New Sukhoi fighter

1 hour ago, flybywire said:

I thought they are shying away from single-engine jets??

Times change

concepts change

tactics change

budgets change

. . . .

They want to get into the world export market with a cheap fighter like the MiG-21 was in early days.

In the past decades it became clear that they can provide long term product support in far away places. Dont see any problems there.

I am 1000% sure that Zvezda will do a kit in what ever scale and very soon! The shape is simple with lotst of flat surfaces! I dont see any reason why Zvezda would not following the concept of the "simple" (no rivets, little panel lines if at all. . .) Mi-24 kit (both scales), and the "simple" surface and internal details of the Su-57 fairly little investment will be needed to make the kit. At Zvezda CADs of the nose part already there, canopy parts already made for Su-57, engine exhaust already available, ejection seat is there . . .

And there is of course the National pride and patriocity . . .

Best regards

Gabor

On 7/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, ijozic said:

I can find such statements in the articles, thanks, but come to think of it, they are also expected to provide such support for the project. Thus, at this early project stage, I think it's a bit too early to take those statements as a given.

Don't get me wrong, with their budget troubles, a mix of light and heavy stealth fighters would certainly be much easier to swallow financially. I just kind of presumed they won't be too interested since they were avoiding the single engine aircraft in the last few decades.

Of course. I am just saying this thought it is export only is mostly an internet thing. We will see if and when RuAF will be buying T-75's, but i am willing to bet that they will.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:20 PM, jenshb said:

Sukhoi seems to be on a winning streak with Flankers, the Su-57 and now the "Checkmate", while Mikoyan-Gurevich seem to have lost the plot or fallen out of favour...The MiG-1.44 even looked like "yesterdays news".

Don't forget S-70 Jens... It is pretty big deal, literally and figuratively. Sukhoi is on a massive roll. "DrRansom" on secretprojects.co.uk summed it up nicely;

It has occurred to me that Sukhoi has one of the most practically experienced design teams working right now, in the past decade, they've flow the Su-57, Su-70, and now are designing this. The elegance of the design may reflect that recent experience. Compare to Boeing which in the past decade only designed the USN tanker and outsourced the USAF trainer to SAAB.

Checkmate seems to be a preview of the MR-X program and I half wonder if there aren't a few USAF fleet management experts who wished they could buy in.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:20 AM, jenshb said:

Sukhoi seems to be on a winning streak with Flankers, the Su-57 and now the "Checkmate", while Mikoyan-Gurevich seem to have lost the plot or fallen out of favour...The MiG-1.44 even looked like "yesterdays news".

Blasphemy!!! Mig 1.44 looks AWESOME!

And it is a crime we do not have one in true scale, 1/48. 

Edited by foxmulder_ms
19 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Blasphemy!!! Mig 1.44 looks AWESOME!

And it is a crime we do not have one in true scale, 1/48. 

The concept shown for the new naval fighter requirements has a similar configuration.

80612_fighter_890969.jpg

Edited by ijozic