F-4B Jolly Rogers

Hi guys

Did the f-4b had the full black tail fin with the jolly Roger scull? 

Where can I get decals in 1/48?

The ones I've seen say they are for the J version not the B. The B comes with the partial painted black fin

Thanks 

They did not initally have the all black tail for their F-4B cruise. On the way home from Vietnam, they painted the tails all black. These can be identified by the yellow vagabond stripe on the fuselage (as opposed to black), black radome, and the USS Independence markings on the side. VF-84 lost 3 jets on that cruise ('64-'65)

ALSO, according to Don Hanna, who commanded the squadron during their final phantom cruise, when they were switching from F-4Js to F-4Ns, they received a number of F-4Bs as placeholders until enough N models came out of rework, so there were all-black tail F-4Bs for a short while in 1973 also. These will be characterized by their white radome and USS Roosevelt markings.

Edited by Skull Leader
On 8/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, Skull Leader said:

...ALSO, according to Don Hanna, who commanded the squadron during their final phantom cruise, when they were switching from F-4Js to F-4Ns, they received a number of F-4Bs as placeholders until enough N models came out of rework, so there were all-black tail F-4Bs for a short while in 1973 also. These will be characterized by their white radome and USS Roosevelt markings.

That's an interesting note.  Any one have any ideas where I could find BuNo's?  Seems I should be able to use F-4N markings from the 'Dem Bones sheets, but maybe change the BuNo.

2 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

That's an interesting note.  Any one have any ideas where I could find BuNo's?  Seems I should be able to use F-4N markings from the 'Dem Bones sheets, but maybe change the BuNo.

I have a list, but heaven only knows where I put it. Just look at photos from the time, it'll be obvious which ones are bravos and which ones are novembers. There's a pretty popular picture of 4 jolly Roger's phantoms flying in a diamond formation from late 1973. 3 of the jets in formation are bravos and 1 is a November. Easy enough to get bunos off that list. I dont think the Bs had names stenciled on the canopies 

Edited by Skull Leader
On 8/29/2021 at 7:42 AM, agelos2005 said:

Hi guys

Did the f-4b had the full black tail fin with the jolly Roger scull? 

Where can I get decals in 1/48?

The ones I've seen say they are for the J version not the B. The B comes with the partial painted black fin

Thanks 

Furball Aero-Design has a set that includes 2 VF-84 F-4B jets sized for the new Tamiya kit. The set is # 48-076. These are 1965 era jets with both styles of tail markings. It requires the original tail fin without the ECM blisters which is available from Flying Leathernecks.

Cheers,

John 

1 minute ago, agelos2005 said:

Cheers John

I ve seen it but I didn't know what inhad to change on the tamiya kit

The only thing to change is the tail fin tip. The Sidewinder for that time would be the AIM-9B as well.

Cheers,

John

4 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I have a list, but heaven only knows where I put it. Just look at photos from the time, it'll be obvious which ones are bravos and which ones are novembers. There's a pretty popular picture of 4 jolly Roger's phantoms flying in a diamond formation from late 1973. 3 of the jets in formation are bravos and 1 is a November. Easy enough to get bunos off that list. I dont think the Bs had names stenciled on the canopies 

Is there a quick easy way you could share to tell the differences?  I like the looks and history of the F-4, but am very, errr...stupid regarding them.

2 hours ago, CF104 said:

The only thing to change is the tail fin tip. The Sidewinder for that time would be the AIM-9B as well.

Cheers,

John

I believe I had read that they also should have the Mk. 5 seats?  Is that correct?

1 minute ago, ESzczesniak said:

Is there a quick easy way you could share to tell the differences?  I like the looks and history of the F-4, but am very, errr...stupid regarding them.

I believe I had read that they also should have the Mk. 5 seats?  Is that correct?

Ah, yes! Totally forgot about that. It will indeed need the H5 seat. Hypersonic models makes a great seat for early F-4 jets. Here's the link:

Hypersonic Models Martin Baker Mk H5 Phantom Seat

Cheers,

John