Tamiya 1/48th Grumman F-14A Tomcat late variant (item#61122) with detailed wings (flaps, slats etc.)

On 6/30/2021 at 1:05 AM, jgrease said:

That "document" looks exceptionally photoshopped. Why would a Japanese company specify "Japan time"? I'm calling shenanigans.

John

This type of document shows up every now and again, for both their scale models and R/C cars.

For example: http://motorsportmodeller.blogspot.com/2012/10/tamiya-releasing-red-bull-rb6.html

If they have a Japan Standard Time announcement date for the domestic market, but they need to get the info out to their international distributors before that date to let them plan the logistics/set up customers for the earlier sell dates outside Japan, then the instructions for those international distributors to keep quiet until the domestic market knows seems reasonable. Clearly people don't comply with the instructions all the time.

Posted (edited)

Per the page documentation:

• Features fixed depiction of variable sweep wing supported by a single-piece part.
• The kit depicts wings with deployed flaps and slats which can be attached to wing by support parts (NOTE: This model CANNOT depict wing at neutral position).

That's... confusing. So we're ONLY getting a dirty wing? If so, I'll pass. That's a lot of real-estate on my shelf. Is it possible we'll be able to RELIABLY purchase the late sprues separately, or that a late-A with functioning variable sweep will be available in the future?

Edited by Swordsman422
2 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

• Features fixed depiction of variable sweep wing supported by a single-piece part.
• The kit depicts wings with deployed flaps and slats which can be attached to wing by support parts (NOTE: This model CANNOT depict wing at neutral position).

That's... confusing. So we're ONLY getting a dirty wing? If so, I'll pass. That's a lot of real-estate on my shelf. Is it possible we'll be able to RELIABLY purchase the late sprues separately, or that a late-A with functioning variable sweep will be available in the future?

Thats what’s written in plain black and white, yet some people seem to disbelieve it and keep asking/wishing that it comes with the everything up wing like in the previous kit.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Thats what’s written in plain black and white, yet some people seem to disbelieve it and keep asking/wishing that it comes with the everything up wing like in the previous kit.

What I'm wondering is if by "this model" they mean the kit or they mean "this part" and something is lost in translation (not a first by a long shot) and they are also including the old wings. If it's just the dirty wing, I'd like to be able to either buy the update parts or the old wing separately. The decal sheet might be interesting with VF-211, VF-32, and VF-154, so I am reservedly interested in this kit.

Edited by Swordsman422
12 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

...If it's just the dirty wing, I'd like to be able to either buy the update parts or the old wing separately....

So why not just buy the original release?  Or just wait for the inevitable "all in one" release?

4 hours ago, habu2 said:

So why not just buy the original release?  Or just wait for the inevitable "all in one" release?

Why "inevitable"? As in "inevitable F-16D"? Judging by Tamiya's track record an "all in one" release is not very likely. Unfortunately.

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

Because I'd like to build a late model A from the Tamiya kit without having to also buy tons of resin to convert it. Don't get me wrong, I think that Phase Hangar and Steel Beach make wonderful products, but it's less of a hassle if I can work in styrene.

This is great news I have a bunch of Phase Hangar Resin sets to convert kits already but want an Out the Box Late A cause OOB is  my favorite way to build. And then the PE Set with probes and such .....My question is why didn't they do this 5 years ago.... I'll have to buy this also. Tamiya knows how to get my money that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 5:35 PM, Joe Hegedus said:

That would be me.  There's only 1 F-14 I'm interested in buiding, ergo only 1 kit needed.  

Second! I already got THE one. Just too damn expensive for me. Unless I get a raise (a substantial one) I just could not justify a second Tamiya F-14. However, as I usually say, it's good to have more options to chose from. Perhaps there will be a sort of boxing with everything, similar to F-16 adversary boxing.

On 7/7/2021 at 2:06 PM, Swordsman422 said:

And there is a shooter figure, and compressed nlg along with a paper carrier deck. Seems pretty comprehensive.

27 minutes ago, gtypecanare said:

bdd26d22e6a42c6a07d15dd86eaa0c3b.jpg

Item# 61122

Grumman F-14A Tomcat

Late Model Carrier Launch Set

Well looks like I need to work more overtime  for this one. 

2 minutes ago, joscasle said:

Yep. And I need to buy another set of wings on ebay.

That's what I've done. I am hoping that parts E25 are still included in this kit. The screws can be sourced from elsewhere.

One prospect I'm excited about is that Quinta Studios might make a set for this kit which would include the PTID screen. Once that's out, it'll probably work on Phase Hangar's excellent cockpit conversions so that updating the original F-14A kit or backdating the F-14D won't be so hard.

9 minutes ago, Swordsman422 said:

That's what I've done. I am hoping that parts E25 are still included in this kit. The screws can be sourced from elsewhere.

One prospect I'm excited about is that Quinta Studios might make a set for this kit which would include the PTID screen. Once that's out, it'll probably work on Phase Hangar's excellent cockpit conversions so that updating the original F-14A kit or backdating the F-14D won't be so hard.

Yeah sure. But I really don't understand this Tamiya release. How many  people build Tomcats in take off position vs standard sweep position? These is the F-14A configuration with were you can build most schemas, but Tamiya limits the possibilities !!!!!

Edited by joscasle