Tamiya 1/48th Grumman F-14A Tomcat late variant (item#61122) with detailed wings (flaps, slats etc.)

• 1 month later...

I just found the kit at Scalehobbyist.  I don't know how long it's been available there or other US locations, but I placed my order for 2 of them.  So now, I'm going to have 2 1/48 F-14Ds (one Tamiya, one AMK) and 2 F-14As (both Tamiya), all of which remain unbuilt.  It's going to be spectacular when I start these, though! 

I presume that the Quinta F-14A cockpit set that was obviously developed for the initial Tamiya F-14A kit (61114) would be just as applicable to this new F-14A (61122), correct?  Or were there significant changes between the 61114 14A and the 'late' 61122 14A cockpits?  Thanks for any thoughts on this.

9 hours ago, zerosystem said:

It's a nice looking kit with alot of options, short of the original set of wings and F-14D exhausts you could build a -B. 

Thanks - got a set of wings and exhausts from Evilbay, so well covered 😄

15 hours ago, Niels said:

So what's the first impression? 

Nothing taken off the trees yet, but moulding and detail seem as great as the rest of the kit.  As I figured the diorama placement isn’t up to the level of kit. The cat track and shuttle need to 3D printed. The overall photo quality and paper might have been good enough for a normal deck section. 

1 hour ago, is it windy yet? said:

Nothing taken off the trees yet, but moulding and detail seem as great as the rest of the kit.  As I figured the diorama placement isn’t up to the level of kit. The cat track and shuttle need to 3D printed. The overall photo quality and paper might have been good enough for a normal deck section. 

To be fair the RRP is pretty close to the other boxing so the diorama stuff is effectively free.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, Curt B said:

I just found the kit at Scalehobbyist.  I don't know how long it's been available there or other US locations, but I placed my order for 2 of them.  So now, I'm going to have 2 1/48 F-14Ds (one Tamiya, one AMK) and 2 F-14As (both Tamiya), all of which remain unbuilt.  It's going to be spectacular when I start these, though! 

I presume that the Quinta F-14A cockpit set that was obviously developed for the initial Tamiya F-14A kit (61114) would be just as applicable to this new F-14A (61122), correct?  Or were there significant changes between the 61114 14A and the 'late' 61122 14A cockpits?  Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I ordered one yesterday from them.

As for the Quinta set, I'm sure the original one will work, as well.  I've got a set for the first "A" kit and will need to pick up a second set for this one.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, Curt B said:

Not having seen the new kit parts, it’s likely that the rear IP could have the square PTID instead of the original round one, and I don’t believe that that’s covered in the Quinta set.

27 minutes ago, FlyAndFight said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  I ordered one yesterday from them.

As for the Quinta set, I'm sure the original one will work, as well.  I've got a set for the first "A" kit and will need to pick up a second set for this one.

You're welcome!  Scalehobbyist also has the best prices...they just take a small bit longer to deliver their stuff than, say, Spruebrothers.  

13 minutes ago, Curt B said:

You're welcome!  Scalehobbyist also has the best prices...they just take a small bit longer to deliver their stuff than, say, Spruebrothers.  

I actually ordered the 1/48 Eduard P-51D kit as well, which showed as "available" and would be in stock on the 27th.  So I hope they just hold the Tomcat until they have the Mustang in and ship them out together.

27 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Not having seen the new kit parts, it’s likely that the rear IP could have the square PTID instead of the original round one, and I don’t believe that that’s covered in the Quinta set.

Thanks for that info, Dave.  

Hi,

Need some help and apologies if it's been covered before. Does / did the F-14A as now available with the dirty wing carry the same bomb loads as later models, notably the D?

So not Air superiority but bombing missions? I.e. was the D more capable / versatile in this respect?

Thanks all,

Marc.

2 hours ago, serendip said:

Hi,

Need some help and apologies if it's been covered before. Does / did the F-14A as now available with the dirty wing carry the same bomb loads as later models, notably the D?

So not Air superiority but bombing missions? I.e. was the D more capable / versatile in this respect?

Thanks all,

Marc.

The A/B/D all carried laser/cluster/slick/retarded bombs.  I am 99% sure only the B/D carried the JDAM though. 

The Alpha's could carry everything the Delta's could carry except for JDAM's (GBU-31V2 and GBU-38, only VF-31 and 213 were authorized to carry GBU-38 on their last cruise, VF-101 did the testing).

Also, the Delta's were never authorized to carry the ALQ-167, only the Alpha's and Bravo's were authorized to carry that pod.

hth

GW

Edited by GW8345
Because I had a brain fart.

All,

Thanks for all the feedback and the level of knowledge and willingness to share is impressive as always.

As I understand it then the late A is as far as ordnance goes same as the D potentially except for the JDAM.

I'm looking however for an F-14 with white undersides in a ground attack role or did that never happen, i.e., were they all overall grey?

Thanks again,

Marc.

4 hours ago, serendip said:

All,

Thanks for all the feedback and the level of knowledge and willingness to share is impressive as always.

As I understand it then the late A is as far as ordnance goes same as the D potentially except for the JDAM.

I'm looking however for an F-14 with white undersides in a ground attack role or did that never happen, i.e., were they all overall grey?

Thanks again,

Marc.

The only time a white bottomed Alpha did air to ground ordnance was when the prototypes were conducting the initial testing (early 70's) and no one makes the bomb racks/rails needed to depict that configuration.