1:48 RA-5C Research: Using burner cans from F-4J?

Hello all!

In researching this aircraft, I have been doing the dance of trying to buy everything available to end up with a build that is consistent in its era. I know the Trumpeter kit is really not great, mixing elements of aircraft from different blocks, but I think I have decided that 156609 from 1972 on the Constellation is the one I'll go with. Given this airframe was one of the later produced, it is my understanding that its engines would have been the J79-GE10, which is the same as was used on the F-4J. With that said, and the apparent unavailability of late-style after-market exhaust, would it be at all feasible to buy aftermarket F-4J exhaust and expect them to be correct? (Assuming they fit) Or would the engines be externally different despite being the same model?

From what I can tell the burner cans are the same or if different it is hard to tell the differences.  Be advised I haven't found any aftermarket burner cans that fit properly. The exhaust cans are extremely tight fitting to the exhaust openings on the real aircraft.  All the burner cans I have tried are to small leaving a much larger gap around the opening.  If I ever get around to building the model I will probably just have to live with that inaccuracy.

I've tried Eduard and GT resin.  I even thought about building up the opening on the kit with strip styrene but the opening would be to thick.  It is going to be something that is difficult to correct.

12 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Hello all!

In researching this aircraft, I have been doing the dance of trying to buy everything available to end up with a build that is consistent in its era. I know the Trumpeter kit is really not great, mixing elements of aircraft from different blocks, but I think I have decided that 156609 from 1972 on the Constellation is the one I'll go with. Given this airframe was one of the later produced, it is my understanding that its engines would have been the J79-GE10, which is the same as was used on the F-4J. With that said, and the apparent unavailability of late-style after-market exhaust, would it be at all feasible to buy aftermarket F-4J exhaust and expect them to be correct? (Assuming they fit) Or would the engines be externally different despite being the same model?

I have a friend that worked on both F-4J's and RA-5C's while in the Navy. The engines aside from any minor airframe detail points are the same. So that would be the J79-8's that were used in the F-4B/N are the same for the early RA-5C's and the J-79-10's for the F-4J's and late RA-5C's. Any J79 burner cans for the respective airframe would be correct. 

I have a set of Aires resin J79-10 burner cans for the F-4J that I would have been using on my Trumpeter Viggie. 

Edited by jpk

efd327, thanks again! I am still waiting for the kit itself to arrive at my door, but once it does, I'll try a couple ideas I have and get back to you.

jpk, thanks for replying! Have you test fitted the Aires set? You said that you would have been using them; did something change?

I have test fitted them sort of. Just to check if the diameters were close. I believe they were, it's been a long time since I last checked. Trumpy Viggie is such a lost opportunity by Trumpy. Just for general info. Don't bother with the Cutting Edge cockpit set. Or the forward fuselage correction. The intake trunk sets are good to have along with the fin correction and weapons tunnel cap...if you can find them. 

Understood. Yeah, it sounds like a shame that Trumpeter didn't put enough effort into the design of that kit. I was going to have a look at an Aires cockpit, though I know they are of dubious accuracy sometimes. Have you seen one of them up close?  I haven't seen other correction sets for sale at all. I was thinking that I could try to fix the fin top myself, but we'll see. 

Fixing the fin top is easy no doubt but the weapons tunnel cap is nice over the kit part. They come together in the set. I had the CE cockpit set and it really wasn't worth the money. Not that is was inaccurate it just didn't improve over what trumpy did a whole lot. Plus if you close the canopy there's not much to see in the back cockpit. I've never seen the Aires set. If you can get the intake set it is worth the money. It also corrects the intake lips. CE did both early and late intakes so be sure to get the correct one for your build if you are going that route. I pretty much had all the aftermarket for that kit when it first came out. I'll bet I spent twice over what the kit cost. However, the kit is a tough build even without the aftermarket. Mine sits in the box partially done. Nothing fits. No control surfaces mounting tabs. I think it was one of Trumpy's first kits. 

That does sound like a tough build. 

I am in the process of acquiring intakes from the company in Russia called XMM. I don't know much about them, but they too offer early and late intake styles, and include a corrected tail cone. As for the tunnel cap, I do not have much information about it, to be honest. I am still researching, but I'm truthfully not 100% sure what I'm looking for vs what's in the kit because I don't actually have the kit in my hands yet. Is the tunnel cap something that mounts on the center-line ahead of the camera fairing?

When the Aires cockpit arrives, I can send some pictures your way if you'd like to see and compare with what you have. 

Yep, I did manage to get one of those! I don't think there is a review or build log of this kit that doesn't mention the long un-supported seam. I'll just have to find a way to mate it with an intake set...

12 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

That does sound like a tough build. 

I am in the process of acquiring intakes from the company in Russia called XMM. I don't know much about them, but they too offer early and late intake styles, and include a corrected tail cone. As for the tunnel cap, I do not have much information about it, to be honest. I am still researching, but I'm truthfully not 100% sure what I'm looking for vs what's in the kit because I don't actually have the kit in my hands yet. Is the tunnel cap something that mounts on the center-line ahead of the camera fairing?

When the Aires cockpit arrives, I can send some pictures your way if you'd like to see and compare with what you have. 

Yes, I'd like to see what the Aires cockpit looks like v the CE one. 

I just pulled my Viggie out off the shelf of doom to take a peek in the box. I misspoke on the cockpit. It is a Black Box set. It has easily been over a couple of years since I looked at it. The tunnel cap has a fuel dump and a sensor pod that are really nice compared to what came in the kit as well as more accurate engraving. 

The BB cockpit doesn't fit very well. the fuselage won't close up completely. Ill need to do some trimming to allow it to close up. I'd really just like to get another kit to rebuild the fuselage. 

Edited by jpk
On 6/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, efd327 said:

I've tried Eduard and GT resin.  I even thought about building up the opening on the kit with strip styrene but the opening would be to thick.  It is going to be something that is difficult to correct.

The J79 burner cans from ResKit are wider than others I've tried.

Certainly the best looking on my ZM Phantom builds.

JPK, I'll let you know when the sets arrive and I'll post here for you. I assume the Aires cockpit wont fit well either. In my experience, they always need some attention from my Dremel before being closed in. We'll know soon. I'll also keep an eye out for a tunnel cap. What set was it part of? I can't even find it listed anywhere. I assume it was part of a larger correction set? 

Piker38, thanks for replying! I'll strike ResKit off my list. I have some MK1 exhaust for a Hasegawa F-4G, so I will try them for size when the Vigilante arrives. If they seem close, I know MK1 make exhaust for F-4Js, and possibly F-4Bs if I go with doing an earlier bird.

Edited by Specter1075
19 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

JPK, I'll let you know when the sets arrive and I'll post here for you. I assume the Aires cockpit wont fit well either. In my experience, they always need some attention from my Dremel before being closed in. We'll know soon. I'll also keep an eye out for a tunnel cap. What set was it part of? I can't even find it listed anywhere. I assume it was part of a larger correction set? 

Piker38, thanks for replying! I'll strike ResKit off my list. I have some MK1 exhaust for a Hasegawa F-4G, so I will try them for size when the Vigilante arrives. If they seem close, I know MK1 make exhaust for F-4Js, and possibly F-4Bs if I go with doing an earlier bird.

Don't misunderstand my comment... most aftermarket resin exhausts are undersized, the ResKit ones are BETTER , as they are closer to the correct diameter.

I ‘ve still got a Cutting Edge A-5A conversion set. This requires hacking the Trump kit in to chunks and grafting a ton of resin. I’m working up the nerve! I did the recce years ago and it is a mess. For sure that aft upper fuselage is like a sink hole and needs beefing up. An aftermarket cockpit of any brand along with some aforementioned exhausts will help. At least there is a generally good shape to start with.

Good luck with your build, Bill! It seems perverse, but I seem to achieve a better result with those kits that I end up hacking up and adding lots of resin to. Maybe you'll surprise yourself with how well it looks after you're finished! I have never done a build log before, but maybe I will make this kit my first and everyone can share in my pain...

Edited by Specter1075