Tamiya 1/48th Grumman F-14A Tomcat late variant (item#61122) with detailed wings (flaps, slats etc.)

I too want a late A with clean wings. Based on what I am seeing in the pics and the discussion on FB, here is what I gleaned:

- This new boxing has TCS, NACA, ECM bumps under the glove vane, and raised front landing gear.

- You can probably order (1) sprue A, and (2) the screw / washer set of the original boxing from Tamiya USA:

10541984n.jpg?fbclid=IwAR2VthjTMk_mduQyX

10411171n8.jpg

- Part E25 (refer to the instructions here: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10411171), which is needed for the movable clean wings, should already be included in the new boxing as that tree also has the horizontal stabs and other common pieces:

10411171n4.jpg

So, a parked with clean and movable wing late A is possible if you can purchase sprue A and the screw set, or find somebody who wants to trade for these parts.

Edited by Janissary

Quite right.

The screws and washers themselves are fairly common metric sizes and can be easily acquired separately. There are also several stores on ebay that part out kits and frequently have the wing sprues available.

Edited by Swordsman422

Is it already known whether the ECM bumps will be molded as part of updated fuselage parts or add-on bits (as the presence of pre-drilled holes in the original fuselage would suggest)?

Thanks,

Arnaud

2 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Is it already known whether the ECM bumps will be molded as part of updated fuselage parts or add-on bits (as the presence of pre-drilled holes in the original fuselage would suggest)?

Thanks,

Arnaud

The ECM bumps are in the promo images above.

As to the blister on the nose gear and beaver tail, GPS dome on the spine, and NACA gun gas vents, these parts were already molded for the F-14D and will likely be included in the box. Two of the decal options are for VF-211 and VF-154, and I bet at least one of these jets will be LANTIRN capable, which means it will have all these details.

I am currently building the original F-14A kit #61114 and really enjoying the build: high quality engineering and really nice detail where it counts.

To me, the biggest fascination of the Tomcat is the incredibly smart wings. The wing sweep of course, but when landing of low speed manoeuvring you got the leading edge slats the flaps and flaperons and the direct lift control spoiler on the wing upper surface. Tamiya clearly made a commercial judgement that they would sell more units by offering post-ante movable wings rather than having the builder make an ex-ante choice between wings forward or wings swept aft. Not useful to me... I don't want to play with the wings after building it!

Anyways, looks like my wish is coming true and I will get the option to show a Tomcat in take off stance. It looks like this new #61122 boxing, will still - unfortunately - not include detail for the DLC which would have shown off the wings even more and given options to pose the display for landing. But regardless, I am happy with what we are being offered here. I'll buy this for sure.

(I've come back to the hobby after a number of years and crikey... the quality of models available has really taken off...).

• 2 weeks later...

Although the initial indications are that this kit comes with extended wings only, I can't help but want to see this confirmed? 
I have a set of folding wings on the way in the mail btw, so will be ready when the kit is released 🙂

8 hours ago, Niels said:

Although the initial indications are that this kit comes with extended wings only, I can't help but want to see this confirmed? 
I have a set of folding wings on the way in the mail btw, so will be ready when the kit is released 🙂

It has only extended wings. By that It has a new wing spar in the fixed position. You can read the description in the Tamiya press release. Hopefully At some point you may be able to purchase the new part trees with the Late A parts.

Even if it is just dirty wings only in the kit, it looks like all you'll need for the functioning wing sweep is Sprue A from either the initial F-14A or F-14D kits. Looks like the new straight only wing support needs the same screws and parts to fit in as the swept wing set-up.

22 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

That.... is not a late model F-14A.

Most of us would consider that mid-life at best.

It can be built out of the box to represent an LANTIRN-capable F-14A, including the NACA gun vents, PTID, and various ECM blisters. Two of the decal options are post-2002. I'd call that a late F-14A.

16 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

That.... is not a late model F-14A.

Most of us would consider that mid-life at best.

Well, now I’m ready to learn. What would you add to make it “late model”? I don’t know all of the ins and outs of the kit, but I feel like I see what I would expect in a late F-14A.

56 minutes ago, Swordsman422 said:

It can be built out of the box to represent an LANTIRN-capable F-14A, including the NACA gun vents, PTID, and various ECM blisters. Two of the decal options are post-2002. I'd call that a late F-14A.

Agree!!

1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

Well, now I’m ready to learn. What would you add to make it “late model”? I don’t know all of the ins and outs of the kit, but I feel like I see what I would expect in a late F-14A.

my bad, I evidently missed the part where it came with the later parts.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be wrong but aren't there five decal options as it looks as if there are options for Gypsy 202 and 207 on the decal sheet.

Edited by Stephen
grammar
3 hours ago, Simon Ocean said:

(Tamiya website showing incorrect description of decal option A. This is not VF-154 Black Knights. It is clearly VF-32 Swordsmen.)

You're correct. Looks like a cut and paste mistake from marking option D.

Cheers,

John