Tamiya 1/48 F-4C/D

17 minutes ago, JackMan said:

It's going to be hard to beat the Hasegawa RF-4s. They're pretty good actually. 

If you can find one, without selling an organ, limb or child to finance it. 

20 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

If you can find one, without selling an organ, limb or child to finance it. 

The regular Japanese RF-4Es don't seem too bad (albeit you may need aftermarket decals for non-Japanese versions):

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10034170

Not really an expert but I think there are extra parts for other versions (eg fin-tips, pylons):

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10034170

Though I agree the thin winged ones might be harder to get your hands on.

Trying to predict what Tamiya will do next is sort of like trying to prepare for rain tomorrow. The weather report may say one thing but mother nature is fond of curveballs.

I think they'll get around to the thick-winged short nose Phantoms. Even though F-35's bore me to tears they're money-makers. I can understand why Tamiya took a detour to get those out the door before they release any further Phantoms.

BTW, I remember Zoukei Mura announced that they are planning to do Recon Phantoms in the near future.

1 hour ago, JackMan said:

It's going to be hard to beat the Hasegawa RF-4s. They're pretty good actually. 

If the comparison standard is that they exist and there is no competition, then yes they are pretty good.  But the Hasegawa kits have a number of shortcomings from the general age of the kits, like some of the old common sprues having raised panel lines, like on the pylons and tanks, poor weapons, lack of sidewall detail, plus the hollowed out area of the fuselage behind the intakes being very visible in the rear cockpit.  The newer parts they add, like the RF noses are nice, but there are other parts of the kits that are 40+ years old, and it shows.  Z-M, Meng, and Tamiya blow the Hasegawa kits out of the water, and if they ever do RFs (honestly the only one I could see doing any is Z-M) people would be ditching the Hasegawa kits like crazy.

Edited by Dave Williams

Hasegawa recce Phantoms have fighter Phantom lower wings.  They give you inserts to fill the Sparrow wells that don’t fit at all.   I’d hardly say they’re hard to beat.  That’s a massive inaccuracy, and a cop out by Hasegawa.  Even with ZM’s problems, theirs will be light years ahead of Hasegawa’s.

Edited by Lusitanian

As this is a Tamiya F-4 topic, references to the Hasegawa series is a bit out of place. 
But the easiest and most available RF-4 is Hasegawa's RF-4B, which effectively is the same kit as the RF-4C, but more available and better priced. Contains everything but the decals to make an RF-4C. For RF-4E, you can do an early without the extended slats. Mix parts with an F-4E and you can make late type with extended slats. 

Now back on topic.... 

24 minutes ago, Niels said:

Now back on topic.... 

Although it bothers you (for whatever technical/moral reason), I certainly appreciate your "going off topic" since you always add valuable info to any subject!

Thanks.

Gene K

Tamiya F-4B kit has an additional tailplane in the kit. It also has a square clear part which looks like front landing light. I m no Phantom expert but those parts point to at least 2 future releases of F-4J and F-4C kits. Its cockpit tub is also molded in a way to accommodate future releases. 

I can point to past Tamiya kits in which parts breakdown foretells new kit versions. F-16 upper fuselage pieces, photo etch parts with 2 sets of seatbelts predict F-16D. Their Desert Challenger has all parts for a NATO Challenger kit. In both of these instances, we never saw any future kit despite parts breakdown. 

So there is no guarantee the possibility we see in F-4B kit will translate into reality in future.  

Edited by stalal

Tamiya’s F-4B kit has, as noted, both slotted and unslotted stabs.  It also has Navy and AF style seat cushions, and the F-4C/D style landing and taxi light on the clear parts tree.  So this is more than “parts breakdown” - it is *actual* parts only applicable to an F-4C/D.  

I truly don’t believe Tamiya would have bothered tooling both stabs, a separate right forward fuselage (with the Navy-only refueling probe), and the other bits mentioned if they didn’t plan on more than one version.  It would have been a huge waste of resources.

Edited by Lusitanian
On 3/28/2023 at 5:41 AM, Alternative 4 said:

My hopes are on Meng bringing out...  ...the RF Phantoms. Seems more likely.

My hope too. 

I'd rather Tamiya produced a J or hardwing E/EJ, but next year will tell whether we get another variant or if another boxing is just something that in a decade will be a dream in the mists of time.

My other hope is with the 1/32 Red Pills Models venture, which also apparently will kick off with an F-4B. 

My two Tamiya 1/32 F-4C/Ds are enough for the timebeing. 

Tony 

I’m betting here and now you’ll see a C/D. It boils down to a few fuselage panel inserts, fin caps, radome fairings, cockpit, sans seats, CSD/generator, wing and MLG tires. All the B model parts are compatible in 48 scale. They’ve shown us their hand with all the AF parts. For that matter, an N would be a total slam dunk.

Edited by BillS
Addition of a detail

The F-4B kit also has octagonal HUD clear part. This part seems to be suitable for F-4J. On the parts tree for missiles, we see other version of Sparrow as well as a missing quadrant of parts tree which seems to be for other weapons not included in the kit. 

The forensics do predict other versions in future. But it all comes down to what Tamiya has planned. We dont know. As I mentioned in previous post, there are parts in other Tamiya kits which are for other versions but we never saw those other versions even after 16/17 years of original release. 

Another consideration is budgets and meeting sales numbers. It would makes sense to release a C/D on a year when maybe they don't have anything else on deck. I’m sure their marketing and a bean counters know a C/D would not it out of the park revenue wise. Anyway, it’s fun trying to be prescient. 

23 hours ago, BillS said:

Another consideration is budgets and meeting sales numbers. It would makes sense to release a C/D on a year when maybe they don't have anything else on deck. I’m sure their marketing and a bean counters know a C/D would not it out of the park revenue wise. Anyway, it’s fun trying to be prescient. 

I believe many of us will love to have Tamiya F-4C kit. It will definitely sell in huge numbers.

15 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

With decals for Robin olds aircraft the kit would sell like hot cakes.

Great guy, but these markings have been done to death. So many other good marking choices to pic from. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, scorvi said:

I am sorry but you know Tamiya is going to release a new tooled ultimate 1/48  RF-8 Recce Crusader.....

Cuban Missile Crisis markings.....

Steve,

LOL that would be so awesome

2 hours ago, kellyF15 said:

LOL that would be so awesome

Agreed, a new tooled 1/48 Tamiya Crusader (wonder where that info, if it's anything other than a wish, came from), any version, would be tremendous, despite the fact that I just recently bought the presumed best CURRENT Crusader, the 1/48 Hasegawa kit.  

I'm working on building both the Tamiya F-4B and the Zoukei Mura F-4C at the same time, and while I'm quite happy with the ZM F-4C, I would certainly get a Tamiya F-4C, should it become available (thus far, the biggest difference is the fit of the air intake fairings, which is superior on the Tamiya).  The above reference to a Robin Olds F-4C is interesting, since I'm doing my ZM F-4C in the markings of the last one Col. Olds flew, but I'm updating the nose pod to an aftermarket Strike Cam Pod (Hypersonic HMR48048), to match the photos of that aircraft and the details included in the FunDekals 48-032A/B sheets.  Hopefully, if Tamiya DOES do an F-4C, they would include a Strike Cam Pod.

Edited by Curt B
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 12:50 PM, Niels said:

[Col Olds} Great guy, but these markings have been done to death. So many other good marking choices to pic from. 

I kind of like these Cam Rahn Bay 1969 markings:rolleyes::

xZahblT.jpg

Ordnance choices could be tailored to In-Country Close Air Support vice Out-of-Country Air To Air ... napalm, Snakeyes, gun pod, rockets, CBUs, 250, 500, 750 1.000 and 2,000 pounders ... and the list goes on.

Would be "nice" to see these markings (including a 557TFS Spook on the intakes) on a Tamiya F-4C !

Check out this outstanding model for some foreign F-4C markings.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Lets hope Tamiya does a F-4C/D...their track record may not prove out.   Fielders choice on ordnance on these birds.  Depended on the mission loadout for the day.  My dad told me it was like a box of chocalates never know what you are going to drop"  OK I added that for humor!

I am holding on to my Academy F4C/D with all my AM stuff.  I still thinks it the best bet in 1/48.....Until/If Tamiya releases a C/D???
Steve