TAMIYA P-38 LIGHTNING F/G 1/48

Looking good, dai phan. Those Fundekal sheets are superb, although I used Xtradecals for my P - 38., I did use Fundekals for my F -102A Delta Dagger, and they went on no problem at all. I think they must be one of the best researched sheets, and they're worth it just for the instruction sheets alone.😀

Howdy modelers...

Applied the gloss coat. I use the excellent Intermediate Gauzy Agent that gives a very tough and nice shine. It does not affect the NMF and in fact makes it stands out more! I use the Eduard P-38 Super Charger (much more detailed) and I had to do some sanding to get the back portion to fit. The forward portion I did not use because it is oversized. Dai 

239041941_4252434381513486_1171769377618054209_n.jpg

238940610_4252434484846809_914957613078691876_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone...

Started to decal last night. The decal is by Exito and it is very good. Thin but tough. Solvaset has no effect because the decal snugs down so well already that there is nothing else for the solution to do. I notice an error in the kit while trying to make everything symmetrical. That is the air intake on the right boom has a more forward tilt than the left side. I wondered why the right and left decals do not appear to be symmetrical and that is when I found out. Tonight will be the application of the stencils. Dai 

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/exito/ed48009.htm

238775582_4255485421208382_394877502151322125_n.jpg

238326967_4255485707875020_2888588199223969288_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone...

Ready to apply the gloss coat pior to wash and weathering. I applied only a few stencils as they tend to be out of scale. In real life the stencils are hardly seen if standing 30 feet away. Dai 

IMG_8511.jpg

IMG_8514.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings everyone...

Start to focus on bringing out the panel lines tonight. My weathering skill is abysmal at best so I will keep the airframe midly weathered. I use Tamiya panel liner, Vallejo and Flory Model washes. Once this is done will start with paint chipping. Dai 

IMG_8610.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Yo all...

The antenna is installed. Next will be the clamp shell canopy installation. For a life of me I cannot get the seat head rest not to interfere with the rear canopy unless I do some trimming to get it to sit lower. Unheard in this Tamiya kit but I could not see where I went wrong. Regardless the trimming is undetectable because it is way underneath the seat. I am going to see if I can buy a small diameter tube (.5mm) for the antenna routing as it exits out of the rear canopy. Dai

IMG_8652.jpg

Edited by dai phan

My Tamiya P38G is finished. As usual here are my takes...

PROS:

1. The best P38 in 1/48 scale. 

2. Excellent fit of parts. In fact the tolerance is so tight that I had to look for the seams so I can apply the cement.

3. Excellent enginnering. Parts fall together on the panel lines.

4. Very detailed cockpit and wheel bays. 

CONS:

1. Decal seat belts. For this level of a kit, offering decal seat belts is rather comical. 

2. Small sink marks noted on the right rudder and left wing tip.

3. Decals to simulate the holes on the machine guns. Laughable at best so the guns are best replaced with after market offerings. 

4. The right outside air intake has a slighty more forward tilt than the left. Unless I am wrong they should be the same.

5. Propeller assembly could be better. No need for multiple parts that makes painting more difficult. 

Overall an enjoyable project. No hair pulling, cussing, heavy drinking like my previous Roden T28 project. I like the kit so much that I bought the limited P38H edition. If you think about getting into this hobby, buy this kit because this is what modelling is all about. Dai 

IMG_8667.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg

IMG_8671.jpg

Edited by dai phan
3 hours ago, BuNo02100 said:

Looks good, I have one in the stash and made some notes on what you encountered so I will be on the look out for the same.  Thanks for posting

There are things you need to watch out for. The 2 side window panels (with NO STEP decals) should be left unpainted of the bottom half. When installed on the plane, the clear lower half should be seen. I made the mistake of painting the whole thing and installed all the way down rather than half way. Pay attention to the radio gear assembly so the headrest does not interfere with complete seating of the rear canopy. I had to do some trimings to lower the head rest.  With such well engineered kit, I am sure something I did wrong. The tolerance of the parts are so tight that the seams (panel lines) can disappear on you. Use extra thin cement very sparingly or the panel lines will be lost. Replacing the kit guns is a must. Dai 

An interesting note would be the offering by Hobby Boss P-38L in 1/48 scale. There is not much information on the Net despite many on the Academy and Hasegawa's releases. Even the old Monogram has more attention. I think that is due to many errors HB kit suffers and modellers shy from it. Tamiya realizes the shortcomings of what are available then hits on the nail with this offering. In my 48 years of modeling, this Tamiya P-38 is the most well engineered kit I have ever built. Dai 

Greetings everyone...

Did some additional work before going to the display case. The tolerance of the gun bays is so tight that the seams (panel lines) dissapeared under a coat of paint. I hate rescribing because one mistake you have to fill, sand, prime and paint again. I found an alternative which can provide a decent outcome short of rescribing. I mark the panel lines with scribing tape then use smallest ink pen to draw the lines. Then with a cotton bud sparingly dipped in acrylic thinner, I went over the lines to soften them as well as giving a "post shading" look. Then again mask the lines again and with a very small brush I placed some paint chips. After the tape is removed you have the paint chips along the straight edge to give an impression the chips are along the panel lines. Seal everything with a flat clear coat. The result is not as perfect as rescribing but an acceptable alternative in my view.  The result looks much better on the model than in the photo posted here.  Unless I tell you, you would pass the ink pen panel lines as a recessed one. Dai 

IMG_8696.jpg

Edited by dai phan
1 hour ago, dai phan said:

Greetings everyone...

Did some additional work before going to the display case. The tolerance of the gun bays is so tight that the seams (panel lines) dissapeared under a coat of paint. I hate rescribing because one mistake you have to fill, sand, prime and paint again. I found an alternative which can provide a decent outcome short of rescribing. I mark the panel lines with scribing tape then use smallest ink pen to draw the lines. Then with a cotton bud sparingly dipped in acrylic thinner, I went over the lines to soften them as well as giving a "post shading" look. Then again mask the lines again and with a very small brush I placed some paint chips. After the tape is removed you have the paint chips along the straight edge to give an impression the chips are along the panel lines. Seal everything with a flat clear coat. The result is not as perfect as rescribing but an acceptable alternative in my view.  The result looks much better on the model than in the photo posted here.  Unless I tell you, you would pass the ink pen panel lines as a recessed one. Dai 

IMG_8696.jpg

Agreed. I would never have been able to tell those are not recessed panel lines. I thoroughly enjoyed your build. Picked up a couple of extra techniques as well.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share such a detailed build with the techniques! She deserves a special place in your display case!  

• 5 weeks later...