A Missile and Rocket Mess

This began as a simple rebuild of the old Monogram History Makers Missile set, then I got the bright idea to add the missiles from the original Missile Arsenal release and then even more bright ideas to add a few more that were missing. 61 models total. Keeping them all to the odd 1/128th scale. The additions are commissioned CADS and 3D printed. All markings are custom created and printed. Just need to finish the base and get them all on display. What was I thinking.... 

All Models painted-sm.jpg

You sir ... are a Steely-Eyed-Missile-Man!

But let me ask, the 2nd row up, 3rd model in, all Silver, it looks like Von Braun's concept ... is it factual?

I hope you'll show us how it looks in it's final display!

Pete

14 hours ago, X-Plane Fan said:

Keeping them all to the odd 1/128th scale.

While these days unusual for plastic models, the scale itself is not really odd; it is half the size of 1/64 scale, aka 3/16in = 1ft, which is well known in the history of architectural models & in model railways as "S scale".  1/128 scale, aka 3/32inch = 1ft, is also known in both the static display and RC model ship worlds. 

You know what I'd put with this ...

Well, probably not until I tell ya ...

Lindberg's old 1/128 scale B-58 Hustler (which also came in a 1/64 scale kit)

And there is at least 1 ARC post about it,

Edited by southwestforests
48 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

But let me ask, the 2nd row up, 3rd model in, all Silver, it looks like Von Braun's concept ... is it factual?

Before going and playing in Google I'm guessing it is a BOMARC.

--> Nope, BOMARC is white sideways one upper right.

Aha!

There it is, http://www.astronautix.com/n/navahox-10.html

In May 1950 North American began design of an aerodynamic test vehicle for the planned intercontinental version of its Navaho Mach 3 cruise missile. This would be of the same dimensions and aerodynamic shape as the cruise stage of the production missile, but powered by existing turbojets, and capable of takeoff and landing from a runway, allowing reuse. Phase 1 of the revised development program would use this drone to test the aerodynamics, structural concepts, autopilot, and inertial navigation systems in an aluminum structure that could achieve speeds of up to Mach 2. 1.

See also: http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app1/x-10.html

The X-10 flight test program was very successful, and continued through November 1956, when the (significantly less successful) tests of the XSM-64 Navaho began. After the X-10 program was moved from Edwards AFB to Cape Canaveral in 1955, several X-10s were lost in landing accidents, when the vehicle either veered off the landing strip, did not properly extend the prarabrake, or failed to engage the landing barrier. Between September 1958 and January 1959, three surplus X-10s were launched as high-speed, high-altitude target drones, but all these flights ended with the unplanned loss of the vehicle. In the end, of the thirteen X-10s built only a single one survived the whole program.

And for something to occupy your free time, here's a 304 page PDF book, which features Navajo at upper left of cover;

https://media.defense.gov/2017/Apr/07/2001728474/-1/-1/0/B_0006_WERRELL_EVOLUTION_CRUISE_MISSILE.PDF

The Evolution of the Cruise Missile
by
KENNETH P. WERRELL
Air University (AU)
Air University Press
Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
September 1985

Edited by southwestforests
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stunning build.   I was trying to do the same by filling in the voids in the original Monogram release and was kind of poo-pooed because of the scale.   Couldn't find much in the way of 3-D printing via Shapeways so the project is on hold.   I commend you for being able to complete this.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:41 PM, Drifterdon said:

Stunning build.   I was trying to do the same by filling in the voids in the original Monogram release and was kind of poo-pooed because of the scale.   Couldn't find much in the way of 3-D printing via Shapeways so the project is on hold.   I commend you for being able to complete this.

It takes some persistence (and money), but you can make it happen. Many of the missile 3D CAD art files are available on various 3D printing sites for free or very cheap. Those that weren't, I commissioned to have created. The larger ones are printed at home on my FDM 3D printer, but the smaller ones were vended to CraftCloud 3D printing service. The smaller missiles ran about $6 each for printing, shipping is usually $10 or more so I tried grouping as many as possible in one order. I created all the decal art myself and then were printed on an Alps printer. Overall, it took a few months to get all the bits and pieces together, but it sure made for an impressive display.