19 minutes ago, mario krijan said:

I agree with you Gabor, but in such short period of time, what can you change to be better, and different, compared to version which Americans inspected?? That is for sure big PR from soviet side. Everyone knows that soviet equpment was inferior to the western equpment. 

Hi Mario,

The difference was COMPLETE with brand new equipment to compensate for the loss of information with №31 in Western hands.

For example a brand new IFF system was introduced not only for the Foxbats but for all AF and PVO aircraft which was completely safe for decades after this.

If one looks at some of the comments above then it becomes evident that for example the radar of the MiG-25P wasn’t half as bad as most anticipated or the “Myth” built around Russian equipment’s inferiority. For the upgraded aircraft a brand new radar was introduced as well as the very effective passive infrared search system under the nose.

The change over to new equipment was not so fast and it cost a lot of money to the Soviets to introduce it to the whole fleet. Many things were already in development but Belenkos defection was an enormous kick to accelerate developments and introduce them much earlier than originally intended.

Best regards

Gabor

I understand your point in all. I just want to say that they changed everything, and who knows that this revision was better or it can be worse, what american saw in Japan. There is also Adolf Tokachev who gave a lot mor inforamtion about PD and new Zaslon radar for MiG-31... afterall ukraininas gave americans all data about Tu-160 equipment, and after 25 years russians produce new Tu-160... that shows how hard is to change and improve something soo complex.

9 hours ago, Tomcat Trebor said:

What would be the best way to make a MiG-25P using the ICM kit.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

A lot of work!    : )   : )   : )   : )   : )

Seriously.

There is nothing one can do but to put in a lot of work and scratch build / rescribing!  Sorry!

But first try to find a good scale drawing. It will not be easy. In my opinion there is only one real MiG-25P is really available for research. That is if one is willing to travel to the Medinje some 100 or so km from Moscow. This is the bird which once was in Moscow at the Hodinka airfield.  

P.s. As far as I know ICM has no plan at all in making the MiG-25P in its line of Foxbat kits. (which brings up a good question on how extensive will the ICM 72nd scale MiG-23/27 family of kits, or the "family" word will only cover one MiG-23 and one MiG-27???) 

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

I was 14 years old and watching it on TV. The Mig-25 became one of my all time favourite aircraft after that incident. In my opinion it was a game changer for NATO to get their hands on this airframe.

Brad

• 5 weeks later...

Guys,

I found a treasure trove on the MiG-25 that landed in Japan.

Check these documents that I found on the National Archives website:

Japan - MIG - Incident (1) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG - Incident (2) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG-25 Incident (3) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG - Incident (4) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG-25 Incident (5) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG-25 Incident (6) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG - Incident (7) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

You have to go through ALL of them.  Lots of political information, but also many technical reports.

Good reading

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

I was still active duty USAF, assigned to 9th Strat Recon Wing, Beale AFB, CA (the SR-71 gang) and TDY to Kadena Air Base, Okinawa.  Even working in intelligence with a TOP SECRET security clearance, we didn't have access to information from the MiG-25 bonanza.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, danny59 said:

Guys,

I found a treasure trove on the MiG-25 that landed in Japan.

Check these documents that I found on the National Archives website:

Japan - MIG - Incident (1) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG - Incident (2) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG-25 Incident (3) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG - Incident (4) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG-25 Incident (5) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG-25 Incident (6) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

Japan - MIG - Incident (7) (fordlibrarymuseum.gov)

You have to go through ALL of them.  Lots of political information, but also many technical reports.

Good reading

Danny

Great reading! Thanks for posting!

I was a young  Intelligence Officer at the time, actually still in OPD schooling. We were getting dribs and drabs about the 'treasure trove' the Mig-25 was providing the west.  Seem to remember a comment / complaint that some Japanese toy company was allowed to photograph the Mig-25 prior to the US exploitation efforts. Hasegawa perhaps?