Hataka lacquers for Soviet colors?

I’ve used the Hataka Orange line (acrylic lacquers), they have their own thinner but I’ve used Mr Color Levelling Thinner without any problems. I’ve used their RAF, USN, and some of the WWII era VVS colors. Depending on how accurate you want your paints, the Hataka range is at least in the ballpark. IMO the RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green arent quite right but close. For your question, I’ve used the mid-late war Soviet colors on a Yak-1b, both AMT-11 and 12 are lighter than the Akan acrylic version from several years ago but, again IMO, they do have the tonal contrast most B&W photos show. The Akan paints were supposed to be based on Soviet documentation and both 11 and 12 are very dark

Edited by Chuck1945
Fix typo

The Akan I have is water based acrylic, and pretty well dried solid in their plastic bottles. Akan does have a line of acrylic lacquers that are presumably similar to Hataka and Mr Color although I haven’t ever bought any. I think they are available in the US through Linden Hill  https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/c71/Rus_Lacquers_–_6_packs.html#/

5 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Ok; Akan is acrylic, yes?  Love the description I've seen of them except I've never had luck spraying acrylics.  Obviously the trouble lies with me since thousands of folks apparently do it all the time 😄 

AKAN makes a water based acrylic line, but even though I tried it, I don't like it (like all water based acrylics) and in the beginning they had some sort of quality control problem in that some of the WWII colours came out too dark compared to their modern line of acrylic lacquers.

However, the AKAN acrylic lacquer line (6xxxx series) is fantastic and right up there with Mr Color and MRP. Not only are their colours well researched and now also consistent (see what I wrote above about the early production water based acrylics) but they also seem to have also solved the problem of the paints drying out in the bottles. I think they make their own thinner, but I spray mine with Mr Leveling Thinner and the result is excellent. Sprays well, can be thinned way down to whatever consistency your airbrush works best with, dries quickly, cures hard like all acrylic lacquers. In fact, these days I use Akan almost exclusively for both WWII and modern Soviet/Russian aircraft and Mr Color for most of the rest. But make sure you get the acrylic lacquers:

Water based acrylics (7xxxx)

Enamels - I think now out of production (8xxxx)

Acrylic lacquers (6xxxx)

Don't know about the Soviet colors, but Hataka is my go-to paint for aircraft. Easy on. Nice coverage. Goes on smooth. Being lacquer, it goes on thin, so no details are lost. I use their thinner to shoot it, but use regular lacquer thinner to clean up. Good stuff!

Don BP;)