tube cement for plastic

I'm looking for suggestions as to usable (actually works on styrene) tube glue for plastic models.  And I'm cheap.  And CA is not wanted.  I've got plenty of liquid glue. 

I have a bunch of Duco Cement I bought for lutherie purposes, but I could divert a tube to the hobby bench if it was usable for plastic models.  I usually decant tube glue into a squeeze bottle and get some flow control from the bottle's metal applicator tube.  

Is Duco usable?   I've used Pacer's tube glue in the past but it seems to have vacated the market. 

Suggestions?  

Thanks!

One suggestion would be to look at something along the lines of Revell's Contacta glue. Humbrol do a similar product and others such as Deluxe Materials do so as well. It's a sort of hybrid - less viscous that tube glue but thicker than liquid glues. I always have a bottle of it available on my bench for when liquid glues are unsuitable for a task.

Revell Contacta Pro Modelling Glue 25g - 39604 - £3.99

Its a bit old school 🙂

I dont know Duco cement besides the picture of it I googled.

Humbrol do a poly cement, UHU glue is also useable on plastic models.

Its not really a glue I use much anymore, I moved from it decades ago. I went to Humbrol liquid poly then Revell contacta then Tamiya came out with their line of glues and I use Mr Hobbys version of it when I cant get Tamiya. But if you just aint interested in liquid poly cements then Humbrol or UHU I have a tube of both on hand but never had cause to use either of them.

I've bought a few Airfix 1/72 Starter kit and they come with a small tube of Humbrol cement. It works great. I have used it a few time, applied with a wooden toothpick or straight pin for tight spaces.

Chris

Thanks! I'm entertaining a hope that someone will point me towards a 'tube' glue that has a dispensing probe.  

I'm aware of Testor's.  I used some I got with some after-Christmas clearance paint sets a while ago.  I used it after I used up my tube of Pactra cement I had that I bought 40 years before.  Waste not, want not. 

9 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Why? It's messy, stringy, slow setting. Did I mention messy and stringy?

Not stringy, but it's a bit thinner than the old Testors tube cement that I had been using. It finally solidified a years or so ago, so I opened a Humbrol tube. I wanted something that dried slower than the Tamiya Extra Thin I've been using. I found the Humbrol a bit difficult the control right out of the tube.

Chris

That old school tube glue let off a pretty good stink if I remember correctly. 

Eventually, testors made a lemon scent glue. 

Those tubes bring back good ole memories of building the Revell Hueys and Cobras as a kid!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
On 8/22/2021 at 7:54 PM, peter havriluk said:

Thanks! I'm entertaining a hope that someone will point me towards a 'tube' glue that has a dispensing probe.  

I'm aware of Testor's.  I used some I got with some after-Christmas clearance paint sets a while ago.  I used it after I used up my tube of Pactra cement I had that I bought 40 years before.  Waste not, want not. 

Going by the criteria you have set then I would say you are looking for either

Revell Contacta Tube version

Revell Contacta Poly Cement A Solvent Based Glue For Plastics & Models 13g 39602 42027911 | eBay

Revell Contacta with a needle applicator

REVELL 39604 Contacta Professional Polystyrene Cement. 25gr 42018803 | eBay

The first version is a gel in a tube, the second is a more liquid version of the same because it needs to go through a needle.
Its very hard to get a gel to pass through a needle applicator.

Humbrol also make a version

Humbrol AE4422 - Poly Cement 24ml Tube for Plastic Model Kits - 1st Class Post 5010279350084 | eBay

HUMBROL 20ml Precision Poly Cement for Plastic model kits + needle applicator | eBay

"Poly Cement" is what you are looking for.

I use Contactca myself because I can get it locally, but Humbrol is the same stuff. I use it because it has a longer setting time, which is sometimes preferable even compared to Tamiya white top

Edited by ElectroSoldier