CD72128 - 1/72 USAF C-135 Recon Variants

On 7/20/2021 at 12:37 AM, Drifterdon said:

Dutchmaster.   I'm looking for 1/72 engines.   I have several of the AMT RC-135s and was going to do one as 845 using Kursad's new decals.

I have more 1/144 KC-135A/E/R's than I can shake a stick at.

Doh!  What was I thinking!  Airfix 1/72 E-3D Sentry or Heller 1/72 E-3F/B AWACS may be possible sources as they include both TF-33 & CFM-56/F108.  Not sure if Flightpath is still available.  Check D.J. Parkins in the UK.

Edited by Dutch
add links

Just stumbled across these pics of 14849 - nose art apparently applied at the end of a 1976 Mildenhall TDY:

NA002_gotcha.jpg

And at some other point in time:

NA013a-1.jpg

NA013b-1.jpg

NA001_never.jpg

How much space is available on that insert, Kursad? 😀

Post on preceding page edited to replace linked Photobucket images with enlargeable clear and larger self-scanned versions...

Edited by andyf117
21 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

This is a pic of RC-135S Rivet Ball in her hanger on Shemya before she was lost in 1969.   King Hawes has a great story behind the sharks mouth that can be found here.   Raven-1 (rc135.com) on page 3 half way down.

Hadn't seen that site before, thanks!

I closed the design yesterday after adding the Russian excellent aircraft badge, and need to move on to other work to meet the printing deadline. Perhaps on the 1/144 sheet to come later. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

16 hours ago, Dutch said:

Doh!  What was I thinking!  Airfix 1/72 E-3D Sentry or Heller 1/72 E-3F/B AWACS may be possible sources as both includes both TF-33 & CFM-56/F108.    Not sure if Flightpath is still available.  Check D.J. Parkins in the UK.

The Airfix and Heller kits with both engine types are hard to find these days, the CFMs aren't on the Flightpath site at the moment. Only the E-3A kit was recently re-released by Heller.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi gents, not to steal the thread here, it is great to see decals for some OC/EC/RC-135s ! Quite a coincidence, as I am researching more my Gulf war RC-135V/Ws, even contacted Mr. Robert S. Hopkins III who flew them in Gulf and who wrote that Aerofax bible on all versions of C-135s. Got some new great info and also started a page for Gulf war versions of C-135s "how to", could be nice if somebody could do the same for all the versions on those planned decals. Can you check my page and see if it is "understandable" and correct re base kits ? Thanks ! C-135 variants

Edited by JakubJakepilot
20 hours ago, swimmer25k said:

Looking forward to this one.  I’ve got the Combat Conversions kit en route.  

Did you buy this on eBay, from seller Engine748?  I’m interested in tracking one down as well.

totally off topic, but your B-1B model at Nats was amazing!

3 hours ago, AnthonyWan said:

That’s what I’d use for a Cobra Ball too no? 

For Cobra Balls, yes.  All eras: early-mid-late with both engines: TF-33 & CFM-56.

Circa 1980 with TF-33s [JT3Ds].

Wiki_RC-135S_61-2663_Offut_unk.JPG.18ec9e00ab4e20565e2c7d2e9aced363.JPG

Circa 2020 with F-108s (CFM-56].

RC-135S_61-2663_KMSP_30Oct20.thumb.JPG.f362cd1f95797e94dc01e4d337777a98.JPG

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...

Almost ready for release - as I mentioned, these limited-edition sets are a combination of Microscale-printed main sheets and Cartograf-printed smaller sheets for the intricate, colorful unit markings. You will need the national insignia/stencils from the kit, or even better, the new C-135 general markings set (CD72070).

recon1.jpg

recon2.jpg

recon3.jpg

45 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Almost ready for release - as I mentioned, these limited-edition sets are a combination of Microscale-printed main sheets and Cartograf-printed smaller sheets for the intricate, colorful unit markings. You will need the national insignia/stencils from the kit, or even better, the new C-135 general markings set (CD72070).

Whoa! I'm ready to order as soon as the links go hot! 

On 7/20/2021 at 3:27 AM, Dutch said:

Doh!  What was I thinking!  Airfix 1/72 E-3D Sentry or Heller 1/72 E-3F/B AWACS may be possible sources as they include both TF-33 & CFM-56/F108.  Not sure if Flightpath is still available.  Check D.J. Parkins in the UK.

Anyone ever use this one?

http://enginesandthings.com/

#72139 is listed as a TF-33

D.J. Parkins page still shows TF-33 available.

Don, When I contacted the D.J. Parkins website a month ago, he replied that remaking the molds and casting would price each set above 50 pounds and that they probably would not sell. So he is not going to re-issue them.  If he has stock avail;able, buy it. But I think that these are the former D.B. Productions TF-33s for the E-3A/B/C with the peculiar short hump on the front of the engine pylon. The Engines & Things #72139 TF-33 is just the motor. No pylon, cowling, or trolly. HTH, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
22 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Don, When I contacted the D.J. Parkins website a month ago, he replied that remaking the molds and casting would price each set above 50 pounds and that they probably would not sell. So he is not going to re-issue them.  If he has stock avail;able, buy it. But I think that these are the former D.B. Productions TF-33s for the E-3A/B/C with the peculiar short hump on the front of the engine pylon. The Engines & Things #72139 TF-33 is just the motor. No pylon, cowling, or trolly. HTH, Dutch

Thanks for the info, guess I better order my stuff tonight.

Somewhere in the past is a discussion in the Jet forum about the differences in length between the AWACS TF-33 engine nacelles and pylons vs the TF-33 nacelles and pylons on the -135 types. I believe the 707 based AWACS are all longer applications despite each type using the same base engine inside. It may be the longer chord wing that determined that difference. I don’t believe there is any interchangeability. Check before you buy something that isn’t going to fit. 

Rick L.