SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

I have to share this!

A mate made me new F4 wing shields, I refuse to use the rubbish jetmads put in the box, and they have arrived!

They are magnificent, just look at this!

20220115_142422.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

Time for the Sunday update

Much ado about nothing

Right, this is where I left it yesterday...

IMG_5752.JPG

Now for one of the most boring paintjobs there are, the protective tape on the wings and fins edges! They are in black and to avoid overspray this means a LOT of masking for little gain, but it has to be done!

IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5755.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

IMG_5757.JPG

Sheeesh, an hour later the masking was done and ready for a minute and half paint session!

IMG_5758.JPG

And after carefully removing all masking  all of this is the result 😛

IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/cc63/Aigore/IMG_5761.JPG

Alright that´s enough for today... more masking tomorrow with the intake lips and the main wheel wells....at least that will be fun 😄

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/cc63/Aigore/IMG_5762.JPG

Cheers!

Ah, Friday again and here thngs are moving on at a steady pace.

Well well, masking wells.

Today I decided to try something new for the intake lips coroguards... a black pen!

IMG_5763.JPG

I only masked thin strips...

IMG_5764.JPG

Well that turned out good enough, maybe next time instead of masking the entire thing I should use a pen instead :P

IMG_5765.JPG

IMG_5766.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

OK I'm sorry about the white balance, the light conditions changed faster than I could change the settings 😛

Anyhoo....I filled in those pesky little spots with stripped paint. A bit of polish on that  and we're fine.

IMG_5768.JPG

Now for the masking bit......ugh.

IMG_5769.JPG

Made a couple of inside the well masks too since the walls and the ceiling in the wells are different colours.

IMG_5770.JPG

About the colour, it was hard to determin if the ceiling is in anodised aluminium or painted in a light gray...  Had me pondering for a bit before I tried two different grays and ran with this lightgray with a pull towards blue as to make  contrast to the gears that have a lightgrays with a pull towars brown.

IMG_5771.JPG

Then I masked the ceiling and shot dark green on the walls.

IMG_5772.JPG

And here is the result, I will start detailpainting later :D

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

Cheers!

And it's Sunday again :D

Shiny!

I detailpainted the main wheel wells with some gray panels and i painte the pipes with a silver pen.

IMG_5793.JPG

Checking my refs I saw a gauge on one of the panels, could be a G meter for the ground crew to see how much G forces the fuselage has sustained.

I had a nice decal I could use anyway :D

IMG_5794.JPG

And put in place.

IMG_5795.JPG

Next I had to glue these small things in place, I think they are for when ground crew loads the pylons, they fasten a mobile hand cranked winch  in them

IMG_5796.JPG

Glued in place, I will hand paint them later.

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

I noticed that I had not got rid of those print lines from the main gear doors so more putty ....yay.

IMG_5800.JPG

I had to sand all wheel well doors

IMG_5801.JPG

Then I primed the forward radar sensors in Alclad flat black.

IMG_5802.JPG

And the outer faces of the MLG doors got primed in gray and then painted in the belly main color.

IMG_5804.JPG

LAstly I put down a few layers of gloss varnish over all.

IMG_5805.JPG

IMG_5806.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

There that´s all for today, tomorrow some wheel well weathering and other small stuff :D

Cheers!

35 minutes ago, BastianD said:

If I want to build a 1/48 Viggen, which kit would you recommend?

There are really only two kits.  The old (late 70’s) ESCI kit (also reboxed by Airfix and Italeri, which is crude, simplified, and not particularly accurate, or the much newer (mid 2010’s) Special Hobby/Tarangus kits which are much better detailed and more accurate.  The Special Hobby/Tarangus kits are much, much better.

Edited by Dave Williams
7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

There are really only two kits.  The old (late 70’s) ESCI kit (also reboxed by Airfix and Italeri, which is crude, simplified, and not particularly accurate, or the much newer (mid 2010’s) Special Hobby/Tarangus kits which are much better detailed and more accurate.  The Special Hobby/Tarangus kits are much, much better.

+1

Here it's important to buy the correct box of the Tarangus kit since the first release of the kit had many issues wich they corrected with a sprue in later editions.

The fun thing however is that in all releases you can build a standard AJ or a JA besides that particular version on the box cover and you get a sizeable PE sheet for the cockpit and the ejection seat.

16 hours ago, BastianD said:

And how can I check if I have the right version, when something is available to buy?

All new boxings should have the corrections by now...but if you want you can post a link and I can see that it's a corrected boxing 🙂

14 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Beautiful work ..! :thumbsup:

-Gregg

Thanks Gregg 😄

I put the sensors aside for now and sanded the gear bay doors.... darn layers!

IMG_5840.JPG

After repriming one looked good...

IMG_5841.JPG

While the other still needs work, demn it....well the thick primer coat has to cure before I can do anything.

IMG_5842.JPG

Well then, time to cut the cabbot from the block, fragile thing...hoping for the best!

IMG_5843.JPG

I somehow managed to not damage it...yay, good for me!

IMG_5844.JPG

It fits into the canopy like this and the hinges of the canopy are part of the cabbot

IMG_5845.JPG

I cleaned the cabbot and then I glued on the rear mirrors.

IMG_5846.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

Then a thick flat black primer coat and off to cure.

IMG_5848.JPG

Next I added the fins to the drop tank...incredibly thin and fragile....and full of printlines.

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG

I finish today's session with  glueing on the radar sensors, they look really smart :D

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5852.JPG

Hope I get the decals tomorrow then I can start with the decals this weekend.

Cheers!

Aigore,

SPLENDID  work to date and each time I come to check out your build , I am Amazed by your Excellent  workmanship!

:worship:   :worship:

oh the photos  are sharp and clear.

:banana:

Edited by HOLMES