MH-60L, Super 68 "Operation Irene" Kitty Hawk 1:35

I started this build almost a year ago, and I'm way into the build, but decided to post some in progress pics in case someone would find them useful or entertained.

This is gonna be my third try at helos and even if I'm not looking for a 100% accurate bird, at least I´d like it to have the general shape and looks of one of the Hawks back there in Somalia, this project will be OOB plus Werner's Wings decals. This build is taking a long time to finish cause at a certain point I ran out of references and/or skills to do it right, Gino's build has helped a lot as long as all his knowledge, Tim´s input has been great too, Charlie´s build and Floyd Werner's help, has made this journey a bit easier.

I cut the kit in various assemblies and this is some of the things I've done along the way

IMG_E1890

The tires have no thread so I tried to scrive it, only to realize I wasn't doing a good job, so I decided to paint the threads and from where I see them, they look good enough.

115905300_164676798450584_623388269465986596_n

rear rotor ready to install, and maybe waitting for more weathering later on

IMG_3971

Front IP and center console, painted and detailed with brush, the front IP is painted and only used the dials of the decal to avoid any kind of trouble with decals conforming over all that detail,

IMG_6570

Amo boxes. The big one was very hard to do since I had never seen one.

IMG_2098

H pilar with crane control detail

IMG_3979

Seats ready, damn I hate photoetched parts! I just can't make it to work

IMG_E1917

Roof and floor before assembly, since i really suck at PE I'm toying with the idea of using the Academy tank and calling it done! might give it another try tho

SJOG3543

and one interior shot to see how things look

Edited by kike

Coming along nicely.  A note on the tanks, the only one that carried them in Somalia in '93 was Super 63, the C&C bird, and none had the refueling boom.  The rest left out the tanks for more internal space.  Also, the large 20mm ammo box was not used then.

11 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Coming along nicely.  A note on the tanks, the only one that carried them in Somalia in '93 was Super 63, the C&C bird, and none had the refueling boom.  The rest left out the tanks for more internal space.  Also, the large 20mm ammo box was not used then.

Oh yes I forgot to tell you that I'm basing my build on the looks she has at the museum she's sitting now or more like a mix between the time of Somalia and her last days! I really like how they look!

8 hours ago, kike said:

I'm basing my build on the looks she has at the museum she's sitting now

Ah, that makes sense now.  With that in mind, it is looking great.  Keep it up.

12 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

That is beautiful work.  Love it all

Floyd

Glad you like it! and again, thnx for that awesome set of decals!!

2 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

It looks awesome so far. 

What brand and color green did you use for the ceiling and sidewall?

Tim

I used Olive Drab and olive drab tone down with light ghost gray for lights and faded look

19 hours ago, Rotorman said:

Top notch modeling going on here.

Beautiful interior

Glad you like it Oliver! my painting tries to emulate yours, even tho I get a thousand miles short, I´ve learnt from you never to paint a solid color and so far it's been working fine! still a lot to improve but I guess I'm on the right track! Thank you

56 minutes ago, kike said:

Glad you like it Oliver! my painting tries to emulate yours, even tho I get a thousand miles short, I´ve learnt from you never to paint a solid color and so far it's been working fine! still a lot to improve but I guess I'm on the right track! Thank you

My friend, you are on the right track. 

More sub-asemblies

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 19.27.31

Nose cowling with just paint and dry brushed

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 19.22.36

IMG_2119

IMG_2274

IMG_1885

IMG_2355

This is just a test for the paint to come, I've never worked a whole black model, the only thing I know is that the few parts I painted black have always been hard for me!

IMG_1955

The seat texture was made this time with the same jeans tag but this time damped in thinner and then pressed against the plastic, and I think iworked as fine but faster!

2 hours ago, kike said:

More sub-asemblies

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 19.27.31

Nose cowling with just paint and dry brushed

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 19.22.36

IMG_2119

IMG_2274

IMG_1885

IMG_2355

This is just a test for the paint to come, I've never worked a whole black model, the only thing I know is that the few parts I painted black have always been hard for me!

IMG_1955

The seat texture was made this time with the same jeans tag but this time damped in thinner and then pressed against the plastic, and I think iworked as fine but faster!

Reverse your modulation on your seat.

Since most of the interior is done, fuselage halves closure was next step. Beeing this a big kit a lot of dry fitting was necessary and a lot of problems were found, those needed to be addressed in order to get a nice fit and/or at least get the halves to touch each other. All the locating tabs had to be reworked in order to fit the way the were supossed to. I sanded a bit of the floor's sides and finally got a decent fit all over. the joint will need some make up work but I'm happy with the result

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.52

Warpage worried me a bit, but I satrted glueing from the back and had zero problems at the end.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.57(1)

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.58

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.58(1)

As you can see, the joints are not perfect but no plastic strips were needed.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.57

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.55

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.56

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.56(1)

Interior fitting was also quite good, even for me!

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.51(1)

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.51

Oppeinheimer pointed me out, the starboard sponsoon needed to be modified and decided to give it a shot, I tried to replicate his awesome scratched mod, and even if it wasn't as good it was good enough for me!

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 18.25.52(1)

And last, I worked on walkways, didn't imagine how hard it was to make them black over a black helo and make them stand out! this is the best I could do, and I like it.

Regards.

That is looking awesome so far. I broke down and bought a couple of these kits... So you build has been very educational for me. Especially your painting techniques. Black is not the easiest thing to paint. I am going to start on a AH-6J so that I can get practiced up.

Brandon

13 hours ago, jpk said:

Unbuildable Kitty Hawk. LOL. Looking fantastic.

Believe me, if I can do a decent job with this kit, anyone can! I wouln't call it unbuildable, it just needs a bit of work and lots of dry fitting. Actually this is one of the best kits I've had! I built the Venom and the Zulu and they were also awesome kits, those are the only ones I can speak of.

As I said, if I can make them look decent, just imagine them in the hands of the real good modelers!!! So for unbuildable kits I guess they do ok!

Glad you like my work!

7 hours ago, Bravosierra001 said:

That is looking awesome so far. I broke down and bought a couple of these kits... So you build has been very educational for me. Especially your painting techniques. Black is not the easiest thing to paint. I am going to start on a AH-6J so that I can get practiced up.

Brandon

I wouldn't be able to explain my "technique" when it comes to painting, I start with a base and move from there, black is the hardest color I've worked with that's for sure, and I was trying really hard no to get a toy like look! I hope I won't at the end!!

• 4 months later...

I painted most of the fuselage trying to imitate touch-ups and as many as possible tonal variation to give it a bit of depth to the paint job

IMG_6367

IMG_6368

IMG_6371

IMG_6373

Hope you like it!

Edited by kike

Everything was great until I layed the gloss cote down, most of the paint detail fade away or is barely visible, not bad but not the way it was, so I carried on.

I used Werner´s Wings "operation Irene? decal sheet, and let me tell you they are great, top notch quality! I strongly recommend Floyd's decals!!!

IMG_6428

IMG_6438

IMG_6477

IMG_6478

IMG_6484

Still a long way to go, but the ride has been really nice!