TAMIYA P-38 LIGHTNING F/G 1/48

Hello all,

I am going to delay my Tamiya F4B build until Quinta Studio releases the 3D set. It would be injustice to build the plane without this set. In the mean time I will build the Tamiya P-38 and since I have never built a twin, this wil be interesting. Dai 

p-38.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello all,

I started building this morning. What a marvel piece of engineering. Everything has such tight tolerance that often mates without any seams. The Quinta Studio cockpit kit should arrive today. This kit I expect to come together quickly because every piece just falls into place without carving, trimming, filing, sanding... Will post some photos soon. Dai 

I will be thrilled to watch your build!  I've already built "Miss Virginia" from this kit, and have another Tamiya P-38F/G kit, AND the P-38H kit.  I am a P-38 fanatic!  I can only hope that Tamiya puts out a P-38J/L so can do Richard Bong's bare metal "Marge" and many others!  PLEASE!!!!!!  I should probably get a few more F/Gs for the stash, just like I have a bunch of Eduard Tempest Mk. Vs since I love them so!  But again, having built my first '38, I'll be fascinated to see how you build, and mostly paint/weather yours!  Best of luck!

Greetings...

The Quinta Studio 3D cockpit kit has arrived. The big difference this kit makes is the instrument panel. Other things due to their small sizes do not offer much advantage over the PE counterpart. So far everything fits like a dream. Dai

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Dai, the Quinta instrument panel looks great!  I used the Eduard painted photo etch for my P-38 build, primarily because Quinta didn't have P-38 sets yet.  I will be using Quinta going forward, though!

Edited by Curt B

You won't need any filler for this . . . I had this as a present last Christmas, and finished it in March, and have to say it's the best fitting kit I've ever built

, so enjoy !

DSC01028.jpg

Edited by hooter
2 hours ago, hooter said:

You won't need any filler for this . . . I had this as a present last Christmas, and finished it in March, and have to say it's the best fitting kit I've ever built

, so enjoy !

DSC01028.jpg

Love it ! I hope mine will turn out well like yours ! Dai 

6 hours ago, dai phan said:

Love it ! I hope mine will turn out well like yours ! Dai 

Well, your model is looking good so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing it when finished. I love Tamiya kits, as they are such a joy to build.  🙂.

4 hours ago, hooter said:

Well, your model is looking good so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing it when finished. I love Tamiya kits, as they are such a joy to build.  🙂.

Yes, they are truly works of art. Japanese technology is well known for quality. Much respect to them. Dai 

Hello friends...

Today I applied the main OD color. Lots of touch ups with the airbrush to get a neat finish. The parts fit so well that the gears, gear doors, wheels, fuel tanks, props are all press fit! Dai

IMG_8423.jpg

IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

Edited by dai phan