What color are these F-5E Aggressors?

• Charlie D. changed the title to What color are these F-5E Aggressors?

I was able to download all but the top photo you posted. I pulled them into PhotoShop and ran Auto Color. The third photo down, #43 parked, changed the least, so I'm speculating it's the best rendition of the color of the three. Eyeballing it, the color is extremely close to the bottle of Model Master Aggressor Gray 36251 I'm still hoarding. If it were my project, I'd use that shade, whether Model Master or MRP. It's also apparently produced by LifeColor and AKAN.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:21 AM, seawinder said:

I was able to download all but the top photo you posted. I pulled them into PhotoShop and ran Auto Color. The third photo down, #43 parked, changed the least, so I'm speculating it's the best rendition of the color of the three. Eyeballing it, the color is extremely close to the bottle of Model Master Aggressor Gray 36251 I'm still hoarding. If it were my project, I'd use that shade, whether Model Master or MRP. It's also apparently produced by LifeColor and AKAN.

I thought that a possibility as well, but it seems a bit dark to me, maybe they’re just faded 36251. Might be a good starting point.

come on guys! 200+ views and only one reply? There’s got to be some other ideas out there. 

12 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Here's another....1987 Alconbury FS 36307 Light Sea Grey is looking close....

In the thread you started at Hyperscale, someone stated 36307 to be a 1-to-1 mix of 35237 (Medium Gray) and 36622 (Camouflage Gray). I tried mixing some Model Master paints in that ratio and arrived at something a bit too dark and way too blue when compared to the 36307 chip in my 595B book. I added more 36622 and got something close to 36473 -- lighter than 36307, but still too blue.

I then looked around in 595B for other chips that are close to 36307. The one that leaps out is 36440: the hue is just about dead on, but it's very slightly lighter. I think if you added just a tiny bit of black to Gull Gray, you'd be very close, assuming 36307 is what you're after.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, seawinder said:

In the thread you started at Hyperscale, someone stated 36307 to be a 1-to-1 mix of 35237 (Medium Gray) and 36622 (Camouflage Gray). I tried mixing some Model Master paints in that ratio and arrived at something a bit too dark and way too blue when compared to the 36307 chip in my 595B book. I added more 36622 and got something close to 36473 -- lighter than 36307, but still too blue.

I then looked around in 595B for other chips that are close to 36307. The one that leaps out is 36440: the hue is just about dead on, but it's very slightly lighter. I think if you added just a tiny bit of black to Gull Gray, you'd be very close, assuming 36307 is what you're after.

Wow! Thanks for messing with those colors! I had a buddy who read the thread but didn’t post, he said try to 36440 as well. I’ll definitely put that in my notes to try. I’m printing these out to put with my notes for the eventual build. I’ve got a few kits in front of it first. Now….I just need to find a few more cheaper AFV F-5Es, seems like you can’t find one for under $50!

Edited by Charlie D.
  • 3 weeks later...