CD48203 - 1/48 SEA Camo A-10C &F-16C

CD48203 will be a 1/48 sheet with markings for two recent USAF heritage jets that were painted in the Vietnam-era SEA camouflage scheme: an F-16C (86-0331) and an A-10C (81-0962).

There will be a 1/72 version (with markings for a SEA camo heritage T-38C) available soon.

cd48203.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

86-0331 is a block 30, which you can build from the Tamiya F-16C. This is also the best kit around. Either buy the block 50 which externally is similar or the F-16C/N which effectively gives you all you need to build the same aircraft. 

3 hours ago, Niels said:

86-0331 is a block 30, which you can build from the Tamiya F-16C. This is also the best kit around. Either buy the block 50 which externally is similar or the F-16C/N which effectively gives you all you need to build the same aircraft. 

The Block 50 has bulged main gear doors which the Block 30 does not. The best kit would be the F-16C/N .

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

The Block 50 has bulged main gear doors which the Block 30 does not. The best kit would be the F-16C/N .

Also need to use the light weight main gear parts if you wanna make it accurate. Oh and sand off the little bulges found were the wing meets the fuselage. (Those we’re only found on F-16’s block 40 and up) Also since it’s a FY 86 model block 30 it only has 2 chaff and flare buckets compared to the 4 found on later F-16’s. She also has the larger MCID air intake that was standard on all GE powered F-16’s numbered 86-0262 and up. 

Thanks. This is precisely the feedback I was looking for. I have the  Tamiya F-16C Block25/32 ANG .  I do not know the F-16 as well as I should. Is this kit a good one to start with for this?  I ordered the decal sheet  this weekend. 

11 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Thanks. This is precisely the feedback I was looking for. I have the  Tamiya F-16C Block25/32 ANG .  I do not know the F-16 as well as I should. Is this kit a good one to start with for this?  I ordered the decal sheet  this weekend. 

You’ll have the light weight gear I. The box but you’ll be missing the larger intake parts and the parts for the GE exhaust. You would be better off with the C/N kit. 

1 minute ago, achterkirch said:

You’ll have the light weight gear I. The box but you’ll be missing the larger intake parts and the parts for the GE exhaust. You would be better off with the C/N kit. 

Got it. I kept researching to try and find out the difference, it seems to center around the engine GE vs P&W .  What a fun rabbit hole to go down 😀  I love learning this stuff. The C/N is out of stock at my favorite places, I will keep looking. 

Actually the landing gear has been modified during the operational lifespan, hence you need to decide on what tail number and at what time to make it the most accurate. F-16A/B's and earlier blocks have all received the updated landing gear which moved the landing light from main gear to nose gear. 

86-0331 in the commemorative scheme has this mod, hence not having the "light" gear anymore, so the best choice is the Tamiya F-16C/N boxing. Then study reference photos. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Actually the landing gear has been modified during the operational lifespan, hence you need to decide on what tail number and at what time to make it the most accurate. F-16A/B's and earlier blocks have all received the updated landing gear which moved the landing light from main gear to nose gear. 

86-0331 in the commemorative scheme has this mod, hence not having the "light" gear anymore, so the best choice is the Tamiya F-16C/N boxing. Then study reference photos. 

I’m not talking about the light on the gear being moved to the nose gear door. Block 40 and up have the heavy weight gear vs 30/32 and below have the light weight gear unless your talking about some odds and ends like Greek block 30’s and upgraded Taiwan F-16V’s which are upgraded F-16A/B block 20’s. Those have the heavy gear That later blocks have. 

Ben, 

Provided big mouth intake and GE engine I would say yes. 

Achterkirch, 
In 1/48 scale you manage this by using the same landing gear - there is really no big difference other than potentially new wheels. That you will have to source aftermarket in worse case.