Tamiya 1/48 F-4C/D

Here's some  fun speculation about future Tamiya 1/48 Phantoms, such as the F-4C/D:

The Marking Stickers Sheet in the Tamiya F-4B kit has extra masks as shown below. The two "n" masks are the size of the F-4C/D Landing and Taxi lights, while the insets on rear canopy parts  "o" and "p" are where outside rear view mirrors would mount.

615021974_PossibleCmodel.thumb.jpg.3f2142fc6d3f1c768348054f59729518.jpg

F-4C with mirrors.jpg

Gene K

That's what I'm waiting for 🙂 Still have sufficient stock of Academy F-4's to last until the Tamiya F-4C/D comes out. Wife will probably kill me for yet another kit, but hell - you only live once 😁

Doesn't mean the C/D kits will ever happen.  Tamiya included a lot of parts in their 1/32nd scale Mosquito FB.VI kit that weren't needed but were specific to the bomber version.  That was many years ago, still no sign that we'll ever see the B.IV kit.

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Despite that fact, they made F-14A, then D, now we are waiting for F-14A late, coming soon. There are chances for F-4C in nearest future, I believe.

And yet Tamiya still hasn’t released a -B version, which is probably more popular than the -D, and right up there with the -A.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

And yet Tamiya still hasn’t released a -B version, which is probably more popular than the -D, and right up there with the -A.

I’m almost done with my B, converted from a Tamiya D. As soon as I get done, they should be announcing a B kit. Sorry it’s taking me so long. 😀

2 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

I’m almost done with my B, converted from a Tamiya D. As soon as I get done, they should be announcing a B kit. Sorry it’s taking me so long. 😀

Get moving on completing the kit please, the rest of us wants the F-14B to be released 🤣

If Tamiya does a C/D Phantom it is a pretty easy jump to a J. The C/D had the thick wing. Add the wing and a new sprue for the longer burner cans and you are pretty much there. Maybe some cockpit bits too. 

10 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

And yet Tamiya still hasn’t released a -B version

Who knows, that F-14A 'late' means that Tamiya for the first time listened the need of modelmakers, so maybe B will be released soon.

20 hours ago, Solo said:

Who knows, that F-14A 'late' means that Tamiya for the first time listened the need of modelmakers, so maybe B will be released soon.

Really if they are doing the late A I think all they would have to add is the GE engine part to it and BAM you have a B

To speculate further on possible Tamiya Phantom plans following the F-4B:

Since the consensus appears to be that Tamiya is slow (or unlikely) to produce multiple versions of any aircraft, if I were Mr Tamiya, I would go all out and issue only one more Phantom kit ... while conceding the other models to ZM. That model would be the RF-4E since that was a Japanese mainstay for 45 years.

A major (!!) reengineering of the Tamiya F-4B, or more likely, a complete new kit would be required. Since I don't really foresee a recce bird as a Tamiya possibility, I'm hoping for a Hyperscale conversion kit for the ZM Late Model F-4E ... or their F-4C. An up-to-date Recce Phantom is needed!

Gene K

A really good, modern recce Phantom kit sorely needed, either as  a whole kit - or a conversion set.

It'll be a long, long time before either Tamiya or ZM get around to the job, if ever, so the market for a high quality conversion from someone like Hypersonic is wide open.

I can tell you of several Tamiya kits in which parts point to a next version that never showed up. We have seen several times on this forum people talking about F-16D in both 48th and 32nd scale which was never released. Challenger kit in 1/35 has parts in the kit which point to a future NATO version. That too was never released. 

But no one can stop you from dreaming. So dream on 🙂

• 1 year later...

I was so excited about the prospects of a 1/48 Tamiya F-4C/D, but we're coming up on two years. I don't recall reading any info out there that this might be in the works. So, I'm pretty much giving up on any hope. I'll probably go with the Z/M F-4D... Funny enough, when the Tamiya B first came out, I sold my still unwrapped ZM-D, thinking Tamiya will do what they did with their Tomcats; put out a few variants in quick succession. 

Just so that one can still dream: Has there been a case where Tamiya came out with a kit, with clear provisions for other variants, only to put out those other variant(s) years later? 

I am only aware of their 1/48 F-16 and F-14 kits. In both cases, subsequent versions did not take too long (even though the first and last in the series may be several years apart).  

Any Tamiya examples in the props, armor, auto we can latch on to?

Seems like, as of late, the F-14 was the only one they went further with. A & D, skipping the B. 
Tamiya is an odd company that doesn't follow any logic that we can understand, as builders. Advancing the F-16 to include a two-seat D would make huge sense to us. But maybe to them, they didn't see the money return. I hope this isnt the same for the F-4B. Heck, I still need to buy one. 

-Jeff