Because they know what Tomcat fans will do, we're not exactly hard to read...

37 minutes ago, Solo said:

Are we sure that there will not be both versions of wings in the box? For sweep and forward position?

Well, it says that you cannot depict the wing in the neutral position, which I take to mean that you can’t do the wing with flaps and slats up, and if you can’t do that, you can’t do the swept position.

21 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm with you on this. It would be nice to have something like their F-16 release that had every option in it. But to play devil's advocate, maybe that didn't sell as well, and they think they can get more sales with individual releases.

for a hundred plus bucks, it out to have a bottle of Irish Whiskey inside the box, and be delivered by a serious tall drink of water with red hair. 

gary

15 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Well, it says that you cannot depict the wing in the neutral position, which I take to mean that you can’t do the wing with flaps and slats up, and if you can’t do that, you can’t do the swept position.

I meant that perhaps there are two versions of wings in the box: previous and that new one.

Speaking only for myself and purely for selfish reasons I sincerely hope its an all new version with new wings and not a trace of the old ones so you have to buy two kits if you want both versions.

Its all about the SKU.

So what's going to be in the box?

We know from the announcement that it will have a sprue of "dirty" wings (dropped flaps and slats).  Will it also include Sprue A, the previously released "clean" wings?  The announcement also mentions making a launch diorama so I would think they will also need to add a new tool nose gear kneeling in the launch position.

I think it's safe to say the kit will include the following sprues from the F-14A:

B (x1)  Nose, upper fuselage, gun vents (2 grill)

C (x1)  Lower fuselage

D (x1)  Intakes, vertical stabilizers (L brace), boattail (standard).  

*The D sprue from the F-14A kit has vertical stabilizers with hex braces.  

*The D sprue from the F-14D kit has vertical stabilizers with L-braces.

E (x2)  Horizontal stabilizer, fuel tank, pilot (SPH helmet)(x1), main gear wheel (early), missile rails for Stations 1 and 8 (AIM-7, AIM-9, AIM-54)(x1 each)

F (x2)  Ejection seat (GRU-7)

G (x1)  Landing gear, gear wells, gear doors

H (x1)  Cockpit

J (x1)  Canopy

K (x2)  Engines (TF-30), instrument panels, chin pod (ALQ-100)

Z (x2)  AIM-7 (x4), AIM-9 (x2), AIM-54 (x2)

For a late F-14A, I think there's a good chance it will include the following sprues from the F-14D:

L (x1)  TARPS windows

M (x1)  Engine fairings (F-110), ALQ-188 pod, TARPS pod, gun vents (NACA), boattail (standard with ECM)

N (x1)  PTIDS instrument panels, chin pod (IRST/TCS/ALQ-100)

P (x2)  Bomb racks, main gear wheel (late), LANTERN pod, GBU-12 (x2), GBU-16 (x1), GBU-31 (x1)

S (x2)  Ejection seat (NACES II), pilot (HGU helmet)

Still need a TCS/ALQ-100 and a few Block 135 upgrade ECM lumps and bumps (the starboard nose gear door and boattail are already on Sprue M).

Did I miss anything? 

I have both the Tamiya and AMK 1/48 F-14D models (have not built either of them yet).  I got the AMK PRIMARILY because of the posable wing control surfaces, which I'd been really disappointed that the Tamiya (A nor D variant) have.  If this is really true, that the Tamiya F-14A will have posable flaps and slats, that means I'm like to get one (or more).  I must say that I hope the announcement just mentioned slats and flaps, but HOPEFULLY also includes spoilers, and air brakes, though since the announcement is specific, I'm guessing that those other control surfaces are not going to be posable.  That will be a disappointment.  I posted another thread here not too long ago about the flight configuration where most of the control surfaces are deployed/extended, and I still plan to build my AMK 14D with as many of those surfaces deployed as is consistent with reality.  I was hoping that maybe I could do the same with the Tamiya F-14A, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  I suppose that slats and flaps are better than nothing!

While they may well release an “all-in-one” kit in the future (like they did for the F-16) I recall people ordering individual sprues from the F-14A or D kit to build an F-14B.  One would think the new “dirty wing” sprue will be orderable as well to use on the early releases. 

Who cares if it only comes with a dirty wing?

Who on the planet only buys one Tamiya F-14? 
If it keeps the price down on an already expensive kit and box size etc to keep postage under control its fine by me.

I already have 13 clean wing kits i certainly dont need any more.
At least i can sell those Amk F-14’s off now..

3 hours ago, dehowie said:

Who on the planet only buys one Tamiya F-14? 

That would be me.  There's only 1 F-14 I'm interested in buiding, ergo only 1 kit needed.  

45 minutes ago, boom175 said:

I'm still waiting on official Tamiya  Confirmation.  That could have been a photo shopped "leak"

Yup, looks like a photoshop to stir up emotions. I remember that F-16D "sprue shot" leak back in the day and how that turned out...

That "document" looks exceptionally photoshopped. Why would a Japanese company specify "Japan time"? I'm calling shenanigans.

John