More Upcoming USMC 1/48 F-4B Phantom Vietnam Decals

With the release of the super Tamiya F-4B kit, there will now be a "Spooks from the Beach" part 2 sheet from AOA decals covering even more USMC Phantoms in Vietnam. The earlier sheet (also included F-4Js) will also be reissued with some minor updates/tweaks for the Tamiya F-4 kit (primarily the data sheet).

48-014R - Spooks from the Beach (1) - USMC F-4B/F-4J Phantoms in the Vietnam War (updated)

Part 1 covers F-4Bs and F-4Js of VMFA-115, -314, -323; and VMFA-212, -232, -334 respectively.

48-018 - Spooks from the Beach (2) - USMC F-4B Phantoms in the Vietnam War

Part 2 covers only F-4Bs of VMFA-122, -531, and -542. This includes unique DC tailcodes with their oddball slants/chamfers as well as multiple variations of the 542 tiger head.

Planned release in Sept/Oct. 

(edit Oct 15) - both sheets are now in stock and available to order www.aoadecals.com

COVER-48014R.jpg

COVER-48018.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos
sheets available now
On 7/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, 11bee said:

Looks good.   Any interest in doing some later N's and S's?  Always had a thing for late cold-war F-4's. 

Probably not. With so much time it takes me and this being a hobby in my spare time, my primary interest were for these Vietnam ones specifically and getting to VMFA-122 and -542 were the two final ones I wanted to cover. Plus with so many others covering F-4s, there's already redundancy and I wouldn't be able to keep ahead so I'm moving off F-4s. (Unless Tamiya does the F-4J, then I may get back around to VF-143 in 1/48)

On 7/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, ziggyfoos said:

With the release of the super Tamiya F-4B kit, there will now be a "Spooks from the Beach" part 2 sheet from AOA decals covering even more USMC Phantoms in Vietnam. The earlier sheet (also included F-4Js) will also be reissued with some minor updates/tweaks for the Tamiya F-4 kit (primarily the data sheet).

48-014R - Spooks from the Beach (1) - USMC F-4B/F-4J Phantoms in the Vietnam War (updated)

Part 1 covers F-4Bs and F-4Js of VMFA-115, -314, -323; and VMFA-212, -232, -334 respectively.

48-018 - Spooks from the Beach (2) - USMC F-4B Phantoms in the Vietnam War

Part 2 covers only F-4Bs of VMFA-122, -531, and -542. This includes unique DC tailcodes with their oddball slants/chamfers as well as multiple variations of the 542 tiger head.

Planned release in Sept/Oct. More info and larger images at aoadecals.com

COVER-48014R.jpg

COVER-48018.jpg

I've seen airframes with some of those markings in Chu Lai. Probably Da Nang as well. 

gary

8 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Probably not. With so much time it takes me and this being a hobby in my spare time, my primary interest were for these Vietnam ones specifically and getting to VMFA-122 and -542 were the two final ones I wanted to cover. Plus with so many others covering F-4s, there's already redundancy and I wouldn't be able to keep ahead so I'm moving off F-4s. (Unless Tamiya does the F-4J, then I may get back around to VF-143 in 1/48)

The ones with the rattlesnake were seen often in I-Corp. The blue sword was also seen a lot. Unit numbers are something I don't remember after all those years. Just the MAG numbers, and even then don't remember what they flew. I'm good for at least two sets and probably a third one

gary

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Are these sized for the Academy or Tamiya B-model Phantoms?

Thank you.

-Jeff

Ya as mentioned they're for the new Tamiya B primarily, especially -018 sheet, but majority still  would work with the Academy kit, and plus no Tamiya F-4J (yet?) for the -014R sheet J schemes.

The squadron specific markings aren't really that critical for kit specifics, the stripes are long enough to fit either and the Academy and Tamiya tails are similar as well, I'm assuming the ZM kit is too but I don't have that kit.

Most of the differences for specific kits are some of data markings, like the intake warning/step markings, the data sheet though has both for those since it's a shared sheet between the -014R and -018 and still needed to provide the Academy sizes ones for the J schemes.