Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 'Delta Airlines'

Afternoon all,

Here is the Mach 2 1/72nd DC-8-50 that rolled off the production line this very afternoon. Released at the end of last year, I was really keen to get my hands on one of these kits as I love the DC-8 and this is the first injection-moulded kit in 1/72nd scale of an important piece of civil aviation history. 

Unfortunately Mach 2 kits don't come with the best reputation, but I'd never built one before so threw caution to the wind. I'm used to dealing with 'difficult' kits and I'm pleased to say this one didn't pose too many problems at all - it is just like you'd expect from a short-run injection moulded kit. I thought it might be useful for fellow builders to have a quick summary of my findings below:

Cons:

• Typical short-run kit with no locating tabs and plenty of flash on the smaller parts;
  • I found that the right stabiliser was 3mm too high on the starboard side and needed lowering - a quick an easy fix;
  • The engine pylons were too deep on my example and the inboard engines almost touched the ground - 3mm was removed from each pylon and now the nacelles sit at the correct  height;
  • Transparencies needed a lot of work to get them clear;
  • Fit was a bit dodgy in places, and don't expect to build this kit without the use of fillers.

Pros:

• Panel detail appears accurate and well moulded;
  • Shapes seem pretty good to my eye;
  • Nicely detailed landing gear;
  • Overall the build was fairly painless and it went together well;
  • Nicely detailed flightdeck area;
  • Engines are nicely done and look the part once assembled;
  • Plastic is nice and thick and there's no need to additional interior bracing or the like;
  • It's a 1/72nd scale injection-moulded DC-8!

I used Halfords' automotive paints and has a custom set of decals printed by 8A decals to complete the build. All in all I really enjoyed this model and am pleased to finally have a decent DC-8 in my civvie collection.

All the best, 

Tom

DSC_0273

DSC_0217

DSC_0240

DSC_0243

DSC_0250

DSC_0254

DSC_0259

DSC_0260

DSC_0263

DSC_0264