F-4 questions for the experts

I'm building Tamiya's new F-4B and have two questions for those that know more about the Phantom:

- Some pictures show the engine air intake lips as metallic, some are painted over. Is there any rule of thumb for this? Pictures of aircraft from the same squadron seem to show a mix of metal and painted. I'm not sure if it is a change from metallic early on to painted over later, or if it is a variation in different models.

- Is there any significance between the radome's that are painted white and the those painted black?

Thanks for the help

• 3 weeks later...

It would depend on the timeframe for the individual airframe you're wanting to depict. The aircraft go through PAR at different times so it just depends. The entire airframe is stripped of paint & it gets a new coat during PAR. Squadron aircraft are regularly exchanged between various units. USMC & USN are frequently exchanged between squadrons-especially those squadrons that are going to the boat. I know the early models of the 60's almost always had the Corrogard metallic paint on the leading edge surfaces. Common practice of the day. HTH.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny
7 minutes ago, Gunny said:

I know the early models of the 60's almost always had the Corrugated metallic paint on the leading edge surfaces

That's Corrogard, of course; your spell-checker may have let you down there.  Corrugated paint is what I get cos I use a brush.

7 minutes ago, pigsty said:

That's Corrogard, of course; your spell-checker may have let you down there.  Corrugated paint is what I get cos I use a brush.

Duly noted.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns