Iwata Eclipse SBS (side feed) - One Nozzle Size no Longer Works

So so major shenanigans going on. I have the Eclipse SBS side feed (purchased last Nov.), and after learning it's nuances, I thought I'd gotten to where I know how to use it, and how to properly clean it.

Not so fast....this weekend I was doing some touch-up to a TPS scheme, using the 0.35mm set, then started spraying Mr Color clear gloss (thinned 2:1  MLT to lacquer ratio, then thinned a bit more if needed), and cleaned it when finished, and left the nozzle to soak in lacquer thinner. Often I think I've cleaned it thoroughly, but it still gives me issues, so I have to re-clean.

Saturday, I put some MLT in the paint cup to test and flush out, and all the air is flowing back into the paint channels - POOF! all the MLT bubbled up and over.

I cleaned the nozzle several more times, also did a thinner & 1500 grit cleaning of the needle, but nothing seemed to work. I put a new nozzle - same thing. Then I replaced the needle - same thing. I re-cleaned the body of the airbrush 4 or 5 times that morning, same results - all the air is going back into the color cup.

I tried a 0.5mm set - works fine. Worked perfectly.

I'm stymied.....no clue what is going on in that thing. Very frustrating. Any tips/pointers are greatly appreciated.

That is a mystery. Are you using the same color cup/bottle in your tests? And the same side feed. I'm thinking about clogged side feeds here.

Very unlikely, but is the needle locking nut in all your tests fully tightened? And does the needle move in and out when the trigger is pulled?

Pressure changes between test? Have you run a very fine wire through the tip)s) that don't work.

Will plain water go through the 0.35mm tip?

I don't have an answer...I'm just giving you some ideas to explore.

If no others have the solution, maybe e mail Iwata or go to Don's Airbrush Tips

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
more info
5 hours ago, Bob Beary said:

That is a mystery. Are you using the same color cup/bottle in your tests? YES. And the same side feed. I'm thinking about clogged side feeds here.

Very unlikely, but is the needle locking nut in all your tests fully tightened? YES. And does the needle move in and out when the trigger is pulled? YES.

Pressure changes between test? I typically start at ~ 13 to 14 psi. Have you run a very fine wire through the tip)s) that don't work. YES (ish). The spray is reduced, and the air still backflows into the color cup. I've inspected, and the nozzles are clear and open. (I only tried spraying MLT through the new nozzle....same result as the one I'd used for several months.)

Will plain water go through the 0.35mm tip? Did not try that.

I don't have an answer...I'm just giving you some ideas to explore.

If no others have the solution, maybe e mail Iwata or go to Don's Airbrush Tips

Bob

Answers to Bob's questions in RED above.

A good cut-out of an AB and the pathways (starting at 3:40). Maybe that will help you narrow down where the problem is. Things I would check:

- Does the air flow back to the paint cup when (1) the trigger is merely pressed down or (2) do you need to pull it back also? 

- When you dry spray the AB (no liquid), does air come out through the front?

- With the nozzle off, can you insert the needle through the back as usual, push it all the way, and slide it out through the front with nothing in the way? 

- If you don't insert the needle and put water in the cup, tilt the AB down, what happens? Does the water drip out through the front? If not, again without the needle when you depress the trigger what happens?  

Edited by Janissary