Tamiya 1/48th Grumman F-14A Tomcat late variant (item#61122) with detailed wings (flaps, slats etc.)

11 minutes ago, serendip said:

Thanks!

Any idea if VF84 or VF2 were outfitted for A2G with the schemes depicted in the original Tamiya Tomcat boxing but painted all grey instead of grey on white as offered in the Tamiya boxing? I have that one also but finished it as a VF-111 bird so still have the original (VF84 and VF2) decals.

Hope that still makes sense.

No, the kit schemes from #61114 were way before A2G came on line for the Tomcat community.

Steve

Your correct, they are carrying inert ordnance but, these pics are from the mid nineties. The markings in the kit are from the 1976 ( VF-2 ) and, 1979 ( VF-84 ) timeframe. So, the answer is no, you can't use those markings for jets with bombs.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Perhaps this has been discussed in this thread but I've not noted it...  Does anyone have an opinion on whether there are any aftermarket ejection seats that would be an improvement over the Tamiya seats?  

in addition, I still don't have a definitive answer about whether the Quinta set that was made for the first Tamiya F-14A would be appropriate for this kit, or whether we can expect, or rather, need, an updated Quinta set for this kit (which, if needed, Quinta is hopefully work on).

Phase Hangar makes perfect fit seats. They are based on the kit seat and are a drop fit. Eduard also fits well. And Verlinden seats are pretty easily fit in. Everything else doesn’t fit the kit tub… Aires are the worse fitting ones I’ve seen. They fit their tub but not the kit. 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
Verlinden info
8 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Phase Hangar makes perfect fit seats. They are based on the kit seat and are a drop fit. Eduard also fits well. Everything else doesn’t fit the kit tub… Aires are the worse fitting ones I’ve seen. They fit their tub but not the kit. 

5 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I've always thought the Aires seats looked clunky and boxy compared to the real thing.

Thanks for chiming in guys. I’m happy to be corrected. It helps explain why Aires don’t market these seats by themselves, at least not for the Tamiya kit. 

On 11/5/2021 at 3:39 AM, kozlok said:

Sorry, I was more addressing Niels' point implying VF-84 never carried ATG.  

Kozlok, 

The original question was if the marking schemes in the kit carried A2G, and the answer to that is still correctly no. 

Then there was a second question, although the same essentially; did the F-14A carry A2G in Grey/White color scheme - again the answer was and still is no. 

I never said the F-14A never carried A2G, my reply was directly to the question on the kit markings as described here. I did learn something new however wrt VF-84 in this thread through the pictures of the jets carrying dumb bombs, but coming back to the original questions this was at a different timeframe than the original question was related to.  

I can see why a lot of modellers want to replace the Tamiya cockpit's sparsely-detailed instrument panels, somewhat-thick ejection seat handles and solid-looking cushions and coaming fabric with realistic aftermarket products.   I don't know if others have had the same experience but you might learn from mine.  I used the Eduard tubs/seats on my closed-canopy Tamiya F-14s.  My problem was that the canopy wouldn't close properly -- sills don't align with the canopy edges and the canopy hits the upper corners of the RIO coaming, which I had to shave off a lot of material from for the canopy to close.   I think the Eduard tub is meant for open-canopy representations so if you intend to pose the Tamiya in a launch position with the canopy closed and use the Eduard tub you may run into the same issues I had.   

The first thing I noticed was that with the Eduard tub in place, pressing the fuse halves together at both ends would make the sills bulge outwards very slightly.   I knew then that I will have alignment issues with the canopy.   I had to shave off some material from the sides of the tub to correct this. The RIO coaming is a little wide (?) -- had to do some sanding are reshaping on the "fabric" for the canopy to close.  In addition, the bar/bridge has to be cut off from Part H6 per Eduard instructions to make way for the Eduard RIO coaming.   Part H6 is the "cockpit frame" below.   I believe this plays a very important role in keeping the shape of the forward fuselage true as far as alignment with the closed canopy.   It practically dictates the width and shape of the cockpit opening so that the fuselage matches the contours of the canopy edges.  Without the bar, Part H6 loses its shape and changes the width of the cockpit opening and canopy alignment suffers in turn.   And if the fuselage sides or sills are bulging outwards there won't be anything to to push them inwards with the bar gone.

img%5D 

All in all it required a lot of sanding/manipulation for the canopy edges to match the fuselage's width.  And in the end I also had issues with the fit of J5 (Tamiya windscreen) -- had to scrape off overhangs resulting from the changes.

As far as Aires -- I agree, too, with what the other guys mentioned about the Aires seats not fitting other tubs.   I used the Aires seats in the Eduard tub in one of my F-14s and had to scrape off a lot of material from the lower edges of the seat to make them fit.    I'm not sure if the newer Aires complete cockpit tubs that are meant for the Tamiya kit are true drop-ins and are good for closed-cockpit representations, but I've decided from now on to keep the Tamiya cockpit parts intact as much as possible for future builds.  I may just replace the seats but not complete tubs.   I did purchase some Quinta decals to enhance the cockpit and save myself from instrument panel painting blues as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.   All in all, your mileage might vary from mine, but just be careful about using aftermarket tubs on closed-canopy Tamiya builds.  They are spectacular for open-canopy builds, though.

Edited by crackerjazz
On 11/4/2021 at 6:51 PM, Curt B said:

In addition, I still don't have a definitive answer about whether the Quinta set that was made for the first Tamiya F-14A would be appropriate for this kit, or whether we can expect, or rather, need, an updated Quinta set for this kit (which, if needed, Quinta is hopefully work on).

It depends…as you can see from the instructions below, Tamiya has you use the original cockpit panels for the VF-32 markings options and the new, upgraded pieces (from spruce U) for the other jets, which represent F-14A’s toward the ends of their service lives.

Quinta 48048 for the Tamiya F-14A is an early configuration cockpit appropriate for some, but not all, of the choices offered in the new Tamiya kit. I don’t know if Quinta have plans to release a “late A” cockpit.

Others here might have more information about the cockpit configuration change: when it took place and what jets were affected by it. In any case, the differences are relatively minor and might not bother (or be noticed by) many modelers.

The instructions image is a screenshot I lifted from the preview video posted on page 5 of this thread.

0E166B2E-99BD-4776-851B-3715F8A20174.jpeg

Edited by RichB63
On 11/5/2021 at 3:55 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Phase Hangar makes perfect fit seats. They are based on the kit seat and are a drop fit. Eduard also fits well. And Verlinden seats are pretty easily fit in. Everything else doesn’t fit the kit tub… Aires are the worse fitting ones I’ve seen. They fit their tub but not the kit. 

Brian, that's exactly why I ordered 3 sets of Phase Hangar F-14A seats.  2 for my Tamiya 1/48 F-14A kits, and one more for a spare.  Now it's time to find the best ejection seats for the Tamiya and AMK 1/48 F-14D airplanes, presuming these are the same seats that go into the A model aircraft.  If it turns out that that is tue, one more order of one more set of Phase Hangar seat pairs will do it!  And then, what's the best aftermarket seat for the newest Tamiya F-4B?  Might it B Phase Hangar again?  I saw the Eduard versions of the F-4B seats, and they look pretty much BANG ON (no pun intended)!!