Flat for lacquer paint

On 9/3/2021 at 2:18 PM, Dog1 said:

Gunze GSI Mr. Hobby Color Lacquer GX114 Super Smooth Clear Flat

is this the traditional flat you add to your paint ?

Hi Dog 1. GX114 is not something that you "add to your paint" - it is a standalone clear coat. You can thin it with Leveling Thinner.

Here is the product page:

https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product1/category_7/2580.html

It includes a video that shows you its application and comparison to Mr Color C182, which is also pretty good.

Just now, Dog1 said:

GX114 as stand alone and C182 for flatening a paint  ? 

No, they are both stand alone clear coats. The difference is that the GX114 is a newer product with a finer flat pigment, resulting in a smoother finish. In fact, it says so on the product page that I linked - the original product was C182 and the improved product is GX114. In my experience they are both excellent products, but the GX114 is indeed slightly smoother.

I think you are looking for some sort of additive to make the standard Mr Color paints flatter? I have never used those, but in their catalogue, Mr Hobby lists C188 as "flat base rough" and C189 as "flat base smooth". It appears that you can mix these into the standard Mr Color paints to get a satin or flat finish, depending on how much you use - this is probably what you are looking for. As I said, I have no experience with those, so cannot comment on how well they work. I always preferred to tie it all together with a flat top coat.

flat base is something i have never understood and was never in the past able to use it to flaten . I cannot remember 15 years ago what i used to add to flaten a gloss or to flaten further parts or small areas  without using the spray can .  I used to use acrylic and enamel then . I will ask the Tamiya store what they recommend .