Review of Adriatic Models Wessex HU.5 parts in 1/32nd

I received a box, with the word "FRAGILE" on it, I thought maybe it was a major award?

Anyway, FedEx did their best to destroy it, the Box was practically round, and the tracking said it followed the routing of ROME-PARIS-NEW YORK-PARIS-MEMPHIS-WINNIPEG... I don't know why. but it certainly did a world tour!

These parts are extremely well researched, and well printed. I have gotten several other parts from Shapeways, these were cheaper, and the plastic look different, but once I get into it I may do a comparison. Hendie (from Britmodeller) who made the other parts also did a lot of research and the parts look good too.

59pje52.jpg

7PezbdC.jpg

Adriatic packed the box well, all the parts were in blister packs and taped down with strong double sided tape. makes it tough to remove the parts but hey, they ain't going anywhere on their own! (Free mask included, to keep us all safe a little longer).

ahglX10.jpg

I ordered everything that was available for the Wessex HU.5, there are a couple pieces particular to the HC.2 that I did not order.

First up, there were a LOT of packages

zuwolVf.jpg

First up, internal rib detail

Rw4yUiT.jpg

i1zrF1l.jpg

There is enough for both sides with pieces to spare as well as connectors, including the frame surround of the sliding door. the detail is very nice, and includes the details for the emergency exit opening.

Rotor head, and tail pylon detail, includes the fold with bulkheads as well as the intermediate gear box

J6dWHCS.jpg

Inside the air intake is next, with the classic frame included. you have to source mesh on your own, and I do have some ideas, there are 2 parts so if you mess up, you should be able to recover! This covers important details that FLY did not include at all.

iecLWcZ.jpg

To place IN the intake well are 2 Rolls Royce Gnome H-1400 fronts, included are 2 separate styles of starter bullet, and also the variable guide vanes are visible on the engine sides

23YUgKN.jpg

Next up, bulkheads to move the cabin ceiling up a little. This will fix the transmission deck floor to the proper height, it includes corrected and refined detail

2EOxk2I.jpg

Engine exhausts and exhaust door, contains 2 different style exhausts, both for floats and without floats, 

OBOvRRC.jpg

Cockpit details, just sublime. Some parts broke off the carrier, but as far as I can see no parts broken, it was supposed to include cyclic stick grips, but none was present, but I got 4 collective sticks. the details are incredible, and will replace parts that were broken in the Fly kit.

Lw3sW9B.jpg

Ca2U1ni.jpg

MGcUzP7.jpg

Next up Transmission deck details and transmission. This includes everything needed, such as rotor brake, hydraulic pumps, oil cooler, transmission, drive shaft and various other bits. It also came with a length of wire to liven the area up. The professionals on here will certainly be able to build a masterpiece, I hope to be able to clap something together that does it a little justice.

In addition I ordered an H-34 rotor head to supplement the one I broke for my MRC kit...

q1TIHdV.jpg

I forgot to grab a picture of the heater duct, but I may grab a picture of it tomorrow!

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

These look very nice.  I am converting the Sky Models kit into a USMC UH-34D.  I recently found out that Adriatic also has all the parts to do the UH-34D conversion as well...of course after I started and have most of it done. 😞

My conversion project:  

Another great helo in the making. I also have Adriatic models parts for mine but i am doing a H.34.

Please post photos of your build.

Oliver

Be extra careful when you cut out the rotor pedals...so fragile 

Edited by Rotorman

Here is the heating duct, and also some line connectors that were added for free! 

For comparison and as a handy pointer, I also included the Hendie parts from Shapeways, there are some tail rotor parts available that are really necessary. Also the Scale Warships rotor head. The best part about it is the clear top, as there is an oil reservoir on top. I plan to use the Scale Warship parts for the rotor cradles, to prevent a massive rotor diameter problem. Have many 32nd aircraft to build, and thus get room for more!

Here are some boxes and consoles that fit inside the nose piece, I probably won't be using most of the internals, but I wanted to see what it looked like, and can decide what I want to use and what not to use!

92npGUG.jpg

This is the heating duct specific to the Wessex, it uses bleed air from the compressor of the engines and gets extremely hot... If the valve is stuck open it will fast get uncomfortable in the cabin! 

OhxkrkH.jpg

Line connectors, or so I think, more nice parts for my collection for when "I get gud!"

xNyOJnz.jpg

Scale Warships rotor fold parts. The roots are pretty small compared to the Adriatic models ones, and I will have to experiment to see which I like! 

30p36Nw.jpg

Hendie parts from Shapeways, the main rotor transmission part is designed to take into account the transmission deck is 7mm too low. The parts are well designed, and I love the clear rotor head, as I can do the oil reservoir. The tail wheel unit and the tail rotor parts are a must if you ask me.. 

jnSt5pN.jpg

The last shot is the comparison of Adriatic Vs. Shapeways. I think the Adriatic parts are simply outstanding, but Hendie did a good job as well! The Adriatic has more detail, and designed to open the transmission area, Hendie's I think was just to look good below the mesh!

D1Khhi9.jpg

So there we are, final pieces are in. 

Adriatic has made a fantastic few sets for this FLY Wessex, I have seen the kit built well out of the box, but with these parts from Adriatic you should be able to make a masterpiece! The printing is superb, and details are great! Well worth the purchase!

• 1 month later...

I have since installed the nose section and the large nose flaps. I am very disappointed with the quality. That fits in itself and on the fuselage almost nothing. A lot of spackling was necessary. For the construction of a floor model I can not recommend these large parts!
The parts used by Oliver (Rotorman) are much better detailed and also seem to fit. Anyone who wants to build this should use these.
About the quality of the many small parts I can not say anything.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

On 8/2/2021 at 12:19 AM, Lupusprimus said:

I have since installed the nose section and the large nose flaps. I am very disappointed with the quality. That fits in itself and on the fuselage almost nothing. A lot of spackling was necessary. For the construction of a floor model I can not recommend these large parts!
The parts used by Oliver (Rotorman) are much better detailed and also seem to fit. Anyone who wants to build this should use these.
About the quality of the many small parts I can not say anything.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Sadly i agree with you on the nose item from Adriatic models, it does lack a bit of detailing which is weird because everything else from their lines of stuff is just incredible and a must if you are doing either an h.34 or a Wessex. I highly recommend Adriatic models products.  My nose conversion should be available from Reedoak by now.  

Lupusprimus, can you post photos of your build .

Oliver

Apologies for the thread drift.

Is there any way to get any of these S-58/H-34 noses produced in 1/144 scale? I am looking at the Mark I Wessex in that scale and wondering if it is possible to convert it into a HUS-1. The Wessex Mark 1 looks to have the closest nose shape to the Sikorsky piston version. Thanks.

LD. 

Edited by Loach Driver

In the pictures you can clearly see where the problem lies. The transitions do not fit, curves are different. With our template for the thermoforming molds, this is not so significant (you can't see the fine details there), but with a floor model, this is a disaster. The windshield did not fit at all, had to be made to fit with a lot of filing and grinding. And then massis putty at the transitions.

s58m01.jpg.6c825838d1a11878ea5702a4bf7fe9a6.jpg

s58m02.jpg.c18598ec3ffcdb7086f4d8a547cf2c5a.jpg

Edited by Lupusprimus
12 hours ago, Lupusprimus said:

In the pictures you can clearly see where the problem lies. The transitions do not fit, curves are different. With our template for the thermoforming molds, this is not so significant (you can't see the fine details there), but with a floor model, this is a disaster. The windshield did not fit at all, had to be made to fit with a lot of filing and grinding. And then massis putty at the transitions.

s58m01.jpg.6c825838d1a11878ea5702a4bf7fe9a6.jpg

s58m02.jpg.c18598ec3ffcdb7086f4d8a547cf2c5a.jpg

I agree with you the nose is way off and the side vents are in the wrong placement(too high).