Tamiya 1/48th Grumman F-14A Tomcat late variant (item#61122) with detailed wings (flaps, slats etc.)

4 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

I see there are options for a Libyan mig killer. Anyone know if that is the one in the Smithsonian? The photo's arent high enough resolution for me to tell

In fact it is. Markings for BuNo 159610, Gypsy 207, are included (along with those for stablemate Gypsy 202).

eazwfWu.jpg

BuNo 159610, circa 1989

VZawsfW.jpg

…and the same aircraft today (having since undergone a sex change operation) at Udvar-Hazey

iv6zoxJ.jpg

Edited by RichB63
4 hours ago, RichB63 said:

In fact it is. Markings for BuNo 159610, Gypsy 207, are included (along with those for stablemate Gypsy 202).

eazwfWu.jpg

BuNo 159610, circa 1989

VZawsfW.jpg

…and the same aircraft today (having since undergone a sex change operation) at Udvar-Hazey

iv6zoxJ.jpg

I wouldn't really call it a sex change, more like an intense gym regimen...

21 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

Exactly my question, does it have the D engines or is it just the early A kit with the wing sprue replaced and the late "A" bits added?

The good news here is that the engine shrouds for the F110 engines do come with the kit - as seen on the sprue pictured above. So, aftermarket nozzles and afterburner cans are all you need to switch it to a “B”.

….giving you what the F-15 guys referred to as “the big motors”. 

https://spruebrothers.com/resrsu480067u-1-48-reskit-f-14d-tomcat-open-exhaust-nozzles-tam-kit/

Edited by andrew.deboer
On 7/29/2021 at 2:03 AM, joscasle said:

How many  people build Tomcats in take off position vs standard sweep position? 

At least one 🙂 

Although that's not the Tamiya (by lack of such option originally at best)

SbS_F14_156_AMK_final.png

Nothing beats the Tomcat catapult stance 🙂

Too bad Tamiya missed it in their first release, but glad they are correcting that mistake !!

A shame they missed the spoilers, but this new offering is better than nothing

Oh my, what a lovely kit but boy what a price tag! That thing costs almost as much as a 1/32 bird. Well, still no choice for a Tomcat nutt I guess. As I cannot bring myself around going for that "warped" AMK thing I guess I just have to bite but still .... boooyyyy that price tag!😵

Edited by bushande
2 hours ago, bushande said:

Oh my, what a lovely kit but boy what a price tag! That thing costs almost as much as a 1/32 bird. Well, still no choice for a Tomcat nutt I guess. As I cannot bring myself around going for that "warped" AMK thing I guess I just have to bite but still .... boooyyyy that price tag!😵

The price tag is only a few dollars more than the original F-14A release. MSRP is $129.00 whereas kit 61114 (original F-14A kit) is $115.00 and regularly retails at around $90. I would expect the retail of this new boxing to be around $100. In comparison, the 1/32 Tamiya kit is closer to $175-$200 retail.

Cheers,

John

Will it have the D sprue from the A or D kit? Also the engine compressor face will be for the A.

With this kit, Tamiya now have every sprue needed to make every F-14 variant, the fact that that there's an un-used ALQ-188 implies at least one more boxing, perhaps a B?

Edited by tarlucan
On 9/7/2021 at 7:07 PM, CF104 said:

The price tag is only a few dollars more than the original F-14A release. MSRP is $129.00 whereas kit 61114 (original F-14A kit) is $115.00 and regularly retails at around $90. I would expect the retail of this new boxing to be around $100. In comparison, the 1/32 Tamiya kit is closer to $175-$200 retail.

Cheers,

John

Hmmm ... so much to pricing differences. Over here in Europe I can "grab" a Tamiya Block90 Alpha for about 80 Euros, and a 1/32 Tamiya F-14 for something around 130 Euros regularly. Gives me hopes that retail for this one here might still drop a bit over here?! Fingers crossed!

48 minutes ago, bushande said:

Hmmm ... so much to pricing differences. Over here in Europe I can "grab" a Tamiya Block90 Alpha for about 80 Euros, and a 1/32 Tamiya F-14 for something around 130 Euros regularly. Gives me hopes that retail for this one here might still drop a bit over here?! Fingers crossed!

I doubt that, the cost of shipping items from the far east has gone up by about 400% so the price is more likely to rise.

Detail and Scale showed on September 5th all the sprues in the new boxing - you can view all in this thread, just click the arrow to the side to go to next; 
Facebook

Edited by Niels

Seems like that link comes back with "content unavailable".   Would the wing flaps and spoiler positions for the cat launch display work for a landing dio?   Understand will have to cut up the landing gears to extend the struts.

1 minute ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

I take it there won't be any spoilers in the new release? Just slats & flaps,, will there? 

I asked the same question, and didn't get an answer, but I am assuming that since they specifically mention flaps and slats, and not spoilers, that we will have to be happy without posable spoilers.  But I could be wrong.  Having ALL those control surfaces posable was one of the many reasons I got the AMK F-14D model in addition to the Tamiya F-14D, so I could have an F-14 with ALL the wing surfaces out of their 'normal' positions.  I gather that the flaps and slats will be sufficient for posing the airplane in the 'crouched' stance, ready to fly off the front end of the carrier.  I'm definitely going to build my new Tamiya F-14 just like that!

17 minutes ago, Curt B said:

I asked the same question, and didn't get an answer

Hi Curt,

Hahaha... it was even worse than that for my husband, when he ordered the KASL wing set trusting that the vendor assured it'd also bring the spoilers...

Thankfully for him, Darren Roberts was more than kind and generous to come through.  

11 hours ago, flanker27 said:

You need to apply to join the group, once approved you can see the page.

I don’t approve of letting der Zuckenbergenmeister get even richer off my personal information…

3 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Curt,

Hahaha... it was even worse than that for my husband, when he ordered the KASL wing set trusting that the vendor assured it'd also bring the spoilers...

Thankfully for him, Darren Roberts was more than kind and generous to come through.  

Gwen, glad it worked out for your hubble!  It really stinks when you are expecting something to be a certain way, and it turns out not to be the case.  I certainly get it!!