GWH F-15 E Converted to F-15 EX

8 hours ago, mungo1974 said:

Go the full missile truck idea Boeing sold to the Air Force.

9f97309c26d65b8ab22e254e0e6412f85984c487

Add Wing Stations 1/9 for another four AIM-120,so 2x AIM-9X,18X Slammers maybe a Legion Pod on the centreline. 

End result one bad Eagle.

YES! That's the ticket!

On 9/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, ORANGF15Guy said:

Some progress made on the EX!  The pit is in and finally close up!  I decided to use a pair of Aries resin seats to replace the kit seats, because the GWH seats are, in my opinion are over sized.  Because the Aries seats don’t have belts, I chose to use 3D printed belts from a Quinta set for the F-15, that way I was able to make sure that the belt placements were not the same front to back.  One other thing I tackled were the rear slime light placement.  On the EX they are different than the E.  I used automotive tape for the frames after measuring the lights that are in the Caracal EX decal set.  EDIT:

made a mistake on the ACES II ejection seats.  I modeled them with the pitots in a fixed position, and after some research, the EX jets use the newer folding pitots, so those have been removed!

4C2E3E7B-3EB9-4A34-BB1C-84E8FF926766.jpeg

Do you have a source for the automotive tape? That looks like something I should have available for builds. 

On 10/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, ORANGF15Guy said:

After priming I realized that some of the raised rivet detail was sanded on the MAWS booms, so pulled out some Archer transfers and fixed the problem.  I also noticed that I did the same thing on the Phase Hanger drop tanks, so fixed that as well!

BF250D77-90C7-4395-B87C-B63D509024E3.jpeg

Sorry for the large number of replies. Can you tell me which Archer rivets you used? Woody has so many different sizes and sets that I would be guessing and wasting cash. TIA

5 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Do you have a source for the automotive tape? That looks like something I should have available for builds. 

Hey Matt,

the automotive tape that I use is from 3M You can buy it in different colors and I’ve used it for intake covers as well!

5 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Sorry for the large number of replies. Can you tell me which Archer rivets you used? Woody has so many different sizes and sets that I would be guessing and wasting cash. TIA

Hey Matt, 

Here are the ones that I used.  Started off purchasing 1/48 scale rivets but the 1/72 scale sheet Worked perfect for staving with the rivets that were on the tail booms

5D8FDC26-1021-4CD6-98F7-788E7FF12778.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

The resin parts are designed to match the profile quite closely: I would (and will when I get to start my F-15SA!) use the Tamiya putty + nail remover with a Q-tip technique to blend the two, not sanding. @ORANGF15Guy: what went wrong to make you add rivets? I'm genuinely interested to improve the parts profile if required.

In any case they are 0.2mm in diameter, 0.7mm spacing on the resin parts  @Mr Matt Foley😉

Arnaud

5 hours ago, arnobiz said:

The resin parts are designed to match the profile quite closely: I would (and will when I get to start my F-15SA!) use the Tamiya putty + nail remover with a Q-tip technique to blend the two, not sanding. @ORANGF15Guy: what went wrong to make you add rivets? I'm genuinely interested to improve the parts profile if required.

In any case they are 0.2mm in diameter, 0.7mm spacing on the resin parts  @Mr Matt Foley😉

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud, regarding your use of nail polish remover, most removers are made with acetone which can be nasty on plastic. Does the remover you're using have acetone or is it something "green" (environmentally safe)?

8 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

First let me state up front that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your parts!  They are excellent…….it was totally my fault for not protecting the surface detail while I made them fit.  and the only way I could replace the detail was to add the rivets back to the tail booms

7 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Hi Arnaud, regarding your use of nail polish remover, most removers are made with acetone which can be nasty on plastic. Does the remover you're using have acetone or is it something "green" (environmentally safe)?

Nail polish remover, at least in Europe, is heavily diluted acetone - I've used it for wingroot seam smoothing for years without any adverse effect, on Tamiya white putty. US equivalents may be less diluted but I've read about this technique multiple time from US modellers - maybe worth giving it a try on a mule, it works great to save details around puttied areas 🙂

8 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Nail polish remover, at least in Europe, is heavily diluted acetone - I've used it for wingroot seam smoothing for years without any adverse effect, on Tamiya white putty. US equivalents may be less diluted but I've read about this technique multiple time from US modellers - maybe worth giving it a try on a mule, it works great to save details around puttied areas 🙂

Sounds good. I have seen some using Lacquer thinner as well, but will give this a shot. 

17 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Sounds good. I have seen some using Lacquer thinner as well, but will give this a shot. 

My attempts with DIY lacquer thinner totally ruined the plastic surface, Mr Levelling Thinner is gentler though 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on the F-15EX…..I started to look at the chaff and flair dispensers on the jet and noticed that the ones forward of the MLG doors have covers on them and the ones located on the MAWS booms that are in the BAM conversion are not, so I fashioned some covers for the tail boom dispensers and I think it looks more uniform.  I also started on the GE nozzles.  Thanks for looking,

30F5448D-F1CC-47AA-9BA2-99F432CD1E26.jpeg

821D2351-CD60-467B-B7AB-5E6BDA84574F.jpeg

118D2B6C-E2B1-49D2-AD32-41459BC0B843.jpeg

Edited by ORANGF15Guy
  • 4 weeks later...

Small update on the EX……after looking through the pictures of the real EX I noticed that the Horizontal Stabs have raised rivet detail on the inner leading edge.  So I chose to use Archer Rivet Decals to show that detail.  I also started on the canopy.  I used PE for the canopy closure hooks and it certainly looks the part now.  That’s it for now.  Waiting for some warmer weather so I can start laying down some paint. 
Thanks for looking 

Brad

EAEE2FC3-F22E-4956-BA01-78AB12C2635B.jpeg

09E1B1B5-0D71-4D99-A61B-B9D846C49BD0.jpeg

484BD41F-AB46-49C9-A3DD-3383D559462A.jpeg

4F812E2A-C15B-4126-9187-181FDB0F1F5D.jpeg

D65DC297-5C53-418A-8C18-DB85E988A54F.jpeg

E17AF811-EDF9-411E-A7DA-0930A4C31983.jpeg

Edited by ORANGF15Guy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a small update on the EX……..model is all glossed up and ready to decal………and speaking of decals, I’ll be using the excellent sheet for the EX from Caracal, but I’m going to go a step farther……after 001 made it to Elgin, they added full color Air Force Material Command shields to the vertical stabs.  I sourced these shields from another Caracal sheet.  I then found the Eagle’s Head frame where the crew names are on the nose of the aircraft on the “Bullseye Emerald Coast Eagles” sheet.  I will have to replace the crews names and was able to find them on some images on the internet and produced decals for them.  Elgin also placed color shields for the wing and unit on the forward part of the CFT’s and I was able to produce them as well.
I’ll post pictures as soon as I get all the stickers on her!
That’s it for now, thanks for looking.
Brad.

EA9DE3B4-0D3A-4180-8FEB-B57A6153D32D.jpeg

C46FCF70-F939-47EB-A8D6-F7052D23B5D8.jpeg

C9C0AF1F-D28B-4EB3-9FA1-3E6989D69A27.jpeg

2A2619E7-59B8-46D3-B4E5-D6DC5B0F6517.jpeg

EF267B22-F4AE-4AFB-9599-BA06DBA0FE94.jpeg

9BD7851A-B6C5-4F8D-8A5E-7ED44B35641C.jpeg

64E76A0A-52C6-4803-A9AC-8A4AEF0C1FEB.jpeg