Hello-I have been working on my Minicraft 757-200 and think I have a fix for the Minicraft backwards strut

on the main landing gear. It is Y shaped but Minicraft has 2 legs of the Y going to the upper portion of the

main gear and one leg to the wheel well floor. From pictures I have seen one leg of the Y goes to the upper

portion of the main landing gear and the 2 Y connections go to the wheel well floor. The first image shows

the Minicraft way and the other 2 show the Boeing way. Does this look ball part close? jon

757 MLG strut 1.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

Jon, it seems to me, that in order to match the correct support strut placement and angles, you may have to switch the port & starboard Y struts. Try it and see if the geometry is better. If nothing else, you could secure the Y end to the forward edge of the undercarriage opening as it appears in the real photo. Oh, and thanks for pointing this out.

Edited by Dutch

I think waiting for the Zvezda kit is the best option. that minicraft kit is garbage.

this is the best shot I have of a 57 main gear right now. I'll try to get a good shot tomorrow morning If I have a chance.
If you need anythingelse specific for a 57 or 67 I might be able to help

20200405_100649.jpg

Edited by dylan
  • 2 weeks later...
  • jonwinn changed the title to 1/144 Minicraft 757

Jon,  Nice to see the progress! Is this OOTB?  I have heard of shape issues with the Minicraft kit, but it beat the old Leoman kit by a couple of miles.  Never had a Welsh kit to compare, but I hear they are nice also.  How is the Zvezda kit? K/r, Dutch

Dutch-I don't have any other 757-200 to compare it to. As far as my eye can see it "looks" like a 757. I was going to purchase the new Zvezda 757-200 but opted out for Zvezda's 787-9. I want something different, this is getting old. Maybe some day after I do a few more different types. jon

On 8/5/2021 at 12:06 PM, jonwinn said:

Dutch-I don't have any other 757-200 to compare it to. As far as my eye can see it "looks" like a 757. I was going to purchase the new Zvezda 757-200 but opted out for Zvezda's 787-9. I want something different, this is getting old. Maybe some day after I do a few more different types. jon

I have been working on a Minicraft 757 as well and having built a couple to date though the shape was OK. But on this build  (NASA jet) I put the the nose of the kit up against the decaling instructions and noticed the difference of the kit profile to the diagram, it is much flatter forward of the windscreen on the kit and the curve of the fuselage from the windscreen back is not right either.

Ray, that is the shape issue I have heard about.  When you place the windshield decal down, it sets at a weird angle, much like the almost smirk look on the Minicraft 707s & KC-135 family of kits.  I am not sure about the accuracy of the shape of the tail section, but Bra.Z sells a "correction" set.  Jon, let us know how your windshield decal goes down.

I am not saying the Minicraft 757 is perfect.  But I will give them credit for making an injection version long before anyone else did.  Maybe the nose is off, but I have always been happy with my NASA version courtesy of Flying Color Decals.  I will get the Zvezda kit someday.  

757rl_6.jpg.be782eacd929a06435db8b9b066c3cc0.jpg757rl_3.jpg.9f696e62e5c9a956c1f46553254b4a1b.jpg757rl_5.jpg.4889cd7caf305edc729cad0fd81e835d.jpg757rl_4.jpg.d9a87b21594227dac65798c9e796d650.jpg757rl_2.jpg.12ecc75446ba7e69bdd6cd2d1d6a58f4.jpg757rl_1.jpg.2ac0d0640aef30d95c74472ac5e8eb13.jpg

Edited by AD-4N
  • 3 weeks later...

More stressful decaling. None of the 3 pieces of the main body decal fit very good. The body decal is actually one piece! The doors and window exits don't line up well with Minicrafts molded in details. the doors and window exits on the decals and model are roughly 2 to 3 mm different and no way to separate them, they are where they are on the decals so you have to fudge and live with it. All the transitions on the fuselage top had to be slit to conform to the difference in Minicraft's fuselage diameter and the decal makers diameter. I did a lot of pipe fitting on tanks in a fab shop years ago and the nightmares have all come to haunt me in retirement! So much for "relaxing modeling". All in all it does not look bad except for the "splices" in all 3 places where the ribbon crosses the tangent on the fuselage top dead center. So far the one piece body decal is to be applied in 3 pieces for ease of application and sanity. jon

757 65.JPG

757 66.JPG