Zoukie Mura F-4 phantoms

Thoughts on whether a DIY approach will work. I have a ZM F-4D already in the stash. 

I remember seeing somewhere that the amount of plastic that needs to be removed is more than the wall thickness. So, I think there was some styrene plastic glued from the back side IIRC. This could very well be Hypersonic's correction kit. 

I was thinking of roughing up the plastic on the backside with a razor saw and slapping on some 2-part epoxy to give it a well-bonded continuous material thickness. Then sand it down from the outside moving from a pretty coarse grid to fine. I feel like the shape of the fuselage and the gentle curves around that section will be quite forgiving of any left-right asymmetry as well as small shape issues. Heck I am still having a hard time seeing the issue as is right now (though from the correction pics I know the issue). 

The hypersonic correction kit looks awesome but my gut tells me that at least I would have a harder time cutting the kit plastic, fitting the resin replacements in, and blending all the seams cleanly than do what I described above. Anyway, curious if I am missing anything. 

4 hours ago, Janissary said:

Thoughts on whether a DIY approach will work. I have a ZM F-4D already in the stash. 

I remember seeing somewhere that the amount of plastic that needs to be removed is more than the wall thickness. So, I think there was some styrene plastic glued from the back side IIRC. This could very well be Hypersonic's correction kit. 

I was thinking of roughing up the plastic on the backside with a razor saw and slapping on some 2-part epoxy to give it a well-bonded continuous material thickness. Then sand it down from the outside moving from a pretty coarse grid to fine. I feel like the shape of the fuselage and the gentle curves around that section will be quite forgiving of any left-right asymmetry as well as small shape issues. Heck I am still having a hard time seeing the issue as is right now (though from the correction pics I know the issue). 

The hypersonic correction kit looks awesome but my gut tells me that at least I would have a harder time cutting the kit plastic, fitting the resin replacements in, and blending all the seams cleanly than do what I described above. Anyway, curious if I am missing anything. 

The Hypersonic conversion was probably one of the most easy and straight forward resin conversions I've ever done on a scale model. The instructions are very clear and easy to understand. He also included a couple pieces of tape to use as an edge guide for re scribing the parts. Also using this set will probably limit the possibility of accidentally getting an asymmetrical result from thinning the parts yourself. Theres nothing vague or difficult about it.

Edited by joeltc

On the flip side, my heart leapt with joy over the ZM kit. Like a lot of other discriminating modelers, I wouldn't have batted an eye the shape issue had it not been pointed out. The Tamiya B is the best rendition of the F-4 but only just. ZM actually has features Tamiya doesn't. If there is a problem with ZM it’s availability.

3 hours ago, BillS said:

On the flip side, my heart leapt with joy over the ZM kit. Like a lot of other discriminating modelers, I wouldn't have batted an eye the shape issue had it not been pointed out. The Tamiya B is the best rendition of the F-4 but only just. ZM actually has features Tamiya doesn't. If there is a problem with ZM it’s availability.

Well said. 

12 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

More than happy to take a ZM F-4C off someone's hands, they are as rare as overseas travel these days.

I had an email from ZM saying to keep an eye on the website for a restock of early Phantoms. 

Cut from ZM’s reply to my question. 

Thank you very much for contacting Zoukei-Mura.
And thank you for purchasing our SWS F-4D kit.

In regard to our restock of 1/48 F-4D kit, we are planning a variety of restocks as part of celebrating the 10th anniversary of SWS this year.
We will announce more information on our official website as soon as the details are available.
We hope that you will keep an eye out for any announcements, and that you will be able to build the F-4D of your dreams as soon as possible.

Thank you for your continued support of Zoukei-Mura SWS.

I’ll probably pick up a Z-M F-4D when it’s available again, rather than wait for Tamiya.

@F4DPhantom II you can get Hypersonic’s products directly from them from their web site (ships from Japan) or from The 48ers (ships from Cyprus, IIRC). Both are great to order from. I think Victory Models in the US carried some of their products at one time, too.

Ben

On 8/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

A lot of hearts were broken when it was discovered the ZM SWS F-4C/D kit wasnt the uber dream model they thought it was. :[ 

yet 80% of viewers never noticed it. I still have trouble making it out myself, but at least know where it is. Added to this, if anybody can't live with a ZM Phantom; then sell it for what you paid for it! They'll come out of the wood work to buy it

gary

On 8/11/2021 at 12:30 AM, BillS said:

The new Tamiya is certainly the best F-4B out there... and they MAY produce the C, D & J over the next few years... but, until then the ZM is a damn fine kit as is.

I used the Hypersonic kit to correct the rear fuselage error for my J build and it was very straight forward indeed.

K

19 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

yet 80% of viewers never noticed it.

Interesting that you have that "statistic" :whistle: (I'm part of that group).

[quote=BillS] On the flip side, my heart leapt with joy over the ZM kit [/quote]

Amen, Brother!

Gene K