JG-54 Bf-109 G2

20 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

I'm wondering if the spinner was the original RLM 70 and the fuselage was painted with a black or near black. 

In support of that conjecture, the spinner seems to match the prop blades pretty well, and they would presumably have been painted RLM 70. It is a bit puzzling how much darker the fuselage appears by comparison.

Here's some more conjecture supporting black paint: At the time that III/Jg 54 began receiving 109G-2's, July 1942, they were conducting night fighter sorties during the Battle of the Volkhov, in addition to normal day-fighter missions. 

• 6 months later...

RLM 70 was a very dark color that often appears black in b&w photographs. It was called black green for a reason. The propeller looks like it's moving, judgeing by the fuzziness of the blade tips, so the blades might look brighter than they actually were, which would make the spinner painted RLM 23 red or another of the marking colours like RLM 24 blue or RLM 25 green. The fuselage could also be painted RLM 70, but black is definitely an option. 

I think the freshness (or dust?) of the fuselage paint is the culprit, making the fuselage colour look darker than the older (or less dusty?) factory black green spinner: The older spinner colour is probably polished by handling (and air friction!), or faded, and the fuselage very fresh. A fresh matte texture will not reflect ambient light as much compared to a less matte spinner. I feel this might be more prudent than assuming an oddball colour on the spinner. It does indicate a fresh paint job was very matte, somewhat at odds with some depictions.

• 1 month later...