I have to say it...one of my pet peeves is when people say "Here's my latest build.  Its out-of-box...except for the whatever part I added."  Dude, it either OOB or it isn't!  If the part didn't come with the kit in the box then its not OOB!

I can't tell you all how many times I've restrained myself from saying that on Display threads.

Sorry...had to say it.😜

Yup....this is true.  Of course scratchbuilt detailing using the surplus spue that the kit parts are attached to is still considered out of the box IIRC. 

Some people do consider using aftermarket decals as still being built OOTB.

I have heard of aftermarket decals still being OOTB.  I believe the rationale is that older kits may have shot decals.  But, I wonder how the new 3D cockpit decals from Quinta Studio and others will be seen.

I’ve never of scratchbuilt parts being OK as long as they are made from leftover sprues from the kit.

19 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I have heard of aftermarket decals still being OOTB.  I believe the rationale is that older kits may have shot decals.  But, I wonder how the new 3D cockpit decals from Quinta Studio and others will be seen.

I’ve never of scratchbuilt parts being OK as long as they are made from leftover sprues from the kit.

Interesting point! I just in my head said “not OOB”. But they are technically decals and IPMS rules have allowed those in OOB. Still, I think in spirit it’s not. 

IPMS OOTB rules generally allow seat harnesses, aerials and alternative markings (not just commerically available aftermarket decals) to be added. However, they can vary a bit from country to country so there isn't a universal international standard of what OOTB means.

For those of us who don't give a rat's derrierre about contests and IPMS rules, "OOB except..." is a convenient, easy to understand way of communicating what went into a model, when one is referring to small enhancements like use of a resin seat or wheels, or adding weapons to a Hasegawa jet.  When one starts going it a list of upgrades or changes that require moderate to major surgery (full resin cockpits or wheel wells, etc.), not so much.  So I, for one, will continue to use that description as it is an apt description for most of what I build.  

Edited by Joe Hegedus

To me, OOTB is defined as exactly how it was supplied and intended to be built according to the manufacturer's instructions - as soon as anything is added or altered, it no longer fits that criteria...

2 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

<...> "OOB except..." is a convenient, easy to understand way of communicating what went into a model, when one is referring to small enhancements like use of a resin seat or wheels, or adding weapons to a Hasegawa jet.  <...>

Precisely! :thumbsup:

"This my 1/72 ICM MiG-25RBF Foxbat. It's OOB except for the pilot figure (Zvezda) and the pitot tube (Master)."

That's the shortest yet complete and unambiguous run-down of what went into the build. It is evident where the decals and exhausts came from. 

You have one piece of information (OOB) and you modify/qualify it with additional info (pilot, pitot) as needed. Since the additional info sorta goes against the initial info, it is introduced with a modifier (except). I mean, that... is how language works.

"Here's my Angolan MiG-21MF Fishbed. It's an Eduard ProfiPack boxing built OOB except for the pilot figure and the UB-16 rocket launchers (Eduard Brassin). I did sharpen the intake lip and jet pipe fairing, and drill out some air intakes and the gun casing."

Can you make it any shorter without giving up info? It's obvious that the cockpit came this way with the kit. The PE pitot vanes? OOB. The kit does come with plastic UB-16 launchers, but the resin pieces have sharper detail. The air intake? Modified with some sanding, but not an aftermarket piece. Basically, if it isn't in the list, it's as supplied out of box. Aux air intakes? Modified. As per list. Pylons? OOB, as stated.

5 hours ago, andyf117 said:

To me, OOTB is defined as exactly how it was supplied and intended to be built according to the manufacturer's instructions - as soon as anything is added or altered, it no longer fits that criteria...

Years ago, I entered an MQ-1 predator in a contest and described it as OOB; I added ballast and a probe made from stretched sprue, both of them aren't part of the kit but are described in the instructions, yes the only time I've seen instructions on how to make stretched sprue. I feel a little uncomfortable ever since.

On a more mundane Pet peeve, when I see a panel line that ends midway with no reason.

43 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

Yep, this is my A-7 Corsair build that is out of the box. And the Zacto correction is out of the box too.  :rofl:

6hNXkS.jpg

First off. WOW! that's beautiful sir! 

And yeah, I tried to build a model in the box and it didn't go well at all. 🤣

23 hours ago, niart17 said:

First off. WOW! that's beautiful sir! 

And yeah, I tried to build a model in the box and it didn't go well at all. 🤣

You are supposed to build "out of the box" not in the box.  😁

Geoff M

One of mine that happens fairly often on another site. You open a thread and the poster goes into great detail about how he/she got started into the hobby. Gives a complete history of said subject, why they chose the subject, their inspirations on what led them to choose the kit, their childhood fantasies,ect. After about five paragraphs, they finally get to describing the build. Then, they go into great detail about the markings, any aftermarket, what they did to make the aftermarket bits fit, ect. Another two paragraphs later, you finally see the pictures of the build. Usually, I just skip all of it. Unless it's a subject I am very interested in, then I'll read the part about the build itself.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:56 PM, GreyGhost said:

Paint and glue generally isn't included so ... If ya use them is it still OOTB ? :dontknow:

-Gregg

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ive not seen many kits that include paint and glue in the box.

Over the years there have been various 'starter sets', which have included glue, paints and a brush...

....but this is easily the most comprehensive that I've ever seen - complete with knife, spray can of matt varnish, and even a gridded plastic sheet to work on:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/testors-4076-b-2-stealth-bomber-kit--138145

Edited by andyf117
11 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Over the years there have been various 'starter sets', which have included glue, paints and a brush...

....but this is easily the most comprehensive that I've ever seen - complete with knife, spray can of matt varnish, and even a gridded plastic sheet to work on:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/testors-4076-b-2-stealth-bomber-kit--138145

Ai Ive seen a few, made a couple too.

My point was there are not many kits we make where we only use what comes in the box to put it together.

To me built OOB means just that, built using only the contents of the box, excluding glue, knife, paints etc. If you add decals then its no longer built OOB because the decals were added. I dont care what the IPMS rules state, they were not in the box.

Ive no problem with OOB with decals added, its not built OOB if they are added. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 3:55 PM, caudleryan said:

One of mine that happens fairly often on another site. You open a thread and the poster goes into great detail about how he/she got started into the hobby. Gives a complete history of said subject, why they chose the subject, their inspirations on what led them to choose the kit, their childhood fantasies,ect. After about five paragraphs, they finally get to describing the build. Then, they go into great detail about the markings, any aftermarket, what they did to make the aftermarket bits fit, ect. Another two paragraphs later, you finally see the pictures of the build. Usually, I just skip all of it. Unless it's a subject I am very interested in, then I'll read the part about the build itself.

This sounds like every recipe I've ever found on the internet!

On 7/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, caudleryan said:

In the same general theme, all that you wrote, the after market pictures, and the rationale for the build yada yada, then the pictures... of the cockpit... 100 pictures of the cockpit...and then it dies no more updates.🤪

Mine is 'I hope you like it'..... really doesn't matter what I think...... it's what you think of your own build. 

Not all of our skills are the same.

Cheers

Emil