Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C Starfighter

Hello all,

I started a new project as a sort of mojo build with a few aftermarket items to enhance the model. I've been wanting to do a highly reflective metal finish for some time now, and the starfighter was the perfect candidate.

The kit and some of the aftermarket items I'll be using.

bgE0Y9U.jpg

The first thing I did was drill out all the nav lights on the fuselage and cemented discs made from Evergreen sheet from the back side. I will later paint them with metallics and fill them with UV resin and clear colors followed by sanding and polishing with the fuselage.

jH1IG6O.jpg

I fabricated a HUD lens using a 36 gauge aluminum foil and UV resin for the instrument coaming. I'll paint the lens in clear green and glue it in place once the cockpit is painted and installed.

8UtwtPm.jpg

The kits cockpit opening had to be modified and the side walls thinned in order to accommodate the Aires resin tub.

A2Ah6ug.jpg

Test fit of the resin cockpit with the HUD lens temporarily put in place.

EnePO28.jpg

I also started working on the Reskit resin exhaust to check the fit of the nozzle, which required a small enlargement of the kits exhaust opening in order to fit.

HJrFPOC.jpg

1ieEOtm.jpg